Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thought you guys would like to know...I got together with my friend today, lunch and convesation. It turns out she is struggling with a decision that is close to her heart. Several times this supremely intelligent,together, and stoic woman broke down in tears in a public place. I pray that my words contained for her a modicum of the wisdom that she has shared with me over the years.
Thanks guys, for encouraging me in this matter.

It sounds like your relationship with your friend has healed.

I'm glad for you both.

Good luck to you.

Sitting at work, alone, the only one in the basement office of an empty building wishing the phone would ring so I could hear a human voice. Got booted out of my office for tonight and tomorrow night because of construction. My office is in a building that has people so I can leave it for a few minutes a couple times a night and get to visit with people. The main MIS office is where I'm at now. Bleh. Been a long night and it's not even half over. Wouldn't be so bad if I had more to keep me busy, but it's a slow night.

For the first time in a long time I lost it yesterday, I agreed that the field at the bottom of my garden could be converted into an adults league soccer pitch, I warned them that if a ball gets into the garden and I'm not there not to try to retrieve it as Max will have them. Luckily I just came out as this xxxx(a supporter of the visiting team) was getting over the fence, Max attacks silently and he was moving like a bullet, I screamed down Max and the xxxx dropped.The xxxx ran to rejion his friends
I put Max on the lead and went out to bollock them, I then realised there was no ball in the garden and the xxxx was getting in to steal, Max held his friends at bay as I admonished the xxxxxxx.
My wife gave Max my steak and sentenced me to sleep in the dog house, the xxxxx would not share his blanket. garden & BBQ 419.jpg

Awwww, what a cute picture. That sucks that you had to deal with lousy people. Maybe after seeing that you weren't just kidding about Max they won't be so eager to sneak into the garden. You should get a sign that says "Big dog. Intruders will get eaten." Then no one can say they weren't warned.

My neighbor suggested I put a sign up saying Danger big dog who eats the owner leftovers aboveSteve Kray.jpg this photo.

On the names subject ... one thing that you have to remember, and then teach your kids .... if they have "unique" names or names with just unusual spellings, the they are going to spend their entire lives explaining, spelling, etc. I love my name, and it isn't very unusual -- now. When I was young, no one heard of the name. I gave up. All southerners managed to put four syllables into a one syllable name (Kah-lay-er-ah). Even into my twenties, because I have a last name that is often a man's first name, my hospital or personnel records got mis-filed. Trying to get people to put both an I and an E into the spelling was a chore. (Clair, actually a man's name, and Clare)

It's nice to want your kid to be unique, and once they're adults they will love it (no, not always, I have friends who have hated their names so much they changed them).

On the names subject ... one thing that you have to remember, and then teach your kids .... if they have "unique" names or names with just unusual spellings, the they are going to spend their entire lives explaining, spelling, etc. I love my name, and it isn't very unusual -- now. When I was young, no one heard of the name. I gave up. All southerners managed to put four syllables into a one syllable name (Kah-lay-er-ah). Even into my twenties, because I have a last name that is often a man's first name, my hospital or personnel records got mis-filed. Trying to get people to put both an I and an E into the spelling was a chore. (Clair, actually a man's name, and Clare)

It's nice to want your kid to be unique, and once they're adults they will love it (no, not always, I have friends who have hated their names so much they changed them).

I have a traditional name (IRL) and it's darn near impossible to get people to use it. They keep coming up with nicknames, most of which I hate.

For the first time in a long time I lost it yesterday, I agreed that the field at the bottom of my garden could be converted into an adults league soccer pitch, I warned them that if a ball gets into the garden and I'm not there not to try to retrieve it as Max will have them. Luckily I just came out as this xxxx(a supporter of the visiting team) was getting over the fence, Max attacks silently and he was moving like a bullet, I screamed down Max and the xxxx dropped.The xxxx ran to rejion his friends
I put Max on the lead and went out to bollock them, I then realised there was no ball in the garden and the xxxx was getting in to steal, Max held his friends at bay as I admonished the xxxxxxx.
My wife gave Max my steak and sentenced me to sleep in the dog house, the xxxxx would not share his blanket.

Good Boy! Max! But, sorry there was no Screaming Trespasser for dessert. Why didn't you bring your own blanket? Bet he would have traded you;)

"Do not climb fence or you won't know what hit you!"

