Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
+1 to both.

Had to giggle yesterday. Called Verizon, had a horrible connection. Could barely understand the lady. And this was a phone company!
A lot of businesses use VoIP to save money. These connections often break up/drop/have a delay rate that breaks up speech and makes it impossible to understand what the person is saying. I won't go wireless for that reason--a landline is a much better connection and, hard as it is for some to grasp, not everyone lives where there is 4G coverage. Wireless is much more reliable in metropolitan areas--I can guarantee you, that the coverage available where my parents live in northern MN is almost none existent and calls drop all the time.

I can slow down the message, replay it, pause it, but when it is that garbled, I'd have to make a tape of it and take it to a CSI lab for analysis to get rid of the extra noise.:)

Changing the topic--I get so annoyed with people who leave me a message but don't repeat the phone # twice. I have a digital answering machine--sometimes when people call using cell phone, the person breaks up at some point and all I get is a garbled message. If someone else leaves a message after that one, I can't do *69 to get the last numbered called. Hi name, its garble, garble, garble, can you call me back at garble garble 5555 ext 555? Thanks! When I leave a message using my cell phone, I always repeat the number 2x and I send off an email to confirm that I left a voice message in case the person didn't get it. If a person doesn't call you back, it might be that the message was garbled and the person couldn't get your number. I don't have call display or caller ID, I have just basic phone service as a cost-savings measure.

In the same vein, I wish people would say the number slowly. Yes, you know your phone number; yes you have said it a thousand times, but please don't race through it.

I have call answer. I can back up the message and play it slower. I hate doing that seven times to get the phone number.

I always slow down to say my phone number and I say it a second time.

And a phone number has no O's in it, it has 0's. Not two-oh-oh-six, it's two-zero-zero-six. If you want me to understand, spik Englis plz.

PrincessFiona60 said:
And a phone number has no O's in it, it has 0's. Not two-oh-oh-six, it's two-zero-zero-six. If you want me to understand, spik Englis plz.

The "O" thing kind of bugs me too. It's hard to misunderstand when someone says ZERO!

My mom's visiting and I have been dreading it. My mom is one of the sweetest people on the planet. Trouble is, she's very emotionally high strung, even more so since my dad passed last fall. I have a hard time not being affected by others emotions, especially those that I'm close to. I have no problem separating my emotions from those of friends and co-workers, but when it comes to people I love, it affects me bad. I don't get depressed easily, but when she comes for a visit, I just can't seem to dig myself out of this slump. I hate it. Add to that, one of her dogs is sick, these two little dogs helped get her through losing dad, she can't lose one now, it is too soon. She has friends taking great care of her dogs, making sure that the sick one is being taken to the vet (who is also a friend).

I went into this visit thinking things would be different, but this feeling of dread is taking over. I feel so guilty when she leaves that I didn't do enough to make her trip fun, even though she tells me how much she enjoys herself.

I'm a mess, family is the only ones that can make me feel this way.

bakechef said:
My mom's visiting and I have been dreading it. My mom is one of the sweetest people on the planet. Trouble is, she's very emotionally high strung, even more so since my dad passed last fall. I have a hard time not being affected by others emotions, especially those that I'm close to. I have no problem separating my emotions from those of friends and co-workers, but when it comes to people I love, it affects me bad. I don't get depressed easily, but when she comes for a visit, I just can't seem to dig myself out of this slump. I hate it. Add to that, one of her dogs is sick, these two little dogs helped get her through losing dad, she can't lose one now, it is too soon. She has friends taking great care of her dogs, making sure that the sick one is being taken to the vet (who is also a friend).

I went into this visit thinking things would be different, but this feeling of dread is taking over. I feel so guilty when she leaves that I didn't do enough to make her trip fun, even though she tells me how much she enjoys herself.

I'm a mess, family is the only ones that can make me feel this way.

{{{{bakechef}}}} I survived an extremely difficult mom visit. You will too! Family is much harder to put up with than friends or aquaintances. Best of luck, and have some fun!

I went to the doctor because of a very sore wrist/lower arm. Lots of things I couldn't do with that hand. The doctor gave me a 'script for Voltaren, which is helping.

My vent is the danged child proof bottle the pills are in. It's so hard to open with a sore hand, that I put it, open, inside of a larger glass jar with a screw top.

I wish I had noticed while I was still at the pharmacy. Kind of ironic that the pills to make my sore hand better are in a pill bottle that makes the sore hand worse.

I have much more sympathy for folks with arthritis now.

Hi, Bakechef. As sad as things are for others in your life, you are not responsible for their happiness. Trying your best is nothing to feel guilty about it. Choose to be happy and satisfied with what you do for your loved ones. Good luck.

Thanks all.

