"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #851
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Thanks guys! Unfortunately I threw the shell pieces away, not realizing my piece of tooth was gone. Though I was able to save a piece of filling....how it stayed on my jacket, I have no idea.

Hmm. This tooth Bondo really interests me, will check Walmart. Thanks, Jkath!

I'd thought about trying an emery board or one of my Dremel attachments (minus the Dremel) to file down the razor-sharp edge of the leftover filling. DH was saying how I'd probably need a cap, but I just don't have time for that next week.
Oh no! I hope that Bondo stuff works for you. Just thinking about filing it smooth makes my teeth hurt.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #852
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Grrr. Got a handful of healthy Costco almonds, munching on them one at a time. Uh oh, I crunched on a piece of shell. OK, fished the tiny shell out of my mouth. Uh oh, another piece of shell. Threw it away too. Then my tongue touched a previously filled molar, and there's a big hole, part of my tooth is gone! The filling that's left has a razor edge, and while it doesn't hurt, it's uncomfortable. Called the dentist, got the answering machine, they don't work on Friday. And we go on vacation next week. Grrrrr!!
There is something to be said about buying in bulk as to name brands. You run the risk of getting those little pieces of shell in bulk bins. Name brands have the machinery to blow out these shell peices. But I still buy in bulk.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #853
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Oh no! I hope that Bondo stuff works for you. Just thinking about filing it smooth makes my teeth hurt.
Thanks Taxy. I used some marine grade filler to patch up our shower after the cleaning lady put a hole in the bottom of the shower by dropping something heavy. I'm gonna look up the ingredients and see if it's food/tooth safe.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #854
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

There is something to be said about buying in bulk as to name brands. You run the risk of getting those little pieces of shell in bulk bins. Name brands have the machinery to blow out these shell peices. But I still buy in bulk.
These were in a sealed package, Addie. I'd portioned some out, and had some in a ziplock in the fridge for snacking. They're incredibly clean, I've never had pieces of shell. I took out about 12 nuts. The shell pieces were apparently stuck on one almond kernal.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #855
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Walgreen's also has tooth filler...I have a can of spackle...
Old 03-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #856
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Walgreen's also has tooth filler...I have a can of spackle...
Me too. I also have various colors of wood putty. Tooth's in the back, so no one will see it.

Just looked down the basement, can't find the aqua putty stuff. Trip to Walmart/Walgreen's tomorrow.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #857
Executive Chef

Dawg, I have used that "temporary tooth filler". It works. The one I have is Temparin by DenTek. The ingredients are calcium sulphate, paraffin, zinc oxide powder, potassium aluminum, aluminum sulphate, aluminum phosphate, Eugenol and menthol. It should be available at any drug store. (Hope you aren't allergic to "aluminum" ;) ). Good luck!
Old 03-02-2013, 04:25 AM   #858
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
These were in a sealed package, Addie. I'd portioned some out, and had some in a ziplock in the fridge for snacking. They're incredibly clean, I've never had pieces of shell. I took out about 12 nuts. The shell pieces were apparently stuck on one almond kernal.
Hazel nuts are like that. Almost impossible to remove all of the shell and certainly the skins.

Good luck with your tooth. Mine are sitting in water in the bathroom in case you might want to temporarily borrow them. All you friends have been so helpful with offers, I didn't want to feel left out.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #859
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Addie!

Thanks Bunny, will look for it!

And...I found it at the Dollar Store! Yay!
Old 03-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #860
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

You guys are the best! Got the tooth Bondo (DenTek, that Bunny recommended), rolled it into a ball, and stuck it in the hole. My shredded tongue and I both thank you! Will call the dentist Monday to see if he can get me in very soon.