Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was able to copy my Favorites file to the bookmarks. It's awkward, but usable.

It just think it was really irresponsible to offer an upgrade that didn't fix what was wrong with the previous version.

I'm sorry to hear of your problems. That's a new one. I just upgraded to FF 5 on my SO's PC and my MAC with no problems. There may have been an underlying issue that caused your losing your bookmarks.

I'm sorry to hear of your problems. That's a new one. I just upgraded to FF 5 on my SO's PC and my MAC with no problems. There may have been an underlying issue that caused your losing your bookmarks.

Favorites aren't bookmarks. It works similarly, but it much easier to use and organize. I had an add on "sameoldfavorites" that allowed me to keep using it.

Bookmarks doesn't sort things the way I want them, has a ton of junk that automatically comes up so that I have to wade through it all to find a favorite link, like DC Power User.

Adding a new Favorite adds it to my Favorites wherever I use it, FF, IE, etc. The order I put them in stays the way I set it up too.

I almost didn't go with Firefox because of that flaw.

To solve it, I copied my Favorites file, and bookmarked it. It shows up at the bottom of the Bookmark files list of junk. When I click on it I get a whole listing of the files, and they link just fine.

I'm really burnt about the tabs. When they upgraded to 4.0 it turned my unused tabs a darkish gray. It's almost impossible to read.

I had that solved with the "colorful tabs" add on, that is now not supported by 5.0.:angry:

I don't know why it's different for you, but "favorites" and "Bookmarks" are identical on my computer (Windows XP3) are are quite editable and manageable. Whenever I change one, the other is changed also. I've deleted all of the pre-loaded "garbage" links, and created folders for my personal form of organization (Art, Photography, Food & Drink, etc.) plus sub-folders. The problem you're having is one reason I don't use add-ons that aren't completely supported by the primary program. It's too easy to lose important information.

My "colorful tabs" works just fine. I only had one out of eight add-ons that no longer works, and it wasn't important.

I suggest you go into your control panel, delete Mozilla Firefox 5, and then, using Internet Explorer, download a clean copy of the Mozilla Firefox 5 installation program and run it. Your "favorites" shouldn't be affected.

Last edited:
My techie life "ended" about 10 years ago now, but this is basically what I know. Bookmarks (Firefox) and Favourites (IE) have the same function; however, they belong to different browsers/companies and so have different programming. I use them both separately in their browsers. However, I was aware that there are applications which will allow you to access the same links on both but don't know anything about these. Z, you seem to do your homework on stuff like that so would know more than me. :)

My techie life "ended" about 10 years ago now, but this is basically what I know. Bookmarks (Firefox) and Favourites (IE) have the same function; however, they belong to different browsers/companies and so have different programming. I use them both separately in their browsers. However, I was aware that there are applications which will allow you to access the same links on both but don't know anything about these. Z, you seem to do your homework on stuff like that so would know more than me. :)

LP, "favorites" isn't a function of Internet Explorer nor Firefox. Its a function of Windows, and all browsers draw information from this same file, so that whenever you change its information, such as adding a new bookmark, it is reflected by all programs that draw "favorites" information.

(My computer support information began in 1970 - with government mainframes; I worked for American Freightways Trucking Co. as a Computer Tech Support Operator during the 1990s, and I passed the Microsoft Technical Support Course in 1996 - not that I remember anything these days... I swear I'm going senile! :ROFLMAO: - so take my advice with a grain of salt.)

Last edited:
I don't know why it's different for you, but "favorites" and "Bookmarks" are identical on my computer (Windows XP3) are are quite editable and manageable. Whenever I change one, the other is changed also. I've deleted all of the pre-loaded "garbage" links, and created folders for my personal form of organization (Art, Photography, Food & Drink, etc.) plus sub-folders. The problem you're having is one reason I don't use add-ons that aren't completely supported by the primary program. It's too easy to lose important information.

My "colorful tabs" works just fine. I only had one out of eight add-ons that no longer works, and it wasn't important.

I suggest you go into your control panel, delete Mozilla Firefox 5, and then, using Internet Explorer, download a clean copy of the Mozilla Firefox 5 installation program and run it. Your "favorites" shouldn't be affected.

It must be because I have Windows 7. Don't upgrade. I haven't had one that was any improvement, and mostly they take away things I do like.

When FF 5.0 installed, it notified me that 3 of my add ons were no longer supported including "same old favorites" and "colorful tabs" I didn't catch the name of the other one because I was already livid by that time.

Thanks, Selkie for the correction. My hubby or "know-it-all-computer-geek" as I lovingly referred to when I first met him ;) peaked over my shoulder as he was kissing me goodbye and corrected me as well. Didn't have time to correct myself here. And I do remember that he has connected the file for me to my browsers when I have changed them or when I got my new netbook.

...When FF 5.0 installed, it notified me that 3 of my add ons were no longer supported including "same old favorites" and "colorful tabs" I didn't catch the name of the other one because I was already livid by that time.

I lost the reader add-on when I installed FF5.

I will have to go read it too. I get so remiss about that! I am starting mine back up soon so at least I will be in the neighbourhood.

My wimpy vent - I am loosing the nail off my thumb. I have no idea why, what I did or even when it started. But nothing we have tried will stop it. There is an area that looks like there might be a sliver in it, but there isn't - or maybe it is infected. Now, the cuticle which is still far from the problem is starting to discolour and hurt, and there are tiny scratches on the skin beneath the cuticle which are red and sore.

DH keeps saying I should see about it but between ER trips for my asthma, going to visit my Dad and dealing with his doctors, I don't have the time or inclination to add any more to the mix. But I don't want to lose my nail. And you don't realize how much you use your thumb until you can't.

Told you it was wimpy, but I feel better for getting it out.
That's not wimpy! You really should have it checked out, especially since there is pain and redness.

I have been dieting seriously for the last three months and today I went to the Doctor for a quarterly checkup. The scale in her office indicates that I only lost seven pounds. I was sure that it would show at least a twenty pound drop. I take up much less space now than I did three months ago, my clothes fit better and my A1C showed a drop of two full points but, that @#*X@ scale is making me crazy. It is strange how a number can rule your entire life!

I have been dieting seriously for the last three months and today I went to the Doctor for a quarterly checkup. The scale in her office indicates that I only lost seven pounds. I was sure that it would show at least a twenty pound drop. I take up much less space now than I did three months ago, my clothes fit better and my A1C showed a drop of two full points but, that @#*X@ scale is making me crazy. It is strange how a number can rule your entire life!
Are you exercising along with your diet Aunt Bea? Because I find my poundage is going slow but my dress sizes are falling like crazy and it is because I am also working out and building muscle (which is not light). Also, fluid makes for a thinner body but doesn't always show as much on the scales.

Don't let the numbers get you too down (though I totally relate to you in every way here), as long as you are looking and physically feeling better. And hey, 7 pounds is still good - the longer it takes to take it off sometimes the easier it is to keep it off!

I ignore the scale at the Doctor's office. Unless you are dressed exactly the same, it's the same time of day and 700 people haven't already been on that scale before you...it's not accurate.

Your scale at home...much more reliable, just make sure you are weighing at the same time of day. I pick right after waking up and using the bathroom. If I sleep in...I don't weigh myself that day.

Well, if you're going crazy, you're not alone! I check my weight most mornings while wearing the same things, and my scale creeps down a pound or two over the course of a week, then zooms back up in a single day! Ugh!! And I don't need a blasted scale to tell me I've gained weight. I can see it in my face in the mirror. Does anyone know where I can get one of those fun-house mirrors that make you skinny?

Thank you all for your words of support.

The adult that lives in my head agrees with you.

The child that lives in my head is still rolling around on the floor kicking and screaming!

If the brat does not stop soon I may have to get a bucket of cold water!

I will be glad when that kid can move out and get a head if its own.

Thanks again B

I saw this somewhere: get seven pounds of butter, hamburger, or potatoes. Put on countertop. Look at it. Congratulate self.

If I looked at it long enough I would probably decide to make Mama's cottage pie :LOL:

I got in trouble in the Nutrition class with that attitude. The instructor put 10 pounds of potatoes on the table so everyone could see how much weight it was...she then asked what we thought of that and I said it looked like a good start to a meal...I got applause, laughter and a dunce cap...:angel:

Back
Top Bottom