Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glad I don't have that problem- my bf is an angel :) Asks if I need help, hangs out with me in the kitchen while I cook, and puts away the leftovers. He has been known to complain about the food now and then tho... He can be a little picky.

He made it, with just enough time to spare for work and we made a deal that I would call him 5 minutes before it was ready and he would be there on time. In fact now he often helps me get it ready. :rolleyes:

A happy ending.:yum:

Typically, I tell him I'm going downstairs to cook and ask him to come with me. He has to do something on the computer or gets distracted and starts watching tv. By the time he shows up, the meal is usually made or close to being done.
Last week, I told him I was going downstairs to watch tv and cook. I asked him to come with me. He was 'busy' and would come down soon. I told him I'd wait for him to come down before I started cooking. I set myself on the couch and watched tv until he showed up.

Andy, FAR AWAY?:LOL:

A happy ending.:yum:

Typically, I tell him I'm going downstairs to cook and ask him to come with me. He has to do something on the computer or gets distracted and starts watching tv. By the time he shows up, the meal is usually made or close to being done.
Last week, I told him I was going downstairs to watch tv and cook. I asked him to come with me. He was 'busy' and would come down soon. I told him I'd wait for him to come down before I started cooking. I set myself on the couch and watched tv until he showed up.

Andy, FAR AWAY?:LOL:

Where ever it's QUIET!

Last edited:
Glad I don't have that problem- my bf is an angel :) Asks if I need help, hangs out with me in the kitchen while I cook, and puts away the leftovers. He has been known to complain about the food now and then tho... He can be a little picky.

Yes, but he is young - he still has time to get set in his ways :LOL:

LPBeier said:
Yes, but he is young - he still has time to get set in his ways :LOL:

Lol maybe, but I don't think so. I asked him to hang out with me while I'm cooking, and now he just does unless he has something else he needs to work on, and it's my rule that when one person cooks the other puts away the leftovers. I don't usually have to ask him to do that anymore either. He's 40 and apparently trainable :) He is a smart man- he knows that when I'm happy we are both happy lol.

Lol maybe, but I don't think so. I asked him to hang out with me while I'm cooking, and now he just does unless he has something else he needs to work on, and it's my rule that when one person cooks the other puts away the leftovers. I don't usually have to ask him to do that anymore either. He's 40 and apparently trainable :) He is a smart man- he knows that when I'm happy we are both happy lol.

Sounds like a keeper to me! :)

I tell Shrek...'I will be turning your over easy eggs in two minutes. If you want toast now is the time.' It only took one over hard egg and no toast for him to get the idea. He also knows that I won't leave the stove on any more to keep things warm. He got tired of overcooked food.

My husband used to love to sit in the kitchen while I cooked. We had so little together time due to his job. Sometimes I would ask him to peel a veggie or two. I don't know if it was deliberate on his part or not, but it wasn't worth it. He hated to use a peeler. Preferred a knife like his mother did. What a mess. And half the peel left on the veggie. I could peel a whole bunch of carrots in the time it took him scrape just one.

When I would make breakfast for him, I would arrange the food as if he was eating in a restaurant. He was so easy to impress. His first wife only knew how to shop in the freezer and can goods section of the supermarket. She didn't even know there was a produce section. Instant potatoes, canned peas and othe veggies, and frozen meats like Salsbury steaks with gravy. He ate pretty good on the boat, but it too was food that had to be made in a hurry. Then on the last two days out, the food would be running low, so the meals got smaller with less variety. He was glad to get a homecooked meal. There were only two foods he wouldn't eat. Powered eggs and Brussel sprouts. No problem there. I wouldn't eat them either. :chef:

Last edited:
I tell Shrek...'I will be turning your over easy eggs in two minutes. If you want toast now is the time.' It only took one over hard egg and no toast for him to get the idea. He also knows that I won't leave the stove on any more to keep things warm. He got tired of overcooked food.
The girls have spoiled us--if the yolk breaks on its way to the pan or the eggs aren't perfect, we exercise the "do-over" option and the dogs get the imperfectly cooked eggs...

Introduce him to the stove...:mrgreen::angel:

oh this just came back to me. A year or so ago I asked him if he would make us a meal (me, son, him) and he said sure.