Rocklobster, I think that you may have hit on something. My chosen "family" are people that aren't emotionally needy, we just have an amazing time together, I rarely feel like I'm responsible for their good time, it just happens. My family is a very different dynamic, one that I don't have to deal with often since they live so far away.

Add to that I am getting ready for a rough 11 days at work. We have a vacation coming up on the 18th so I need to hold on until then!

I went to the doctor because of a very sore wrist/lower arm. Lots of things I couldn't do with that hand. The doctor gave me a 'script for Voltaren, which is helping.

My vent is the danged child proof bottle the pills are in. It's so hard to open with a sore hand, that I put it, open, inside of a larger glass jar with a screw top.

I wish I had noticed while I was still at the pharmacy. Kind of ironic that the pills to make my sore hand better are in a pill bottle that makes the sore hand worse.

I don't know how it is in Canada, but here I can sign a waiver assuring there are no children in my household that would have access and they will put a regular cap on my meds for me. It's listed in with my prescriptions. And I save the ones that are larger to put OTC items in that have childproof caps.

I don't know how it is in Canada, but here I can sign a waiver assuring there are no children in my household that would have access and they will put a regular cap on my meds for me. It's listed in with my prescriptions. And I save the ones that are larger to put OTC items in that have childproof caps.
I'm pretty I can get one that isn't childproof, but I have to ask for it. That's why I said I wished I had looked at the bottle at the pharmacy. I tried to find an old bottle, but I couldn't so I came up with putting the open bottle in a jar. That way I still have a label for the pills.

Next time ask for a cap that is not child proof. And tell them to mark your file as such. Then all future scripts will have an easy to remove cap. :)

The central air was doing just fine. Keeping the appartment nice and cool. And then the hubby decides that if he messes with the settings he should be able to save us on our electric bill and still keep the house cool. Did he read the manual? No. Did he check to see if there was a way to clear it back to previous/default settings? No. He just "played" with it. I mean, it's a thermostat. How complicated can it be, right? So now it's eighty degrees in the house (and climbing), even though the thermostat is set to 72, and he has no idea what the previous settings were because he "didn't pay attention". Which is why I get the ice pack and he doesn't.

That's really sad.

I grew up in Los Angeles County. Total ban on fireworks for ordinary people. There were great fireworks displays put on by the fire department in all the parks. We didn't miss being able to do our own.

Evidently, our neighbors across the street didn't get the message about it being illegal to have private fireworks. They have been shooting them off for the past three hours. And some of them are REALLY loud. This is a building for the elderly. Most of the folks in this building are asleep by nine. But I doubt it will happen tonight. I don't want to be the one to call the police. I am up for the next few hours. And from the sound of what they are shooting off, it is the kind that will get them arrested. That is the last thing I want. But then I keep thinking of Pelham, NH. I feel like I am damned if I do and damned if I don't. :ermm:

The central air was doing just fine. Keeping the appartment nice and cool. And then the hubby decides that if he messes with the settings he should be able to save us on our electric bill and still keep the house cool. Did he read the manual? No. Did he check to see if there was a way to clear it back to previous/default settings? No. He just "played" with it. I mean, it's a thermostat. How complicated can it be, right? So now it's eighty degrees in the house (and climbing), even though the thermostat is set to 72, and he has no idea what the previous settings were because he "didn't pay attention". Which is why I get the ice pack and he doesn't.

Is there a way for you to set everything back to null and reset? Should be a setting for min temp and max temp. The thermostat will keep it there. He may have also set it to fan instead of cool.

The latest news report tonight of the Pelham, NH fireworks explosion was that the two babies that were airlifted to the Shriner's Boston Burn Center are not doing very well. They are both critical. My heart is breaking. Two adults are still hospitalized. One is the parent of one of the babies. She was holding it in her lap. :(

The news report also said that the people in the neighborhood are not talking about the explosion. Most folks get excited about being interviewed for the TV. They can't wait to see themselves on the screen. Me smells a rat. Translation, a major lawsuit coming up. I have the feeling that the man that was doing the fireworks is facing charges and I hope he has good coverage on his home policy. You should have seen the stash that didn't blow up. It looks like he bought out the factory. :ermm:

PrincessFiona60 said:
Is there a way for you to set everything back to null and reset? Should be a setting for min temp and max temp. The thermostat will keep it there. He may have also set it to fan instead of cool.

He's reading the manual. He thinks he has it figured out. We'll see. In the mean time, I'm still keeping the ice pack.

Last edited:
I am watching the fireworks at the Boston Pops Concert and can hear them through my window as they explode. Who needs to go in town and deal with that crowd. :LOL:

Pag, as you should. I have rarely heard of a man reading a manual, sure glad yours does! Hoping for a quick cooling!

One reason why I do all the repairs around here....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom