"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #921
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
One of the good laws in this country is if you have an life insurance policy and designate a beneficiary, then your estate does not need to go through probate. That beneficiary is considered by law your designated executor. They can open that deposit box without a court order.
Addie, probate laws vary by state. Also, a life insurance policy is separate from the estate, so even if a beneficiary receives the life insurance proceeds, the rest of the estate may need to go through probate. If there is a will designating an executor, that will not be superceded by the life insurance beneficiary.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #922
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
Had the worst pain ever last night. Felt like a hot poker shot through my right lower back. Feeling better and atleast I know what the cause was. I passed a huge kidney stone. It still hurts but less. Probably have some kidney infection too.
Just glad it's not something more serious. Big relief!!!!!

I've passed stones before but much smaller ones, the pain was much worse this time.
__________________

__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #923
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Had the worst pain ever last night. Felt like a hot poker shot through my right lower back. Feeling better and atleast I know what the cause was. I passed a huge kidney stone. It still hurts but less. Probably have some kidney infection too.
Just glad it's not something more serious. Big relief!!!!!

I've passed stones before but much smaller ones, the pain was much worse this time.
Now there is one thing I don't have wrong with me. My kidneys are nice and healthy. Good enough for transplant.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #924
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Now there is one thing I don't have wrong with me. My kidneys are nice and healthy. Good enough for transplant.
I have a long list of messed up insides
My liver is perfect though!
They say God gives you problems you can handle, so I must be pretty bad a$$
I'm much better today
I'm not complaining, it could have been worse!
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:45 PM   #925
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I'm joint user and POA on all Mom's accounts EXCEPT for her safety deposit box. This meant a very large headache and a late lunch date when I went to clear it and close it out last week. Sheesh. I was patient, because honestly, I'd rather they were TOO careful with Mom's stuff than not careful enough.

I'm not sure I'd have been happy with things getting slammed shut upon Dad's death. That would have made for some significant hassles for us as executors and trying to settle all the affairs. Glad that the laws here seem to be a little different than they are for you all.

No more vents for me today, I decided the most energetic thing I'm doing today is a quick grocery shop.
When a friend's dad died, her mom was the one who was declared dead. I can't remember how this happened. Anyway, she didn't know she was legally "dead" until she went to use her credit card to pay for her newspaper subscription and it was declined because the cardholder was deceased. Needless to say, she was not. It took six months to fix that. She's still alive today 10 years later.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:37 AM   #926
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
When a friend's dad died, her mom was the one who was declared dead. I can't remember how this happened. Anyway, she didn't know she was legally "dead" until she went to use her credit card to pay for her newspaper subscription and it was declined because the cardholder was deceased. Needless to say, she was not. It took six months to fix that. She's still alive today 10 years later.
Your tax dollars at work...Eeek!
__________________
jharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #927
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,135
My drivers license was up for renewal, so I went to the local DMV. OMG. Worst. Picture. Ever. The temporary is in black and white, I shudder to see the color one they send me. I'm gonna draw on a paper bag, or put a tiny flip up sticky note on it. Hideous.

Can't believe the woman who took it didn't show it to me and ask if I wanted a do-over. And I'm stuck with it for 5 years! Gah!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #928
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
My drivers license was up for renewal, so I went to the local DMV. OMG. Worst. Picture. Ever. The temporary is in black and white, I shudder to see the color one they send me. I'm gonna draw on a paper bag, or put a tiny flip up sticky note on it. Hideous.

Can't believe the woman who took it didn't show it to me and ask if I wanted a do-over. And I'm stuck with it for 5 years! Gah!
I once had the world's worst photo taken at Costco. I was looking at the black and white version of the photo. Then I found out that my Costco AMEX was going to use the same picture!

I got the AMEX card and the pic was great in colour. Phew. Maybe you will luck out too.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #929
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I once had the world's worst photo taken at Costco. I was looking at the black and white version of the photo. Then I found out that my Costco AMEX was going to use the same picture!

I got the AMEX card and the pic was great in colour. Phew. Maybe you will luck out too.
Sure hope so. I see myself everyday in the mirror, and I've never looked this scary, AFAIK. Thanks, TL!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:09 AM   #930
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Sure hope so. I see myself everyday in the mirror, and I've never looked this scary, AFAIK. Thanks, TL!
My Costco card has the first picture taken with no teeth... Back when I was still getting used to them.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.