So he makes a vegetable, I think it was broccoli, boiled garlic butter potatoes and chicken with a mushroom sauce.
Everything was very good. So I ask him, " how much butter did you use for all that?"......He says, " three sticks", yeah, THREE STICKS, that's 24 oz of butter for three people.

Now you know I cook and that is why I'm still alive. I'm fearful to ask him to meet the stove again. Part of me thinks he does stuff like that so he doesn't have to cook.

And sorry about the drink Andy, I had this nice cranberry slushy recipe and I couldn't find it. So......WHERE are you now?:LOL:

oh this just came back to me. A year or so ago I asked him if he would make us a meal (me, son, him) and he said sure.

So he makes a vegetable, I think it was broccoli, boiled garlic butter potatoes and chicken with a mushroom sauce.
Everything was very good. So I ask him, " how much butter did you use for all that?"......He says, " three sticks", yeah, THREE STICKS, that's 24 oz of butter for three people.

Now you know I cook and that is why I'm still alive. I'm fearful to ask him to meet the stove again. Part of me thinks he does stuff like that so he doesn't have to cook.

And sorry about the drink Andy, I had this nice cranberry slushy recipe and I couldn't find it. So......WHERE are you now?:LOL:

Ill take a raincheck on the drink. Three sticks of butter is only 12 ounces (24 tablespoons). So you can let him cook twice as often! :LOL::LOL:

Ill take a raincheck on the drink. Three sticks of butter is only 12 ounces (24 tablespoons). So you can let him cook twice as often! :LOL::LOL:
Ah, you are right there, my mistake, probably brought on by butter deposits in my brain.:LOL:

blissful said:

Every time my bf cooks he does something that makes me shake my head. Luckily it isn't 3 sticks of butter for one meal!! I wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut for that one. Mostly it's just dirtying unnecessary dishes (which I usually end up washing), or using something like lunch meat in a cooked meal (that stuff is expensive, not to mention salty!!). I try not to say anything because I'm glad he helps, and I know how I like it when he makes comments lol

Every time my bf cooks he does something that makes me shake my head. Luckily it isn't 3 sticks of butter for one meal!! I wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut for that one. Mostly it's just dirtying unnecessary dishes (which I usually end up washing), or using something like lunch meat in a cooked meal (that stuff is expensive, not to mention salty!!). I try not to say anything because I'm glad he helps, and I know how I like it when he makes comments lol

Same here, Shrek takes something you would never think of using in a cooked meal and makes a meal out of it...I didn't have the heart to tell him the BBQ Beef he made out of the canned roast beef was dreck...

...I try not to say anything because I'm glad he helps, and I know how I like it when he makes comments lol

...I didn't have the heart to tell him the BBQ Beef he made out of the canned roast beef was dreck...

Ladies, I have to disagree with your approach. If you don't comment constructively, you are doomed to get he same stuff again. My SO knows she has to tell me the truth about a meal because she doesn't want it served again. I appreciate that. We discuss if it's salvageable with changes for a retry or no hope and delete the recipe.

Andy M. said:
Ladies, I have to disagree with your approach. If you don't comment constructively, you are doomed to get he same stuff again. My SO knows she has to tell me the truth about a meal because she doesn't want it served again. I appreciate that. We discuss if it's salvageable with changes for a retry or no hope and delete the recipe.

That's the approach the hubby and I take too.

We have tried this 'honesty approach' as well.

He tasted it and told me it was so good he was thinking of not chopping me before the second round.
ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
I told him I hoped he wasn't going to be hungry tomorrow.

I asked him if HIS chili was okay? (yes) Was it bland, he said it was bland. I said, oh good, then I know you like it. (he does) Then he tasted MY chili (highly spiced version no beans no tomato), and he said it was terrible. I said, good, then you won't eat my chili, so just leave it alone.

Actually, to start talking about HIS cooking, we first have to open the door to an acceptable way for HIM to criticize my cooking.
Does it have enough salt for you? Anything you can think of that we could add to this next time, or take out next time?

Then, when he cooks, 2-3 times per year, I'll offer constructive advice if it is needed. (Something like--that's a little salty for me--or--I like/dislike the texture of the meat when it comes from a can--or--generally I like using less than a Tablespoon of butter per person for any one meal for health reasons.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom