Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Trapper doesn't know how to taste food. (it appears)

I made some orange vanilla pound cakes the other day, he takes a bite and says to me 'there's cornmeal in it'. Well, no there is not cornmeal in it. There is a crispish crust on it from flour and shortening but no cornmeal. He says there is cornmeal in it. He misidentified a taste with the texture of the crust.

I made a tuna macaroni salad, put some cucumbers chopped finely in it, no onions. He starts to eat it and says 'there is onion in it, I can taste it'. There is no onion in it. He misidentified the crunch of the cucumber with onion.

Then (yes all last week this happened) I make a pear pecan quinoa salad with some lemon juice. (maybe lime too) He says 'there is vinegar in here'. No there is no vinegar in there. Everything sour is not vinegar.

The texture of things seems to be more important than the taste.
I'm thinking I should have him eat blind folded and try to identify things by taste.:LOL:
This whole thing is weird and irritating!

Introduce him to the stove...:mrgreen::angel:

Introduce him to the stove...:mrgreen::angel:
I've tried that, he finishes something (anything) and he wanders off outside or downstairs, I can never find him.
Could you cut up this vegetable? Sure. Then he's gone in a flash, I don't know how he does it, it's almost magic.
Today he was going to stir the bacon and watch it, and he went upstairs to watch tv and thought he could just check it at commercials.:LOL:
I think his taster is broken.

I've tried that, he finishes something (anything) and he wanders off outside or downstairs, I can never find him.
Could you cut up this vegetable? Sure. Then he's gone in a flash, I don't know how he does it, it's almost magic.
Today he was going to stir the bacon and watch it, and he went upstairs to watch tv and thought he could just check it at commercials.:LOL:

Then...he can eat what you cook, and you don't put in what he doesn't like or he can eat baby food...no texture, no flavor...:neutral:

Shrek eats whatever he scrounges...I got tired of his complaining about what I cooked. I wouldn't have gotten so discouraged if he would have at least tasted what I cooked.

Taste can change when you get older. I really like the idea of taste testing. If he's willing, let us know how it's turning out.

Then...he can eat what you cook, and you don't put in what he doesn't like or he can eat baby food...no texture, no flavor...:neutral:

Shrek eats whatever he scrounges...I got tired of his complaining about what I cooked. I wouldn't have gotten so discouraged if he would have at least tasted what I cooked.

See and that is why it makes sense to try the 'taste this' blindfolded. If he can't correctly identify what it is and what is in it, then he doesn't get any of it. Plus it sounds like fun.
I'll get him to taste something, and I'll magically disappear to some place in the house he won't expect. Then he can spend his time searching for me.:LOL:

See and that is why it makes sense to try the 'taste this' blindfolded. If he can't correctly identify what it is and what is in it, then he doesn't get any of it. Plus it sounds like fun.
I'll get him to taste something, and I'll magically disappear to some place in the house he won't expect. Then he can spend his time searching for me.:LOL:

LOL!

I know alcoholism all too well. It is a hard life to live. I feel sorry for everyone involved :(

this is a man in pain. you and your mom need to stop enabling him. who buys his liquor? who is refilling his meds. i would suggest a commitment, with or without his permission. he will be angry with you. but the doctor's can ease the pain of withdrawal from the alcohol. once he can think clearly, then it is his game and his choice. i wish all of you the best of luck

Oh crap, blissful, you and I share the same husband! Trapper morphs into my DH when Trapper wanders out of the room and vice versa. No wonder I can never find the DH when I need him--he morphs into Trapper...the start to chop veggies and disappear in a flash after thing--that must be when they cross over between WI and SE ON. Ah...things are beginning to make sense.

I ain't had a rain gauge since Isabel blew through here. Took my two best pecan trees, clothesline and attached rain gauge. Replaced the clothesline but I reckon since I been doin' OK without a rain gauge, ain't no need to get one now.

Hmm. Come to think of it, if there's water standing in the yard, it probably rained a lot. Maybe I'll just save my pennies. But I was looking forward to a trip to the Tractor Supply farm store where I got the last gauge. It's a treat to browse through the aisles of interesting stuff - and fairly safe since I can't use any of it and am not so tempted to buy.

Sorry about your pecan trees. Now, that's a real loss.

Oh crap, blissful, you and I share the same husband! Trapper morphs into my DH when Trapper wanders out of the room and vice versa. No wonder I can never find the DH when I need him--he morphs into Trapper...the start to chop veggies and disappear in a flash after thing--that must be when they cross over between WI and SE ON. Ah...things are beginning to make sense.
:LOL::LOL: The joke is on us!

Sometimes I catch him as he is slinking away and I tell him how much I appreciate his help and could he now......do this or that?

It usually goes like this:
Me: WHERE are you going? (I recall this conversation with my child with attention problems wandering off.)
Trap: Um I was just ....(hurry make up some excuse)...looking at this or that.
Me: Would you mind chopping up that tomato? If not, you can stir this here and I'll chop the tomato.
Trap: No, I can chop the tomato FOR YOU. (what? I'm making this for US)
Me: You do such a good job, just bite sized, thanks so much.
Trap: Yep.
Me: WHERE are you going? ......on and on until I give up.

I really don't mind cooking by myself, I'm sure you don't mind either, it's just nice to spend time together in the kitchen sometimes. Only sometimes.

:LOL::LOL: The joke is on us!

Sometimes I catch him as he is slinking away and I tell him how much I appreciate his help and could he now......do this or that?

It usually goes like this:
Me: WHERE are you going? (I recall this conversation with my child with attention problems wandering off.)
Trap: Um I was just ....(hurry make up some excuse)...looking at this or that.
Me: Would you mind chopping up that tomato? If not, you can stir this here and I'll chop the tomato.
Trap: No, I can chop the tomato FOR YOU. (what? I'm making this for US)
Me: You do such a good job, just bite sized, thanks so much.
Trap: Yep.
Me: WHERE are you going? ......on and on until I give up.

I really don't mind cooking by myself, I'm sure you don't mind either, it's just nice to spend time together in the kitchen sometimes. Only sometimes.
I get asked "why do you always ask where I'm going? Why do women do that? Your friend XXXXX kept asking me that while I was there refinishing her floors if I went outside to the truck..."

Me: WHERE are you going?
DH: I was just going to the sawmill, why?
Me: The eggs are almost done, if you want toast, you should make it (I don't eat toast because I hardly ever eat bread).
DH: Oh, okay.

If you missed this scene at a theater near you, the above plays every time we are at the farm and I'm making those farm fresh eggs for breakfast (which I now have to bring from the city back to the farm).

I get asked "why do you always ask where I'm going? Why do women do that? Your friend XXXXX kept asking me that while I was there refinishing her floors if I went outside to the truck..."
Send him on over here.
Him: Why do you always ask where I'm going? Why do women do that?
Me: Because men seem to wander aimlessly like their brains are disconnected and they can't focus on anything longer than 5 minutes. We just don't want you to get lost.

And what is with the eggs problem?
Me: The eggs will be done in one minute.
Trap: walks out to the garden!
Me: HELLO? Where are you going? The eggs are almost done.
Trap: I'll be right back.
20 minutes later, I'm done eating and his food is cold--and he doesn't care that it's cold or that he gets to eat alone!

Future conversations about eggs.
Me: Your cold eggs will be cold in about 21 minutes. Why don't you go out to the garden for a while.
Trap: Okay.
Trap returns...
Trap: where are my fried eggs and toast?
Me: Oh I put them in the fridge so they would be good and cold for you.

Send him on over here.
Me: Because men seem to wander aimlessly like their brains are disconnected and they can't focus on anything longer than 5 minutes. We just don't want you to get lost.

...or maybe they just want to get away from all the questions!

20 minutes later, I'm done eating and his food is cold--and he doesn't care that it's cold or that he gets to eat alone!

Clearly he's not bothered by a cold breakfast. ..and he gets to eat alone - no questions!

Me: Your cold eggs will be cold in about 21 minutes. Why don't you go out to the garden for a while.
Trap returns...

No need to carry it to extremes.

They guy's take on things.

Send him on over here.

Trap returns...
I'd laugh, except I know that scene well too!

I can actually speak on this subject.

I used to call DH for meals and he would be on the computer. I would call sometimes up to three times and the food would be cold.

I started to call him earlier and it would work until he would catch on and would be longer and the food would get cold.

So, one day I decided to really get him. I got out all the preparations for lunch and put them on the counter unprepared in any way. I then called him to lunch and he took his sweet time. when he finally got to the kitchen there was a note on how to prepare it and that I was next door visiting our neighbour, call me when it is ready.

He made it, with just enough time to spare for work and we made a deal that I would call him 5 minutes before it was ready and he would be there on time. In fact now he often helps me get it ready. :rolleyes:

SO used to grill me when I called her to dinner. Are we ready to sit and eat? Have you rested/carved/etc. the meat? Etc.

I got tired of that real fast and told her from now on Ill call you once and once only. Come or don't come that's up to you.

I will give a 3 or 5 minute warning when appropriate.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom