Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, I had to take a picture of the floor we got.
One room upstairs is done with new moldings and all. I think the dark chocolate colored floor goes really well with the white contrasts.
Matte laminate.

My husband did it. His first time doing anything with a house. But I think he did great! :)
img_1158019_0_0af3cbe3e9ee64bd72f502e068ce39ce.jpg

I'm sure mine looked better when it was new. But, it was the crappy parquetry that the city was pushing in the '70s. I'm thinking I want to sand and stain the floors. I don't usually like stain, but it would make it more uniform.

But, it's still much better than the baby poop coloured carpet I tore out.

I love both floors guys, they are both lovely in their own ways :)

Soi I canceled my preop blood work and wait to hear from my son. Late in the p.m. he emails me that his plane lands at 9:30 and he will stop on the way home. Ten p.m. the phone rings. It is darling son. "Ma, I was half way through the O'Neil Tunnel before I remembered I was supposed to stop by. I will come by Sunday." The urge to kill is ever so strong some days. He then tells me that he was in Baltimore studying 12 different cadavers and the different ways intubating affects the body. It seems that each cadaver had died while being intubated. It's a good thing he has a mother that knows what he is talking about and has a strong stomach.

My granddaughter will start an intense two year RN program in September and graduate with a BS in nursing. I can't wait until she has to go to the morgue and work with cadavers. She is one of thse girls that thinks the world has ended because her polish has chipped. :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
We put in hardwood on the main floor for the living room and dining area. We like it so much better. Upstairs, the bedrooms and hallway are wall to wall.

My neighbor chose to do laminate, didn't like it and replaced it with different laminate then moved away.
I hate laminate--why? The sound of the dog toenails on it and also, when dogs get old and have issues getting up, laminate doesn't give them the grip that hardwood does. Friends put high-end laminiate in their new house--ripped it out three years later and put hardwood down for exactly that reason. Love the floors, Andy.

Here's one of mine (bedroom). It is birch. First you have to get the logs, then you have to mill them, then you have to let the boards dry, then you have to plane them, then tongue and groove them, then install them, then sand, then sand some more, then some more...then you have to finish them....and it takes, about a year...except, in this case, it took two.

Attachments

• floor 008.jpg
    floor 008.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 170
BTW, incontinence is not a result of being spayed. I know that is a common myth, but my friend who is a vet and I had a discussion about this. Anatomically, not possible. There are medications (inexpensive) that can help with this. There used to be an OTC that also worked, but I am not sure if it is still on the market. Bolledeig, chat with your vet about this--but getting the carpet ripped out was still worth it!

Thanks, CWS! I'll look into it!

Gorgeous floors! And I think I'm already jealous of your closet (without seeing the whole thing). Looks glamorous! :cool:

I actually have an older dog (13), and he does not like laminate. But he doesn't like getting up on hard wood either. Mostly because he convinces himself it's super slippery, not because he has a hard time getting up.
That's why I got the matte/textured laminate. Hopefully it's a little better for dogs than the smooth one.

the cat tree i ordered came yesterday. opened up today to see if i could put it together my self. no manual!!!! i might have stood a chance of getting it done, but not within instructions. gal across the street is handy, well she says she is, so she is willing to give it a try. lordy, lordy, it ticks me off.

I need a new cat tree...has to be at least 5 foot tall so the cats can reach the window. They have managed to totally wreck this one in less than a year.

Went to dinner with friends. One of the friends lives here and her husband in Ohio (separated for her job). We went to a small Italian place, the service was slow but we were having a great time talking so no big deal. The owner comes out to ask how things were, and he (the guy from Ohio) starts a rant about how bad the service was. This guy has zero social skills. He was looking for a reason to not tip, and get his meal comped. The owner apologized and offered the whole table free dessert, and this guy dismisses him, how rude!

We let him and his wife leave and then went back in to tell the owner and the waitress how much we enjoyed the meal. It really was quite good and the wait times were not that long.

During dinner the topic of ancestry came up because some of us have very distinct ethnic last names. He, very loudly pipes up and says "if you were born in America, then you are American, period!". So I ask him, "so those who celebrate their heritage are somehow less patriotic?", "isn't that what America is all about?". He refused to answer.

I feel bad for his wife, she is very sweet, no wonder she enjoys living in a different state!

Thanks, CWS! I'll look into it!

Gorgeous floors! And I think I'm already jealous of your closet (without seeing the whole thing). Looks glamorous! :cool:

I actually have an older dog (13), and he does not like laminate. But he doesn't like getting up on hard wood either. Mostly because he convinces himself it's super slippery, not because he has a hard time getting up.
That's why I got the matte/textured laminate. Hopefully it's a little better for dogs than the smooth one.
I have had many senior dogs. I bought those rubber tiles (red-blue-yellow-green) at Home Depot and "carpeted" the house with those so the old dogs could get up. I hated having to take them (the mats) up and clean...sand would get between the puzzle pieces, but the dogs were able to get up. You're lucky to be in a climate where you could take them outside and hose/pressure wash them. I had to do them in the bathtub during the winter months. But those puzzle pieces work well--I should know, I have about $500 worth. I am using them for the chickens now. And donated a bunch to a wildlife sanctuary. And I still have a bunch!

I want to say it was ephederine (sp) that was the OTC--I don't know if it is still available OTC because it is used to make ... crack? or meth? I can't remember the name of the prescription drug, but it is a little pink pill (here in Canada) and is not given every day--one gets to figure out the "magic" dose. If the dog is only incontinent during the hottest months, it can be diabetes insipidus (which is not diabetes, but an issue with the dog's hormone that regulates hyydration-water retention). I had a Saint Bernard with that. She was fine until about June, and then she'd be fine again when October hit.

Once I started taking my fecal incontinent male to a canine accupuncturist, the issue cleared up. He lived to be 15--but started having this issue when he was 13. And he was a Giant breed.

Good luck! There are options (and you get to enjoy the new floors regardless!). And yes, my closet is to die for. What you don't see is the pull-out full-length mirror, the 2 built-in dressers (5 drawers each), and all the cubbies. Inspired by the closet I had in Germany. I love that I can stand on the lower drawers (when the doors are open) and reach the top cubbies (8.5 ft off the floor). It is made like kitchen cabinets, so it is modular. Two friends have had the same closet (with modifications for the space--mine is 11.5 ft x 8.5 ft tall). I'm willing to share the plans--we designed it ourselves and LOVE it! I hate North American closets. We have 2 other closets in the house (much smaller) that are the same concept--floor to ceiling, with a drawer on the bottom so one can stand on it and reach the top cubbie. Nothing falls on the floor or gets buried in my closets.

Last edited:
BTW, incontinence is not a result of being spayed. I know that is a common myth, but my friend who is a vet and I had a discussion about this. Anatomically, not possible. There are medications (inexpensive) that can help with this. There used to be an OTC that also worked, but I am not sure if it is still on the market. Bolledeig, chat with your vet about this--but getting the carpet ripped out was still worth it!

I'm aggravated because I can't seem to find the original of this particular part of this line. The time I had a dog who became incontinent (she was old and had been fixed for years), she had kidney disease. My vet recommended a kidney disease dog food, and gave her a few months to live. The diet solved the problem and she lived 18 more happy, pain-free months (and no incontinance problems once on the diet). It was a Science Diet food (k/d) and it allowed us over a year of the pleasure of her company.

And, yes, if you have pets, especially geriatric ones, floor is much better than carpet. Oh, heck, it's easier to clean up after humans as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your experience, CWS!
I wrote it on a post-it and stuck it behind my ear ;) (that might not be a normal saying in English..)

I think you have a promising career as a designer for IKEA! :D

I'm aggravated because I can't seem to find the original of this particular part of this line. The time I had a dog who became incontinent (she was old and had been fixed for years), she had kidney disease. My vet recommended a kidney disease dog food, and gave her a few months to live. The diet solved the problem and she lived 18 more happy, pain-free months (and no incontinance problems once on the diet). It was a Science Diet food (k/d) and it allowed us over a year of the pleasure of her company.

And, yes, if you have pets, especially geriatric ones, floor is much better than carpet. Oh, heck, it's easier to clean up after humans as well.

One of my male Saints had renal insufficiency. We fed him a diet that was "designed." for a lack of a better word, by a canine nutritionist.For the first year, we would have blood work done every 3 months to make sure his levels were okay, after that, every 6 months. He lived to be 12 and a bit--which is GREAT for a Giant, but for a Giant with renal insufficiency, amazing. We also used the eye drops (when he was 11-12) that are used for diabetes insipidus for his "leaking." He didn't leak once we got the diet worked out until he was about 11. The drops worked--but they were expensive, but then, so was his diet (he loved, loved, loved kale--he'd eat that out of the box when I brought kale home--and beets, he loved beets). He died of hemangiosarcoma--not kidney disease. He was a retired lawn ornament. When he arrived (this was the first Saint I rescued), he had heartworm and a severe kidney infection. He had been tied outside for three years. He was the sweetest boy...and made me laugh every day--he was such a clown. I miss him still.

The simple answer for night-time "leaking" is usually a relaxed bladder and not kidney issues. If the dog is having incontinence at other times, than other things need to be investigated, but start with the simple first, and then move up from there is always my approach.

I don't know why I concluded the incontinence with spaying. Must have been too naive while googling.
My leak dog is only 2,5 years old, and it started some time after spaying. No wait! It started when she got a spinal cord infection. Maybe those are related..
Weather/temperature seems to be irrelevant.

I don't know why I concluded the incontinence with spaying. Must have been too naive while googling.
My leak dog is only 2,5 years old, and it started some time after spaying. No wait! It started when she got a spinal cord infection. Maybe those are related..
Weather/temperature seems to be irrelevant.
Hmmm...may still have a low-grade infection...or, e-coli (not the food kind, but the kind that sits in the kidney-urinary tract). Dogs often get that....chat with the vet.

bakechef said:
Went to dinner with friends. One of the friends lives here and her husband in Ohio (separated for her job). We went to a small Italian place, the service was slow but we were having a great time talking so no big deal. The owner comes out to ask how things were, and he (the guy from Ohio) starts a rant about how bad the service was. This guy has zero social skills. He was looking for a reason to not tip, and get his meal comped. The owner apologized and offered the whole table free dessert, and this guy dismisses him, how rude!

We let him and his wife leave and then went back in to tell the owner and the waitress how much we enjoyed the meal. It really was quite good and the wait times were not that long.

During dinner the topic of ancestry came up because some of us have very distinct ethnic last names. He, very loudly pipes up and says "if you were born in America, then you are American, period!". So I ask him, "so those who celebrate their heritage are somehow less patriotic?", "isn't that what America is all about?". He refused to answer.

I feel bad for his wife, she is very sweet, no wonder she enjoys living in a different state!

As a server, I'm glad you went and clarified things with the owner. Unfortunately, we are human and sometimes get busy, meaning things slow down for our tables. It sucks and you try to make everything perfect for every table, but you can only do so many things at once. I have had genuinely bad service before, and there is no reason not to complain about having a bad experience, but thank you for being patient and understanding, and I'm sorry you has to listen to your friend ranting.

When Son #1 takes me shopping he gets half the shopping list. Cleaning supplies are on his half. He always crosses them off.

He is a contractor and gets commercial strength cleaning supplies at Home Depot at a discount. I had bleach and Pine Sol on the list. So he shows up today with a FIVE GALLON jug of bleach. And a gallon jug of Pine Sol, Lavender. It's a good thing my gallon jug of bleach was almost empty. I had him fill it up and take the five gallon jug home. I do appreciate that he pays for these supplies and charges them to his business. But this is OVERKILL!

Geesh son, I'm old and decrepit. Take pity on me. :rolleyes:

"An eye for an eye makes the world go blind". Why can't more people realize this?? A friend of my bf's stood up for someone and prevented/broke up a bar fight, so when he was leaving, these guys followed him, broke a bottle over his head, kicked and beat him until he was unconscious, leaving him with a broken jaw, and multiple broken ribs, then throwing him in a pond where he was lucky to end up laying face up. So he is pressing charges, and possibly pursuing a lawsuit against them. So now, someone broke out all his car windows because he is pursuing charges against those guys. Now, he is offering money to whoever can tell him the location of the guy who broke his car windows out (he knows who did it) so he can go beat him up, or whatever. Seriously, when will people learn???? This cycle will just keep going and going forever. What is the point??

Last edited:
One of my male Saints had renal insufficiency. We fed him a diet that was "designed." for a lack of a better word, by a canine nutritionist.For the first year, we would have blood work done every 3 months to make sure his levels were okay, after that, every 6 months. He lived to be 12 and a bit--which is GREAT for a Giant, but for a Giant with renal insufficiency, amazing. We also used the eye drops (when he was 11-12) that are used for diabetes insipidus for his "leaking." He didn't leak once we got the diet worked out until he was about 11. The drops worked--but they were expensive, but then, so was his diet (he loved, loved, loved kale--he'd eat that out of the box when I brought kale home--and beets, he loved beets). He died of hemangiosarcoma--not kidney disease. He was a retired lawn ornament. When he arrived (this was the first Saint I rescued), he had heartworm and a severe kidney infection. He had been tied outside for three years. He was the sweetest boy...and made me laugh every day--he was such a clown. I miss him still.

The simple answer for night-time "leaking" is usually a relaxed bladder and not kidney issues. If the dog is having incontinence at other times, than other things need to be investigated, but start with the simple first, and then move up from there is always my approach.

For a large dog, even completely healthy, that's a great old age. My dog was a Jack Russel with some Chihuahua in there, and was already 15 when diagnosed. Even for a small dog that's a pretty good old age. She started "leaking" at night, and blood tests are what showed she was having kidney failure (not just old age catching up with her). After we put her on the k/d, she lived, comfortably, those last 18 months. And we didn't have a wet bed (yes, our dogs have always slept on the bed).

Grrr! I hate it when the cashier at the store ruins my day.
He refused to take my ID when I tried to buy my weekly dose of Corona just because it was not a Texas drivers license. What?!
Has never happened to me before.
I have a state issued ID/permanent resident card, Norwegian passport, Norwegian drivers license and another Norwegian ID card.
How are tourists supposed to get around then?
This has annoyed me all day!

Just because you havent seen the combination of colors or shapes on an ID card before doesn't mean you need to deny me my Corona or call the press.
Gosh..

I feel like I need revenge.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom