Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GotGarlic said:
This is relatively minor, but it's really getting on my nerves right now. Somehow I did something to my neck this morning (not during sleep) and if I look down, there's a sharp pain at the back of my neck going down my back. Now it's giving me a headache. I need to get some preserving done and am really aggravated. Thanks for listening.

Hope you are able to get things done and feel better soon.

This is relatively minor, but it's really getting on my nerves right now. Somehow I did something to my neck this morning (not during sleep) and if I look down, there's a sharp pain at the back of my neck going down my back. Now it's giving me a headache. I need to get some preserving done and am really aggravated. Thanks for listening.
That sounds like something that has happened to me twice. In both cases the doctor said that it was probably salt that had crystallized on a nerve. It took several days to go away.

taxlady said:
That sounds like something that has happened to me twice. In both cases the doctor said that it was probably salt that had crystallized on a nerve. It took several days to go away.

My dog just had something of the sort in this neck. Sodium and calcium build up. Low grade pain killers and time. Gotta work itself out, break it all up and absorb it.

16629-albums905-picture4976.jpg

I love Maxine. She is my hero. I try to emulate her attitude every day. :angel:

Right now my main grumble is that I had the hip surgery 3 weeks ago .... am recovering very well according to my PCP, surgeon, and PT. I've seen a lot of progress. BUT, that said, I'm almost in tears with the frustration of having to be inactive, not being able to drive. Three weeks ago I was taking 3-5 hour-long exercise classes a week, walking up a down our very steep streets, driving around to run all our errands, helping out a couple of elderly friends twice a week. Now I have no idea when I'll be able to get back to any of this (well, the surgeon said i can try driving in an empty parking lot and start on the street when I feel secure in my speed from foot on accelerator to brake (It would be my right leg). I read a lot, but am not big on TV. I've gotten back to doing most of my household chores (except gardening, not steady enough for our rough, slanted, terraced yard). But what I am able to do exhausts me, so I drift off to sleep during the day, then am up all night. I'm still sleeping on the couch because I'm only sleeping a few hours a night, and that in one-hour increments. No reason to keep my husband awake and have him grouchy the next day.

I'm a person who's rarely bored, but I am literally becoming bored to tears of frustration. I'm trying to pick up an old hobby (beadwork) to ease it a little.

Sorry for going on ....

you have every right to be bored. being sick is a pain in the you kow what.

Vent #1 I hate AC. Even though I need it to breath. I had to make a run to the corner store. It was so hot and muggy out. I get to the store and the AC is going full blast. Instantly my nose starts to run like the rapids of a river. I had a fistful of tissue with me. I grab it fast and within seconds it was soaking.

Vent #2 I hate Friday night television. I am getting tired of the Olympics. What is left for sports are the ones I am not interested in. And there are never any good shows on Friday night. They are all reruns. So I have Churchill on. A rerun. Even the Olympics has a rerun on right now. It is about the Scrugg girl with the torn ligaments at the summer Olympics that gave America the gold in Atlanta.

Vent #3 I am tired of being old. It seems as soon as I get one medical problem under control or solved, another one pops up. When does it end. Old age is hard work and no fun. I have patches of all white hair and the rest is salt and pepper grey. I want it to go to ALL white. I am tired of aches and pains that I have no control over. I want to be able to do cartwheels again and other gymnastic stuff that I did as a child and teenager. I want to go on long bike trips. I want to go Pioneer camping. I want to be able to live on a farm and do farm work like I used to. I want to get up early and go outside and hear the birds just wakiing up in the fresh air of the country side. I don't like being old.

Okay. Venting done with. I now feel better. Thank you for listening.:)

I'm so furious at the cat right now. He just peed all over two of my best dress shirts. Two of my favorites that I wear all the time to work and church and when Rol and I go out. Two that I always get compliments on and that actual fit well and that I feel comfortable in. And it's not like I can afford to just go out and get new shirts. I've got them soakibg in hot water and they'll stay there until I can find change to wash them. I'm hoping if I run them through three or four washes all in a row without lettibg them dry, that the smell will come out. Otherwise they're ruined.

I just don't get it. He's never peed on stuff before! I mean, he's had accidents when he was scared, like on the way home from the vet, but he's never intentionally peed on our stuff. He used the bathtub once when Rol and I were out of town and his litterbox got too full but his box wasn't that full. And it's not like he was looking for a place and accidently hit the clothes. It was a pile of clothes in the middle of the floor that we'd just gathered up to pack into the laundry bags so we could take them to the wash. He delibrately chose something of ours to pee on. I'm just... Grrr!

purple.alien.giraffe said:
I'm so furious at the cat right now. He just peed all over two of my best dress shirts. Two of my favorites that I wear all the time to work and church and when Rol and I go out. Two that I always get compliments on and that actual fit well and that I feel comfortable in. And it's not like I can afford to just go out and get new shirts. I've got them soakibg in hot water and they'll stay there until I can find change to wash them. I'm hoping if I run them through three or four washes all in a row without lettibg them dry, that the smell will come out. Otherwise they're ruined.

I just don't get it. He's never peed on stuff before! I mean, he's had accidents when he was scared, like on the way home from the vet, but he's never intentionally peed on our stuff. He used the bathtub once when Rol and I were out of town and his litterbox got too full but his box wasn't that full. And it's not like he was looking for a place and accidently hit the clothes. It was a pile of clothes in the middle of the floor that we'd just gathered up to pack into the laundry bags so we could take them to the wash. He delibrately chose something of ours to pee on. I'm just... Grrr!

So sorry, PAG. Could it be a bladder or kidney infection?

purple.alien.giraffe said:

Imo. I may very well be wrong about this, but isn't it common for domesticated animals to become destructive and spiteful when they feel they have been wronged? A dog will tear up your sneakers if you don't spend enough time with it. A cat will crap on your pillow if you leave the cat outside for too long. And so on and so on. Either way, I hope your shirts are ok. :) cheers.

If I were to guess I'd say the cat MIGHT have thought a large pile of clothes might indicate another move or you packing for an out of town trip. Cats HATE that. He was likely just registering his displeasure at the thought of more emotional trauma.

Sorry about your shirts PAG. Blissful taught me the dishwasher powder trick to whiten whites, it has the added benefit of killing odor, you could try that in your soak water.

If I were to guess I'd say the cat MIGHT have thought a large pile of clothes might indicate another move or you packing for an out of town trip. Cats HATE that. He was likely just registering his displeasure at the thought of more emotional trauma.

Sorry about your shirts PAG. Blissful taught me the dishwasher powder trick to whiten whites, it has the added benefit of killing odor, you could try that in your soak water.
I agree with Alix. Today we were moving furniture around to give DH and I our own space for computers, etc. Our dogs went crazy! Violet would get in the way no matter if we were moving a small box or heavy desk. Then she was shaking and panting all over the place. Animals do not like change, even when they only perceive it.

I hope you can salvage your shirts.

+1 and for the dishwasher soap trick.

LPBeier said:
I hated Mother's day because I wasn't one

I avoid Mother's Day and Father's Day services at church and only go to weddings of family or very close friends. I'm still somewhat bitter that I never had the blessings of husband and children. Listening to a sermon about the virtue of marriage and raising children hurts and puts me into a mild depression for a day or so. Sometimes reading FB posts from high school classmates going on about their children and grandchildren brings up that same yearning/jealousy. I've thought about foster care or adoption but my house isn't big enough for another person or in good enough condition to sell and I can't afford to fix it. I'm old enough now that I've got to accept that I'll grow old alone. I've never liked being alone but what is. ..is. My few friends have families of their own and we rarely see each other. That's partly why I show up at school several times a week during summer break. If not for my parents and my job, I don't think anyone would notice for quite a while if something should happen to me.
Well, enough wallowing in self-pity. I need to get to bed.

I avoid Mother's Day and Father's Day services at church and only go to weddings of family or very close friends. I'm still somewhat bitter that I never had the blessings of husband and children. Listening to a sermon about the virtue of marriage and raising children hurts and puts me into a mild depression for a day or so. Sometimes reading FB posts from high school classmates going on about their children and grandchildren brings up that same yearning/jealousy. I've thought about foster care or adoption but my house isn't big enough for another person or in good enough condition to sell and I can't afford to fix it. I'm old enough now that I've got to accept that I'll grow old alone. I've never liked being alone but what is. ..is. My few friends have families of their own and we rarely see each other. That's partly why I show up at school several times a week during summer break. If not for my parents and my job, I don't think anyone would notice for quite a while if something should happen to me.
Well, enough wallowing in self-pity. I need to get to bed.

You really, really, seriously need to find an outlet for your loving feelings. Time to get out and work at a shelter, find people who need surrogate relatives, there are hundreds of places, I'm sure, that need you to get out there and move in your community. Look at your own interests and then find a source for helping out. There is no reason to be lonely. Libraries and museums run on volunteer work. Schools often need class room bus, etc, monitors. Some schools and libraries have days when you can go in and read to children. Some communities have ESL (English as a Second Language) classes that need volunteers.

Wake up tomorrow morning (I'd say today but it is Sunday) and find a good fit for you. It sometimes takes a few tries to find volunteer work that you enjoy, but please do it.

Having children isn't the be all to end all, and trust me, having a spouse can be worse than having no spouse. As I said many years ago (yes I am married now, and childless by choice), you probably don't believe it, but trust me it is true. Being lonely when you're married and/or have children is much worse than being lonely by yourself. So embrace your time alone, and when it is too much, make sure you have a place where you can help care for others.

Also, find a place that is your "third place". That is to say, find somewhere you like the ambiance, and just buy a drink and start nursing it and hanging out. You'd be surprised at how many people you will meet doing this. I've seen people hanging out at the library, at the local McD's, coffee houses, etc.

Do not waste one more minute of your life with regrets. You don't make friends by sitting in your home. Move on out. Now!

Do not waste one more minute of your life with regrets. You don't make friends by sitting in your home. Move on out. Now!

Great advice!

When I get feeling low I go over the lyrics of Cabaret!

Put down the knitting,
The book and the broom.
Time for a holiday.
Life is Cabaret, old chum,
Come to the Cabaret.

Get out and get involved, do a little self promotion.

Like Woody Allen said " ninety percent of life is showing up!" :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom