"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #901
Master Chef

I am still more than a little frustrated with hospital bills. I don't know what to do but sit and wait. The hard part is discussing it with my husband. Can we take them to the tax guy. I rather doubt it, especially considering that I haven't gotten all the bills yet. there is still something like five figures outstanding. I have no idea how much my two insurance policies are going to pay. My problem is .... pay it, don't pay it, but I sure as heck couldn't get away with saying, oh, gee, in a year or two I'll think maybe i'll pay my premium. I'm paying my premiums, they cannot be bothered to pay the hospital so I can be billed for the rest? Anyway, you cannot take a deduction on a bill you haven't paid because this bill hasn't been presented to you for payment. You know that painting, "the scream?"

Old 03-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #902
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Maybe you could talk to a Supervisor and find out what you need to do to get his account to be a joint account.

My Mom added me to her charge account, and arranged for me to have my own card on the same account with my name on it.
Yes, we discussed that today. Next Monday we will be going to see about a joint card. I already have my own card for the joint checking, both of us should be on the credit card, too! I don't want to have to build "my own" credit in the future.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:32 AM   #903
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Yes, we discussed that today. Next Monday we will be going to see about a joint card. I already have my own card for the joint checking, both of us should be on the credit card, too! I don't want to have to build "my own" credit in the future.
A little known fact. Banks and other financial institutions have someone read the obits in the morning and if any of their customers' name show up, they check to see if it is a joint account. If it isn't, they freeze the account immediately and you have to get a court order and go through probate to be able to get access to it. That included safe deposit boxes also. For that reason, my daughter's name is on all my accounts. More than likely, your spouse will need some cash upon your death. Being able to gain access to their account if there is more money in it than yours can save the day for the surviving spouse. Just thought you would like to know.

How do I know this? I took a six week course in banking. At the end of the course when I discovered how little bank employees get paid, I decided to go back to being an Executive Secretary. Also did you know if you are $10 or less overdrawn for a check that has insufficient funds in the account, the bank will usually honor it and take out the difference at your next deposit. You will still be charge any applicable fees. Just don't make a habit of it. They have the discretion of closing your account and give you a check for the balance.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #904
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Something to check on. If you're joint with Shreck on a credit card, I don't think you get any credit rating benefit. Many married women who are widowed or divorced find they have no credit because they never had their own credit.

If you each have your own separate credit card accounts with the same bank, you can often link them so you are able to do transactions on each others accounts.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #905
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Something to check on. If you're joint with Shreck on a credit card, I don't think you get any credit rating benefit. Many married women who are widowed or divorced find they have no credit because they never had their own credit.

If you each have your own separate credit card accounts with the same bank, you can often link them so you are able to do transactions on each others accounts.
The problem here is, he got the credit card on my credit rating, everything we have except this credit card we are joints owners of, i.e. the car, the checking account, the bills. I have been paying for everything on my own since he retired 5 years ago. So, you are saying I should go get my own credit card?
Old 03-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #906
Certified Pretend Chef

I think it worth discussing this with the bank/financial adviser to understand the differences.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #907
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thanks, Andy!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #908
Master Chef

I need a holiday! Without children lol!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #909
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
A little known fact. Banks and other financial institutions have someone read the obits in the morning and if any of their customers' name show up, they check to see if it is a joint account. If it isn't, they freeze the account immediately and you have to get a court order and go through probate to be able to get access to it. That included safe deposit boxes also.
Are you sure this still applies Addie? My father died in 2004 and some of his accounts were active until just last year when we found the last one and rolled it over to Mom. Nothing was frozen though. Not credit cards, not bank accounts, everything remained active until we provided a death certificate to the bank, the phone company etc etc.

My petty vent of the day is that I have so many little chores I'm avoiding doing ANY of them. LOL. Stupid internet being so stupidly entertaining!

Old 03-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #910
Chef Extraordinaire

I wrote to the mayor today. I'm a bit peeved that I put out one bag of garbage every 6 months and pay the same on my property tax bill as my neighbour who puts out 6 bags every 2 weeks. I recycle, compost, and burn (I have a woodstove to heat my house). I don't buy a lot of canned or bottled goods. Why can't the city do a "tag per bag" thing so those who don't put out a lot of garbage don't have to pay???? Oh, and my green bin, that's what I use to store the girls' food. My three composters work just fine for "biogradeable" waste.