Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I took a whole chicken out of the freezer Friday for dinner tonight. It was in a heavy plastic vacuum packed bag. That was in one of the courtesy plastic bags the market provides for messy and loose items. SO insists we put any packaged meats into one of those bags.

I just took the chicken in the bag, in the bag out of the fridge to prep it for dinner and it had leaked all over the bottom shelf of the fridge, and onto the floor when I took it out.

Now I have to clean and sanitize the fridge and the vegetable bin under the shelf and toss some food that may have been contaminated.

All this is complicated by the fact that the fridge is in a corner so I can't open the door beyond 90º to facilitate shelf removal.

You have no idea how PO'd I am. (feel free to substitute the words I really wanted to say here.)

Dang, Andy! I've had that one happen before! What a nasty mess to clean up. :(

I hope the rest of your evening turns out well and relaxing for you. :)

Andy M. said:
You have no idea how PO'd I am. (feel free to substitute the words I really wanted to say here.)

I would be furious!!! New vocabulary words!!! NSFW!!!

Sorry, got all worked up thinking about it. Been there, done that. What a mess!

Last edited:
I took a whole chicken out of the freezer Friday for dinner tonight. It was in a heavy plastic vacuum packed bag. That was in one of the courtesy plastic bags the market provides for messy and loose items. SO insists we put any packaged meats into one of those bags.

I just took the chicken in the bag, in the bag out of the fridge to prep it for dinner and it had leaked all over the bottom shelf of the fridge, and onto the floor when I took it out.

Now I have to clean and sanitize the fridge and the vegetable bin under the shelf and toss some food that may have been contaminated.

All this is complicated by the fact that the fridge is in a corner so I can't open the door beyond 90º to facilitate shelf removal.

I have a very good scatological vocabulary...I'd be using the choicest, too.

Sorry this happened and no easy fixes.

I want to KICK my father in the shin. I've been encouraging him to get rid of my mom's car--she can't drive, yadda, yadda, yadda. While I was there for 7 weeks, I drove my mom's car. Before I left, she told me to take it home. I can't just take a car home--there is a border to cross. When I talked with my dad last Sunday, he asked me if I wanted my mom's car. I said yes--my brother could drive it to MN for visits, as could I. I spent HOURS on the phone with CDN customs and my insurance company trying to figure out the logistics. I booked a train ticket, and I spent $195 registering the first paper one has to register to import a car. I called last night--he SOLD the car. I'm out $195. I have a voucher on Amtrak, but I'm soooo mad at him. I called Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday--no mention of having sold the car. BAH! And then he says, "do you want me to get it back?" That's not the point dad. Arggh.

Last edited:
I want to KICK my father in the shin. I've been encouraging him to get rid of my mom's car--she can't drive, yadda, yadda, yadda. While I was there for 7 weeks, I drove my mom's car. Before I left, she told me to take it home. I can't just take a car home--there is a border to cross. When I talked with my dad last Sunday, he asked me if I wanted my mom's car. I said yes--my brother could drive it to MN for visits, as could I. I spent HOURS on the phone with CDN customs and my insurance company trying to figure out the logistics. I booked a train ticket, and I spent $195 registering the first paper one has to register to import a car. I called last night--he SOLD the car. I'm out $195. I have a voucher on Amtrak, but I'm soooo mad at him. I called Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday--no mention of having sold the car. BAH! And then he says, "do you want me to get it back?" That's not the point dad. Arggh.

Sorry, I'm really trying not to laugh, but aside form the loss of money...it is kinda funny...you know, that laugh so you don't cry thing...Hugs!

CWS4322 said:

So sorry CWS. All the time and energy spent, I would be tearing my hair out too! Maybe he SHOULD get the car back.

It was tempting to tell him to get it back...dealing with elderly parents from a distance can be...trying. And I still want to kick him in the shin.

I have so many friends and, of course, my parents, in their late 70s through 90, and this is cracking me up in a totally sympathetic/empathetic way. You know what kills me? Room temperature. It can be -20 out and I'm dressed in a sleeveless blouse and flannel-lined jeans! Someone will look at me. Oh, this? I'm dressed to visit my 79 & 81 year old friends! My legs need the warmth for the walk from the car to the front door, but I need the summer blouse to keep myself from dying of heat prostration once I take off my parka. At my parents' house, the first thing we do upon arrival is shut the guest bedroom door and close off the heating vent and try to open the windows. It really does peeve Mom, but good lord, she has 4 daughters of menopausal or post- age, and we're dying here.

Claire, my mom keeps her house too warm also. We've had to open a window in the room where we sleep just to breathe. She is 93 and we understand that her circulation may not allow her body to warm up as in the past. We are just glad we still have her. We have 5 generations in our family. Maybe the weather will be great while you are visiting and you can enjoy the outside a lot.

Yes, my sisters and I, too, consider ourselves very blessed to have two living, always-been-married, elderly parents. But night sweats can sure make a visit less pleasant.

Do you take anything for night sweats? I saw a product call I-cool advertised but I don't have them so haven't checked it out. I did have a problem with them right after my surgery.

LOL! I have Iso-Cool pillows, Iso-Cool mattress pad, I got rid of everything with flannel or pants...I finally had to close the bedroom window last night because I was running out of blankets for Shrek's side of the bed. I'll be so glad when pre-menopause is done.

I still haven't taken the window A/C out--and yes, I did use it last week. I've never used my A/C at this time of year before! No night sweats, but I get so hot. The irony is that the bedroom doesn't have a source of supplemental heat, it is on the northside of the house and the window faces west (over which I have a blackout curtain), yet it is always the hottest room in the house. In the winter, when the woodstove is running, the door is shut and the window is open about 4 inches, no matter what the temperature is outside. My DH claims I would probably be very happy sleeping in a refridgerator. He has the metabolism of a hummingbird. I swear his thermal regulation kicks in at 3:00 a.m. It's like sleeping curled up next to a woodstove.

Last edited:
PrincessFiona60 said:
LOL! I have Iso-Cool pillows, Iso-Cool mattress pad, I got rid of everything with flannel or pants...I finally had to close the bedroom window last night because I was running out of blankets for Shrek's side of the bed. I'll be so glad when pre-menopause is done.

Fi, be careful what you wish for, I'd be happy to go back to "pre-menopause. I'd get some more blankets for Shrek if I were you cause you are going to want that window OPEN!! Lol!!

This morning I have been riding the Best Buy customer service Merry-Go-Round!

In April I took my computer to Best Buy to have a virus removed and they sold me a two year Tech Support membership. I was told that the membership would include anti-virus software for the two years. That is actually why I purchased a two year membership instead of a one year membership. Now after six months I get an email indicating that the software on my one year subscription has expired and is being renewed. It has only been six months! The first person I talked to told me that I was wrong and I only purchased a six month subscription. The last person I talked to told me my subscription expires in October 2012! I have a feeling that the Best Buy system has updated to reflect the renewal. I guess I need to call the bank and see if my credit card has been charged. If it has I am not sure if I should dispute the charge or just let it go. I don't really care about the forty bucks as much as I resent the misinformation. I really have a bad taste in my mouth about Best Buy this morning!

Do you have paperwork to back your position? Or where you paid or were charged for the 2 year membership?
If so, I'd certainly go after them. Can you imagine if they do that to so many people, they get away with murder. Well, not murder, but corruption.

This is more of a quibble than a vent. I get annoyed with the AARP people -- my membership runs from December to December, but I start getting renewal notices in the middle of the summer. Are they hoping I will renew then and change/back up my renewal date? Do they just want my money to use (small amount though it is) until December and will keep Dec. as my renewal date? I just ignore each of their wasteful mailings requesting renewal (and there are several) until December.

I'm not even sure why I renew at all. In one of their recent mailings, they advised seniors wanting to lose weight to give up their cookies! The very idea! :glare:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom