Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A good wide belt can create the illusion of a waist. I have a short torso and I use belts to create a more defined waist. Otherwise, I tend to look rather... large.

I wander around all day in scrubs...on my days off, I wear long tops and jeans. Lately, I've lost 25 pounds and am in transition in my wardrobe. I have 30 more to go, want to get closer to my target weight before I start buying new duds.:)

I closed down the old venting thread. It was getting pretty cumbersome for any new reader. Lets try to keep this one to just petty stuff. If you really need support or prayers please start a new thread so it can get the attention it deserves.

Sooo... This thread is 195 pages, 1942 posts, more than 2 years old! I'm amused upon reading the OP. :)

I look like a stuffed sausage...:ermm: I'm 5 foot nothing and have no waist. I go from boobs to hips, nothing looks good on me, except burlap.
I have the opposite problem. No waist to speak of .... but am tall. Pick up a pair of size 12 jeans (I've never been that small) and a size 20. You'll find that the size 12 are about 3" longer than the 20s. Gee, to people get shorter as they put on weight? Thank heaven for LL Bean.

I have the opposite problem. No waist to speak of .... but am tall. Pick up a pair of size 12 jeans (I've never been that small) and a size 20. You'll find that the size 12 are about 3" longer than the 20s. Gee, to people get shorter as they put on weight? Thank heaven for LL Bean.

I'm short, with long legs. If I am at my correct weight, jeans are all too long. When I'm fat, like now, jeans are the right length. That makes no sense whatsoever.

I am SHORT! And I stay the same weight. I have to shorten everything. Even long sleeves. And the tails on all blouses come down below the hips. My biggest problem is "gapitist." You know. The buttons right in the middle of the blouse gap across the bust line. So I try to buy pull over tops. :(

I have a 29" inseam...and am too big around to fit into boys jeans. If I can lose down to my target weight, I will be able to buy boys jeans again. Makes buying dress clothes next to impossible without alterations that cost more than the clothes. I don't sew, let's not even go there.:LOL:

Dresses that fall to the knee, are midi length on me, simple hemming is not effective, the whole design needs to be adjusted so everything falls right. So, I gave up long ago of ever looking "stylish." T-shirts and jeans, flannel, pullover tops are what I wear. Right now I am out of dress pants as the ones I had are now too big:w00t2: I won't NEED any dress pants till fall, so I'll wait until I need them to go buy them.

i'm 5'7" with a very long waistline. i remember suffering through belted fashions that hit at my rib cage instead of my natural waist. when shift dresses or other free-flowing styles were in fashion, i was much happier going beltless or able to cinch my belts to accommodate my low waist. another problem with this type figure is the bathing suit that never adequately covers your torso. you find yourself constantly tugging the thing in one direction, then the other, just trying to stay decent at both ends. when bikinis finally became widely accepted they were my salvation.... :)

I have enjoyed these threads. The posts have travelled to hiding sins in fashionables and the fit of jeans ...

I am petite, small naturally and I wear alot of ZARA, a Spanish shop, similar to Limited or Express in the USA. Zara has many shops in the shopping centres throughout the USA now ... I do not have hem probs with jeans because I buy narrow jeans to fit just below the ankle ... I cannot wear wide leg pants, as I look like a " clown in costume " ... I prefer simple, clean lines and fitted without being loose or too tight either. I like mono chromatic, smart professional wearables, ultra modern however, with classic styling --- great jackets with smart trousers, fab boots and sweaters or a stunner shirt / blouse. I do not wear skirts and dresses too often in winter. In dresses or skirts, which I like to wear when warm to hot, I prefer 1950s skirting which work well with flat or low heels and / or very straight lines with medium high heels. The only thing I avoid really are loud colors. I love black and white or beige palette and / or navy with white and a red accessory. A great jean skirt with cowboy boots and a jean jacket --- are fun at wkends. when going out casual.

Fun to read posts.
Thanks, Margi.

i'm 5'7" with a very long waistline. i remember suffering through belted fashions that hit at my rib cage instead of my natural waist. when shift dresses or other free-flowing styles were in fashion, i was much happier going beltless or able to cinch my belts to accommodate my low waist. another problem with this type figure is the bathing suit that never adequately covers your torso. you find yourself constantly tugging the thing in one direction, then the other, just trying to stay decent at both ends. when bikinis finally became widely accepted they were my salvation.... :)

So together we would be Mutt and Jeff...my best friend from grade school was tall and thin, I was short and stout...we were the odd couple and still are. Even though I have lost an inch in height, I'm still taller than I was through high school. I was 4'10" through school. Last time I had a waist was when I weighed 99 pounds. Might be a good weight for me, but I don't feel good at that weight. I'm shooting for 130 lbs.

So together we would be Mutt and Jeff...my best friend from grade school was tall and thin, I was short and stout...we were the odd couple and still are. Even though I have lost an inch in height, I'm still taller than I was through high school. I was 4'10" through school. Last time I had a waist was when I weighed 99 pounds. Might be a good weight for me, but I don't feel good at that weight. I'm shooting for 130 lbs.

I am only 4"8" and when my weight goes down to low, I feel it. And I don't feel good. I have a hard time keeping my sugar at a comfortable level. Weight loss for me has to be a very slow procedure. So my body can adjust to each loss. I don't like being the weight I am at, but I feel fine health wise.

I'm fortunate that even being overweight I still have natural curves. Aside from just a general lack of clothing in my size that I like (my own fault, I badly need to loose weight), the only problem I really have with clothing fit is that I have really long hips. I have trouble with pants wanting to sit just below my waist and if I try the pants that are made for large hips they are way too big. And most of the high waisted stuff has an elastic waist band and just looks blegh. But I can usually find something, I just have to work a little harder at it.

On another similar note, anyone else ever notice how inconsistantly womens clothing is sized? You have two pairs of pants, same brand, same style, same fabric type, different colors and only one of them fits. Seriously, if the only difference is the color then why on earth do they not both fit?

I am SHORT! And I stay the same weight. I have to shorten everything. Even long sleeves. And the tails on all blouses come down below the hips. My biggest problem is "gapitist." You know. The buttons right in the middle of the blouse gap across the bust line. So I try to buy pull over tops. :(

I have given up on button-up tops. For a good professional top, I wear the Harrison from Pinup Girl, which is fitted, accomodates my boobishness and has a downward zipper halfway up the back. If you're similarly built, It's a darn fine top. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of it.

In dresses or skirts, which I like to wear when warm to hot, I prefer 1950s skirting which work well with flat or low heels and / or very straight lines with medium high heels. The only thing I avoid really are loud colors. I love black and white or beige palette and / or navy with white and a red accessory.

I love the 1950s style. The lines were so much more clean and emphasized the female form in a way that was sexy, but not over the top. I love a good swing skirt or pencil skirt.

On another similar note, anyone else ever notice how inconsistantly womens clothing is sized? You have two pairs of pants, same brand, same style, same fabric type, different colors and only one of them fits. Seriously, if the only difference is the color then why on earth do they not both fit?

No lie, I bought a pair of jeans (a feat in and of itself), and bought the exact same pair in the exact same wash and they didn't fit. WHO IS DESIGNING THESE THINGS? Why can't I get something that fits my waist, hips and butt? When I get something that fits my waist, there's no way it's going to fit my thighs. When it fits my thighs and/or butt, it's going to be all weird and gappy around my waist. I should not have sizes (that do fit me) ranging from a 2 to a 12 in my closet. That's messed up.

Never having carried a pregnancy to term, I don't have woman hips, womens pants do not fit, they assume curves where I have none.

I think it's funny, as I have lost weight my pants have gotten longer...even my sweatpants are too long now.

Never having carried a pregnancy to term, I don't have woman hips, womens pants do not fit, they assume curves where I have none.

I think it's funny, as I have lost weight my pants have gotten longer...even my sweatpants are too long now.

Put them in the dryer on hot, but keep an eye on them. It's what I do with crocheted stuff that grows.

As a guy we have it easy. I do have a complaint about shirts. Why when you go above medium do most shirts just look like tents when worn? If I buy a standard polo, my side view looks like I have a huge gut! My belly isn't flat, but these make me look pregnant! I have a couple of LL Bean polo that look pretty good, but the rest of my shirts are button up that I layer with colored tee shirts. I only own one tee shirt that's worn by itself from my recent trip to Disney, it's a classic style mickey shirt and it actually fits well and looks good. Wearing that shirt for the first time felt weird, I'm not used to wearing a tee by itself, I realize how weird that must sound, but one of my friends commented how he never remembered seeing me in a tee shirt!

My school girlfriends and I were always called Mutt & Jeff. I'm surprised I'm not stooped over from leaning to hear them talk. Back then I had it easy in that I just wore men's jeans and mini-skirts/dresses were "in". It was really the olden days, until I moved to CA in my junior year of high school, pants simply were not allowed in school.

In order to get clothes that fit, I pretty much order from what used to be the Lane Bryant catalogs (Woman Within and Roman's) or a couple of others that have a tall line of clothing. Even so, if pants fit my waist they have a butt and thighs on them large enough that I can store another person in there.

Since I have to hem everything I buy, my very best friend is the Stitch Witchery bonding tape. I gave my sewing machine to Son #1. It was just gathering dust and taking up space here. I get the heavy duty tape. I loved sewing in Jr. high school. But as I got older I learned to hate it. I am horrified at my daughter's sewing. So I introduced her to the bonding tape. She took sewing in school. But I think they forgot to teach the basics. Like how to hide stitches when hemming. And matching the thread to the color of the material. One time I hemmed a dress for her. She still can't find the stitches and thinks I glued the hem. :rolleyes:

In order to get clothes that fit, I pretty much order from what used to be the Lane Bryant catalogs (Woman Within and Roman's) or a couple of others that have a tall line of clothing. Even so, if pants fit my waist they have a butt and thighs on them large enough that I can store another person in there.

I order my pants from QVC. I find that they carry a lot of clothing for my size in petite. My size isn't petite, but my height is. Sometimes when I order pants from elsewhere, I end up cutting as much as five inches off before I can put a hem on them. And when you cut that much off, they look like heck. It ruins the line of the leg. The part that would normally be at the calf, is at my shin. Drives me crazy. :wacko:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom