Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry to hear your cable is screwed up. There are few things that anger us as much.

When Comcast went all digital in my area, it was preceded by lots of ads and notices telling us our options. Customers here were given two digital converter boxes free so we could continue watching our old style TVs. Of course those sets were limited to standard channels.

Sounds like someone dropped the ball.

My children bought me a new 42" flat screen TV before they made the change. I got so sick of listening to their TV commercials, that I used to mute the TV when I would see one coming on. It is a Federal edict. Not completely Comcast's fault. There should have been more TV notices.

I can understand your frustration with all the junk mail they send out. I have been returning the stuff by crossing out the bar code and writing "Return to sender." I sent my bill back accidently. Then I went completely paperless. So now I know that any thing I get from Comcast, is just junk and back it goes. Now I go days where my mailbox is empty. We got our converter boxes for free. I don't know how Comcast does it in your area. :)

Broadcasting TV takes bandwidth, and the older style analog takes a lot more bandwidth. Converting the signal to digital saves on bandwidth and allows them to send more "stuff" through your cable line (internet, on demand tv, etc.).

This has nothing to do with the "digital transition", that only applied to people that get their TV from an antenna, if you had cable or satellite there was no need for a new TV during this transition.

This change only benefits the cable company. It makes it very inconvenient if all you want is basic cable since now you have to deal with a box from them (even if it's free). Trust me, they will take this opportunity to get you to "upgrade" to a better digital package. Time Warner is taking all of the deisirable channels and moving them to "digital" which requires the rental of a box and a more expensive package. They still offer basic that will plug directly into any 'ol TV.

basic cable is what i have had all along and is all that i need. i did call comcast about my cable problem, and serendipity was with me. the comcast rep introduced herself with my daughter's first name, which had an immediate softening effect on me...she did say that all sorts of mailings had been sent out to inform customers of the network changes to come. i guess to me it all looked like just so much more promotional junk mail from comcast....i will be getting three free cable converter boxes. if i need help with installation (and i'm virtually certain i will because it involves TWO wires) it will cost me $20.00. my comcast 'daughter' assures me the installation is a very simple matter that they can walk me through on the phone. but i know how those walk-throughs go from having tried it several times before with helpful comcast reps and my internet hookups. in the end, a comcast tech will need to be dispatched to connect my two wires....

It will be easy. You will take the cable from the wall, plug it in to one spot (often labeled "in from cable" and the other "out to TV" will go to your TV. Quite simple and I'm sure you will be able to do it no problem!

we'll see, bakechef, and i hope you are right and i am wrong. but people repeatedly underestimate the range and scope of my technical illiteracy. they erroneously believe that just because it's so easy that a monkey can do it, it should be manageable for a person such as myself....

Arrrgh!!! My nice set of dry measure cups is ruined! The one cup and half cup have been heat warped and consequently will not measure accurately anymore. I guess I should buy some stainless ones.

Arrrgh!!! My nice set of dry measure cups is ruined! The one cup and half cup have been heat warped and consequently will not measure accurately anymore. I guess I should buy some stainless ones.
What happened PF? I'm so sorry.
kades

I have a set of five. The fifth one is a 2/3 c. measure. More and more sets are adding that fifth one. Look for it when you are looking for new ones. :chef:

I have a cool plastic set from Rubbermaid. It's made up of six cups - 2/3 and 3/4 cup are the 'extras'. In addition, each cup has a crease in the bowl that is the half way mark. So in addition to 1, 3/4, 2/3, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, I can measure 1/8, 1/6, 3/8.

The set that got ruined was a Zyliss set of four, perfect for the bins I use for dry ingredients. I just hope the new ones fit correctly into the bins.

Do you use dry measuring cups enough to make that worth the money? I thought you had a kitchen scale :rolleyes:

I do have a kitchen scale, use it while baking. For cooking, I like to have them for quick, accurate dips of bisquick, sugar, rice, etc. The bins I have, I am able to use the top of the opening as a leveler.

I gave the results to a new client and she isn't happy. I'm sorry, I don't write the tax laws. They changed some stuff. Then she said she should have taken it to H&R Block. Grrr. They wouldn't have gotten a better result unless they goofed. This for a 93 year old lady who sounded really nice. Of course, her "extremely simple" tax return includes investment income and capital gains. So, even though I should charge her more, I won't. She couldn't find anyone else to come to her house to get her paper work. I'm a sucker, but I won't be doing hers next year.

Now, I'm waiting for a client to pick up two returns. This is going to be embarrassing. The cat peed on their slips. I scanned everything and printed out clean, non-smelly slips for their file and for the governments. They are getting a "special discount". I'm not putting "discount for cat pee" on their invoice. :ermm: :ohmy: :LOL:

taxlady said:
I gave the results to a new client and she isn't happy. I'm sorry, I don't write the tax laws. They changed some stuff. Then she said she should have taken it to H&R Block. Grrr. They wouldn't have gotten a better result unless they goofed. This for a 93 year old lady who sounded really nice. Of course, her "extremely simple" tax return includes investment income and capital gains. So, even though I should charge her more, I won't. She couldn't find anyone else to come to her house to get her paper work. I'm a sucker, but I won't be doing hers next year.

Now, I'm waiting for a client to pick up two returns. This is going to be embarrassing. The cat peed on their slips. I scanned everything and printed out clean, non-smelly slips for their file and for the governments. They are getting a "special discount". I'm not putting "discount for cat pee" on their invoice. :ermm: :ohmy: :LOL:

You could not pay me enough to do your job. I hate my own tax stuff, no way I could do anyone else's.

You could not pay me enough to do your job. I hate my own tax stuff, no way I could do anyone else's.
I know, I'm weird. I like doing income tax. Well, I like doing other people's income tax. :LOL:

I don't know what possessed me to take H&R Block's income tax course, back in 1984, but I did and was surprised to find out how much I liked it and that I was good at it.

Back
Top Bottom