Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stubbs, I do work with kids and you've had lots of great advice here. If its the crappy food they're getting into then either don't buy/make it or put it somewhere inaccessible to them.

It sounds like you have two issues going on. One being that they get up, and the other being they are eating what you don't want them to eat.

If it is not a financial burden, then make the food that is accessible to the kids healthy stuff. Put a veggie platter or a fruit plate in the fridge perhaps. Try putting healthy cereals down low, or crackers that you don't mind them eating. Keep everything that they SHOULDN'T have up high or put child locks on the cupboards. Limit how much you put down on the lower shelves to smaller amounts. Refill the shelves when its necessary, but don't be in a huge rush to do it.

I don't know how easy it is for you to access a dietician, but a nutritionist or dietician has training and knowledge about how best to address overeating issues.

Also, you have mentioned your child is ADHD, is he/she on any medication? If NOT then don't be surprised by how much food he needs. ADHD is like having your cars motor running really fast all the time, it requires more fuel than an engine idling normally. If your child is on medication, do not be surprised if their appetite diminishes or disappears altogether. Every medication is different.

I'm not a big help on the sleep issue. Retraining kids to a different sleep schedule is a lot of work and I've never done it. Sorry about that!

just a quick side rant: i weeded my entire garden this past week, producing 4 large bags of weeds.(i would have composted it, but that's another story).

i put them out with the garbage, but the garbage men just tore them open trying to pick them up one handed, spilling them into the street. my wife saw this and asked the garbage men if they were going to clean it up, but they just said " too heavy lady. too heavy", and they drove on.

too heavy. are they milktoasts? pantywaists? a bunch o' marys?

i carried two bags out to the corner at a time! yeah they were heavy, but gimme a break. i'm not superman.

i can't wait 'till saturday. i'm gonna break the bags of weeds down into little food shopping bags, and bring out an old dress for the garbage men to see if they might fit in it. lol.

should be fun. :cool:

just a quick side rant: i weeded my entire garden this past week, producing 4 large bags of weeds.(i would have composted it, but that's another story).

i put them out with the garbage, but the garbage men just tore them open trying to pick them up one handed, spilling them into the street. my wife saw this and asked the garbage men if they were going to clean it up, but they just said " too heavy lady. too heavy", and they drove on.

too heavy. are they milktoasts? pantywaists? a bunch o' marys?

i carried two bags out to the corner at a time! yeah they were heavy, but gimme a break. i'm not superman.

i can't wait 'till saturday. i'm gonna break the bags of weeds down into little food shopping bags, and bring out an old dress for the garbage men to see if they might fit in it. lol.

should be fun. :cool:
Don't let them get to you BT that's the pits to have to put up with lazy fannies. Our use to give us that crap now they can't they have a truck that lifts and empties the garbage cans the only time they get out of that truck is to pick and take bags of apples or peaches. Talk about nerve!!!!
kades

they get out of that truck is to pick and take bags of apples or peaches. Talk about nerve!!!!
kades

I'd be having something to say to their employer about that. Get the number off the truck and call it in. Our homeowner association landscapers have probably now gotten the association involved in a lawsuit and public relations nightmare because they couldn't keep their hands off mangoes and avocados that belonged to a homeowner. And, to top that one off, we've had more homeowners come forward with complaints about them picking their fruit.

Many might think my vent today is about the fact my beloved hockey team lost the Stanley Cup last night; however, this is not the case. I am so proud of them for all they accomplished this year and will keep cheering for them no matter what. Boston beat them fair and square - it was a battle of the goalies and Tim Thomas was by far the victor.

My vent is for what happened after. 17 years ago we lost the cup to the New York Rangers (in New York) and riots occurred all over Vancouver. Police cars (and others) were turned over and set on fire, stores were looted, people were hurt and so on.

The City officials this time around put two plans in motion - if we won they were planning a parade for Friday, if we lost they had a riot strategy all set.

No one was prepared for what really went down. Literally minutes after the game ended the 100,000 people gather on the City streets turned ugly. Again cars were set on fire as were garbage cans and molitof cocktails (clearly premeditated) were thrown into the crowds and at buildings. Fences which had been set up as barricades became weapons as people were literally throwing them at each other. People were trampled, stabbed and one was even pushed off a viaduct onto the road below.

My best friend's husband, a police officer with the canine squad was off duty but felt the need to go in, as did several of his squad teammates. They were set up on perimeters with the dogs to try and guide people out of the area. He was out until 1:30 am and got home around 3, still caught in a sea of people and cars. Their 13 year-old son couldn't get to sleep until after midnight because he was so afraid for his Dad.

The one good thing was that is was evident in the second period we would not win and so parents started leaving the area with their young children then. I would hate to have seen what would have happened if they remained.

I know that this happens elsewhere but that doesn't make it any better. I am very embarrassed that Vancouver fans are getting a reputation of being "sore losers". One news person from the states (won't mention where) went so far as to say that we should be better at taking losses as the Canucks have been practicing it for 40 years.

I am very proud of our hockey team, but not my fellow fans.

perhaps the city should impose a $1000 surcharge on each home game tickets to cover the damages.

should work - either the fans shape up or the team goes bankrupt - problem solved.

perhaps the city should impose a $1000 surcharge on each home game tickets to cover the damages.

should work - either the fans shape up or the team goes bankrupt - problem solved.

It wasn't so much the fans INSIDE the arena (who already forked out a lot for the tickets). There was an estimated 100,000 people on the streets of Vancouver watching the games on Jumbo-trons located in two cordoned off areas of the downtown area. The action started before the arena fans even got out of their seats (they actually stayed a bit to pay respect to the winners and goodbye to their team).

There is talk that should we make it to the final next year they will just completely block off the downtown area and only allow ticket holders (or people who need to be there for work reasons) in before, during and after the games. The whole reason for putting the giant screens up this year was to try and localize and control the people.

The main problem is that no matter how hard they tried to stop people from bringing in liquor, they did anyway (some even said they were having more fun hiding it than drinking it).

I understand your feelings. I saw it last night on the news and was saddened that such an ugly thing was happening in such a beautiful city. Similar things have happened here. The Boston riot police were out in force last night to keep the peace. People were not allowed to gather. They were kept moving.

That newscaster you mentioned was a poor sport and classless. I feel the same about all the Boston sports talk show people I've been listening to who were childish in some of their comments.

If the opposing hockey players can be gracious to each other, we should all take a lesson form that.

I watched an exciting series. Both teams played well.

Thanks, Andy, and congratulations to you and your team. It was a well played series for sure.

I just heard that the man who was pushed off the viaduct has died from his injuries and the person who did it has turned himself in. That doesn't make up for what he did, but at least he showed some remorse.

As an American I tend to think of Canadians as more civilized, more well mannered than we are. So the post really surprised me. I know those things tend to happen when any Detroit team (my home state team) loses but I was amazed to hear of that sort of thing happening in Canada. I guess we are all fallible human beings. Just wish we could all be more civilized.

I wonder,,,, after the gore in the coliseum, did the Romans riot?

perhaps it should be played as "hockey-finals-to-the-death"?

As an American I tend to think of Canadians as more civilized, more well mannered than we are. So the post really surprised me. I know those things tend to happen when any Detroit team (my home state team) loses but I was amazed to hear of that sort of thing happening in Canada. I guess we are all fallible human beings. Just wish we could all be more civilized.

It was a group of people who had planned this all out ahead of time and didn't care if the Canucks won or lost. That is the sad part - they ruined it for everyone who was genuine.

But your last statement there is sadly true.

I wonder,,,, after the gore in the coliseum, did the Romans riot? perhaps it should be played as "hockey-finals-to-the-death"?

With some of the injuries that hockey players are receiving these days it is too close to that for comfort already.

grrr another bummer of a day sewing. makes me nuts!!

And yet, Babetoo, if someone came and took away all your sewing supplies & your machine, you would no doubt long to have them again, frustrations and all.

You're an inspiration with your many projects, and I hope you'll be able to post photos one of these days. :)

Elderly opinionated mother + horrid evil sister who despises same + self-centered/scattered SIL + clueless brother + clueless DH + adorable 3 yr old niece with boundless energy + extremely tolerant and well-behaved dog + 6 hour drive through big city traffic = Shriek!!! Scream!!! Ripping out of hair!!! Looking for nearest bridge to leap from for a merciful release. Family reunions ( at least mine) totally suck!!!

Finally arrived home following another 6 hour drive through big city traffic. Dog and I are no longer shaking. Horrible weekend. Never again!

Elderly opinionated mother + horrid evil sister who despises same + self-centered/scattered SIL + clueless brother + clueless DH + adorable 3 yr old niece with boundless energy + extremely tolerant and well-behaved dog + 6 hour drive through big city traffic = Shriek!!! Scream!!! Ripping out of hair!!! Looking for nearest bridge to leap from for a merciful release. Family reunions ( at least mine) totally suck!!!

Finally arrived home following another 6 hour drive through big city traffic. Dog and I are no longer shaking. Horrible weekend. Never again!

Sounds like you, Dog and Niece should take a second car next time.:ROFLMAO:

PrincessFiona60 said:
Sounds like you, Dog and Niece should take a second car next time.:ROFLMAO:

Yeah. My right eye is still twitching. We all descended to visit said niece who lives in the city along with bro and SIL. Had to import the rest of us.

Quoth the raven: Nevermore. Good grief, it was horrid.

Last edited:
I was laid off as a kitchen manager on Sunday. My boss has finally decided to throw in the towel. She is being hounded by her former partners over money, shares, etc.. She tried very hard to make things go this past year. I don't blame her one bit, and believe that she will be better off without the stress. I hope her nothing but the best.

I can pick up some drumming jobs that I used to pass up because of cooking. Musician and cook isn't a good combination. One job has me getting home at 2 a.m. while the other has me up at 5 a.m. Plus, I already have a message on my machine from a guy I know who owns a meat shop deli type place. He asked me to come and work for him before, but I was just getting going with this last restaurant.
Oh, well, I will enjoy sitting in my boxers drinking coffee until 10 a.m. as long as I can.:LOL:

I was laid off as a kitchen manager on Sunday. My boss has finally decided to throw in the towel. She is being hounded by her former partners over money, shares, etc.. She tried very hard to make things go this past year. I don't blame her one bit, and believe that she will be better off without the stress. I hope her nothing but the best.

I can pick up some drumming jobs that I used to pass up because of cooking. Musician and cook isn't a good combination. One job has me getting home at 2 a.m. while the other has me up at 5 a.m. Plus, I already have a message on my machine from a guy I know who owns a meat shop deli type place. He asked me to come and work for him before, but I was just getting going with this last restaurant.
Oh, well, I will enjoy sitting in my boxers drinking coffee until 10 a.m. as long as I can.:LOL:

That stinks for both of you. Sounds like you have some options available that will keep the wolf from the door. I wish you luck in finding the right situation.

Back
Top Bottom