Well, I'm a little upset. Not sure what to think. Last week, a local guy came to my door and asked me if I wanted to sell my old truck. It is over 20 years old and has been siting in my parking lot since last fall, it runs, smokes and needs some exhaust work, but is liscenced, and still insured. Good body, and most parts are good. I told him I was thinking of giving it to my father inlaw who has a bushlot and would use it for transporting firewood. He offered me what I said I would want for it and bought the truck on Thursday. I came home last night at about 2:30 a.m. to find the truck in my driveway with the keys on the seat. He had left a message on my machine to call him regarding the truck. I am assuming he wants his money back. I have since returned the plates for a partial refund on the validation sticker and taken the insurance off, and given him a reciept for the truck. Done deal. I never misinformed him of the condition of the truck. Hhe drove it home after it started with one crank. What does he want for 500 bucks?

I was calculating how much it would cost me to take the truck back and return it to the same status as before and with an appraisal, which is mandatory for vehicles over 20 years old, sales tax(technically I would have to buy it back off of him), plates, and a valid sticker, and a safety check to get it back on the road. This would far exceed 500 dollars. NO WAY I should be out a penny. I just walked my dog past his place, which I do everyday, and he is not home right now, and it is starting to get me extremely perturbed. I'm not sure how this is going to play out.

I bargained in good faith and told him it was a fixer upper. I don't want to be hard to deal with, and am sorry for his buyers remorse. Am I wrong to feel that it really isn't my problem?

Last edited:
You ARE right. It shouldn't be your problem. I just sold a car and used a bill of sale that identified the sale in "as is" condition with no written or implied warranties. Call him and tell him to get his truck out of your driveway.

We forgot to right "as is" on the reciept. But, I read on our Provincial Liscencing Office website, that a car sold without a valid warranty is sold as an "as is" vehicle.

Andy is right and so are you. Tell him to get his truck out of your driveway or you will have it towed. Leave the keys right where they are, you don't want to be accused of theft. If it gets stolen...not your fault.

Yeah. I agree, with you all. I actually like this guy, he is a brother of a good friend of mine and was my sons hockey coach for a season. Small village, see him passing by on a regular basis. I just want to make sure I'm not the unreasonable one, here.

Thanks, everybody.

If he raises a stink, I would tell him, (with a witness who knows you), that if he wants you to take the truck back, this is what it would cost you to restore it to the conditions prior to the sale. Add the original sale price and every cent you would have to spend, plus a reasonable wage for you for the hours that you spend doing it.

I would explain all of that in writing, make two copies and have both of your sigs and the witnesses sig on both originals. Give him one after he pays you that much.

If he refuses to pay you that much, then tell him you'll have to get the police involved to settle it.

I would call the police and discuss it with them first. They've already seen and done it a hundred times.

Yeah. I agree, with you all. I actually like this guy, he is a brother of a good friend of mine and was my sons hockey coach for a season. Small village, see him passing by on a regular basis. I just want to make sure I'm not the unreasonable one, here.

Thanks, everybody.

Wait until you talk to him, I have a feeling his Sweetie put her foot down and said get that thing out of my yard:ermm:

I would explain your position and see where it goes but, I would not be the loser in this thing small town or not. After all he is the one who knocked on your door.

Last edited:
Aunt Bea said:
Wait until you talk to him, I have a feeling his Sweetie put her foot down and said get that thing out of my yard:ermm:

I would explain your position and see where it goes but, I would not be the loser in this thing small town or not. After all he is the one who knocked on your door.

My thoughts too, AB.

Tomorrow, friday the 12th I will officially be 37 weeks pregnant. I will have finally made it to my "safe date," and this pregnancy will be considered full term. Tomorrow I will also go to my OB office to find out if I'm going to have to continue the activity limitaions (basically bed rest) that they put me on today. Some may think "why on earth would they put a woman whose pregnancy is considered full term on such limitations?" I strained (pulled, if you prefer) the lowest segment of my rectus abdominus muscle (the muscle that makes "6-pack abs) and the tendon that attaches it to my pelvis. These, along with the other abdominal muscles, are what a woman flexes when she pushes in labor to help her uterus push the baby out. If they determine that I did enough damage, they'll limit my activity to give the muscles rest and allow them to heal, and to try to convince my body not to go into labor before they've had enough time to do so. So here I am, in what should be the home stretch, and I have to pray that I don't go into labor any time soon. They won't try to stop labor if it starts, of course, as the risks of intervention would be much greater than the risks of letting my body do its job, but if I do go into labor soon I'll likely do more damage to the injury and my recovery will be even more fun! Thank goodness my toddler is so loveable, because I already have many offers to take care of her while DH is at work so I can rest (we have no family in the area to help). Just when I'm ready to be done this pops up! Well, it won't kill me, so I just have to assume I'll be stronger once I make it out the other side.

Back
Top Bottom