Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ctrl, Alt, Del shuts down your computer instantly. I have had to use it only a couple of times in the past few years.

Doesn't really work with Windog 7.

I have Windows 7 and I just tried it. It shut down my computer so fast. And I had five windows open at the same time. One was an excel sheet. Didn't even asked me if I wanted to save any changes. :huh:

Thanks for that, TL, that's my operating system.

Actually, except for the updating problem, System Restore is a great fix. As soon as I notice anything acting hinky, I use that.

I think I'll have to get better virus protection, McAfee comes "free" with my cable connection, but I just don't trust it. I've had it instead of using Defender for a couple of years now, and it just doesn't catch things like the audio spam. Not good, in fact, as far as I can tell, Windows Defender works better.

Anyone can jump in here and tell me of a better way. My computer is so important to me. If it goes out on me, it will take me a couple of months to get back online at home. That's not a prospect I want to even think about.

I do, however, have access to computers downstairs, but it's not like being able to sign on anytime I want, like at 1, 2, or 3 a.m.

Last edited:

Actually, except for the updating problem, System Restore is a great fix. As soon as I notice anything acting hinky, I use that.

I think I'll have to get better virus protection, McAfee comes "free" with my cable connection, but I just don't trust it. I've had it instead of using Defender for a couple of years now, and it just doesn't catch things like the audio spam. Not good, in fact, as far as I can tell, Windows Defender works better.

Anyone can jump in here and tell me of a better way. My computer is so important to me. If it goes out on me, it will take me a couple of months to get back online. That's not a prospect I want to even think about.

Norton comes free with our cable. We did have McAffee, but the cable company was getting too many complaints. Since we got Norton, it works great. When it catch a spam or virus it flashes a notice on the screen. My son's laptop is wireless through my computer. He loves to surf the web and often will try to open a site that has a virus. Norton won't let him. I told him the day he gives me a virus, he loses his connection from my computer. Then he will have to get his own account and pay for it. But he is not worried about it because Norton stops him. I love Norton. :yum:

I'm the vice president of a club. We asked our treasurer to go to the bank with a couple of members of the executive and tell the bank that we want two signatures and three signing officers. We had not been able to write a cheque while the treasurer was on vacation, since she was the only signing officer. We had several other issues with the way she was handling her position.

Tempers flared. Feelings were hurt. Emails went out to the entire club with innuendos and/or accusations. Also politicking and posturing and attempts to take over the club. Yikes! I don't need this drama.

Just curious, what kind of club?

Dramaholics are people to be avoided. They try so hard to suck you into their game. Once you get caught up, you're just fodder for their entertainment.

Just curious, what kind of club?

Dramaholics are people to be avoided. They try so hard to suck you into their game. Once you get caught up, you're just fodder for their entertainment.

I specifically didn't mention what kind of club, because a member could join DC.

Some friends of ours gave us a Samsung colour printer. They had bought it in France. We got the thingee to convert the power to 220V. It has the nice feature that if one colour of ink runs out, you only replace that one colour.

The black ink ran out. We bought a cartridge for $76. It doesn't work. Samsung country codes their ink. I'm furious. It will be a long time before I buy anything made by Samsung. Now DH will have to go find some refilled cartridges.

This country coding has gotten out of hand. I have a friend who buys Danish DVDs, when he is in Denmark. He can only play them because he also bought a Danish DVD player.

cool, I had no idea about country coding. Will make sure not to buy anything in France, next time I am there. Sorry, I know you are frustrated, but could not help my self.

Zhizara said:

Anyone can jump in here and tell me of a better way. My computer is so important to me. If it goes out on me, it will take me a couple of months to get back online at home. That's not a prospect I want to even think about.

I do, however, have access to computers downstairs, but it's not like being able to sign on anytime I want, like at 1, 2, or 3 a.m.

My previous employer used AVG. You can get a free version and it's easy to install. It wotks well but can use up a lot of system resources and slow down older systems.

My hisband and I use Comodo. It's a security suit that includes a firewall and antivirus. It's also free. It works well but is less user friendly. It uses significantly less system resources than AVG though.

You should also look into Spybot and AddAware. Spybot is completely free and AddAware has a free version. They are both easy to use and target spam ware/add ware/spy ware specifically. You don't want to keep them running but instead do a scan periodically and when you think you have a problem. Just make sure you are only scanning with one program at a time.

Someone needs to tell the people who design women's clothing that most women have butts and hips and boobs. I'm not built like that. I'm 36-28-40. In any other era, I wouldn't have trouble finding clothing. Designers seem to be under the impression that women are built much like prepubescent boys. Also, this whole shapeless fad needs to die. NOW. It makes me look like a damn cow.

I love my husband, really I do. But sometimes I just want to shove a handful of ice cubes down his pants and tell him, "There, now you have a reason to grouch at me!"

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Shrek had a screwdriver and instructions to assemble an over the door towel rack...I know how you feel! Then the assembly of the shower rack...:ROFLMAO:

PrincessFiona60 said:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Shrek had a screwdriver and instructions to assemble an over the door towel rack...I know how you feel! Then the assembly of the shower rack...:ROFLMAO:

Rol just woke up grouchy. Mumbled something about not wanting to go shopping today and then grouched about not being able to find any socks (they were in the dryer). Further grouching and mumbling followed until after he'd taken his shower.

Someone needs to tell the people who design women's clothing that most women have butts and hips and boobs. I'm not built like that. I'm 36-28-40. In any other era, I wouldn't have trouble finding clothing. Designers seem to be under the impression that women are built much like prepubescent boys. Also, this whole shapeless fad needs to die. NOW. It makes me look like a damn cow.

I look like a stuffed sausage...:ermm: I'm 5 foot nothing and have no waist. I go from boobs to hips, nothing looks good on me, except burlap.

Rol just woke up grouchy. Mumbled something about not wanting to go shopping today and then grouched about not being able to find any socks (they were in the dryer). Further grouching and mumbling followed until after he'd taken his shower.

Mine was upset when I told him that he was putting one of the shelves on upside down...:ermm: But, did he want me to go away and leave him to it?:LOL:

I look like a stuffed sausage...:ermm: I'm 5 foot nothing and have no waist. I go from boobs to hips, nothing looks good on me, except burlap.

A good wide belt can create the illusion of a waist. I have a short torso and I use belts to create a more defined waist. Otherwise, I tend to look rather... large.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom