Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, all! Will try some plain rice if she can't keep her lamb and rice food down. She will definitely go to the vet as soon as I can get her in. The beautiful Sheltie across the street sucumbed to pancreatic cancer, they had to put him down. The Chesapeke Bay Retriever next door had bone cancer, and was an amputee, they lost her a few years ago. Now another neighbor's 15 yo mutt is suddenly gaining weight around her heart and lungs from fluid, and she will have to be put to sleep.

Sad dog day around here.

DL--she's definitely got some sort of bug. Dogs do not throw up for 3 days in a row if not sick. They can be off their food for 24 hours and be back on, but 3 days is unusual. Is she drinking water? With the heat and vomiting, I'd be worried about dehydration. Hopefully you can get her in to the vet in the morning.

CWS4322 said:
DL--she's definitely got some sort of bug. Dogs do not throw up for 3 days in a row if not sick. They can be off their food for 24 hours and be back on, but 3 days is unusual. Is she drinking water? With the heat and vomiting, I'd be worried about dehydration. Hopefully you can get her in to the vet in the morning.

Thanks, CWS. She's drinking water, in A/C, and goes on walks when it cools off at night. I haven't changed her food, she just blorps it up. On the carpet, of course.

I did figure out the best puke cleaner-upper. Cut a cheap paper plate in half, and use as a scraper. Half to scrape, other half to receive.

she just blorps it up.

Blorps--learning new words here has improved my life immensely.

I have to tell you about my special skill, with kids, dogs and cats, I make it my life's mission to catch it before it hits the carpet. The best was, when my son ate blue jello with gummi worms, seriously, green blorp, I caught it before it hit the carpeting.:LOL:

blissful said:
Blorps--learning new words here has improved my life immensely.

I have to tell you about my special skill, with kids, dogs and cats, I make it my life's mission to catch it before it hits the carpet. The best was, when my son ate blue jello with gummi worms, seriously, green blorp, I caught it before it hit the carpeting.:LOL:

:ROFLMAO: :rolf: Blissful, that is indeed impressive! We are entering you in the DC Olympic Blorp Saving Competition!

Beagle is not feeling well. She's thrown up her food for the last 3 days, (always on the carpeted areas of course), feels hot, and seems lethargic. Will make a vet appt. tomorrow.

I hope you get her into the office soon. Our miniature schnauzer has liver issues and sometimes get sick if she gets sick and throws up too. Our vet has us give her 1/2 of a 10 mg Pepcid table in the morning about an hour before we feed her. That and bland food (rice, plain yogurt, baby food) for a few days usually gets her back on track.

:ROFLMAO: :rolf: Blissful, that is indeed impressive! We are entering you in the DC Olympic Blorp Saving Competition!

Good to know. Will I be competing against the Canadian Competition (CWS--I just know it will be you.)?:LOL:

Oh shoot, and forgot about the UK competition, probably Bolas or his brother. Really stiff competition. I need practice.

Last edited:
DaveSoMD said:
I hope you get her into the office soon. Our miniature schnauzer has liver issues and sometimes get sick if she gets sick and throws up too. Our vet has us give her 1/2 of a 10 mg Pepcid table in the morning about an hour before we feed her. That and bland food (rice, plain yogurt, baby food) for a few days usually gets her back on track.

Good to know. Thought about a piece of Pepto Bismal tablet, but that has aspirin. Will see what the vet says.

Last edited:
Not a vet, but does she blorp (love the word) immediately after eating? Does she blorp only in the a.m. or 5-6 hours after eating? Is it regurgitated food, look like coffee grounds, slimy, or is it yellow bile?

Last edited:
It looks like her dry food, only wet. She blorps several hours after eating.

She's had several behavioral changes too. She barks at cats and coyotes, and watches for them constantly. I'm wondering if she's stressed by this. She's not a dog who usually barks.

It looks like her dry food, only wet. She blorps several hours after eating.

She's had several behavioral changes too. She barks at cats and coyotes, and watches for them constantly. I'm wondering if she's stressed by this. She's not a dog who usually barks.
Be sure to mention that to the vet--that she blorps several hours after eating. Does she give you the rolf-rolf-rolf sound before she blorps (fwiw, I'm very good at getting the dog outside between the first and second rolf sound...) or does she just blorp? I don't think the two are necessarily related. Dogs blorp for a variety of reasons. It could be an internal parasite, it could be helio bacter, it could be other things. Only the vet will be able to tell you. Have you taken her temperature?

Last edited:
CWS4322 said:
Be sure to mention that to the vet--that she blorps several hours after eating. Does she give you the rolf-rolf-rolf sound before she blorps (fwiw, I'm very good at getting the dog outside between the first and second rolf sound...) or does she just blorp? I don't think the two are necessarily related. Dogs blorp for a variety of reasons. It could be an internal parasite, it could be helio bacter, it could be other things. Only the vet will be able to tell you. Have you taken her temperature?

One retch, then blorp. I tried to catch her on the last blorp, she ran away from me and blorped on the dog bed in the living room. She feels warm to me.

I'm wondering about an ulcer, or if she's stressed over protecting us from outdoor cats, coyotes, and deer.

She was also watching a bunny for about an hour the other day, then a stray pitbull tore out of the woods and attacked HER bunny. She was very upset.

Last edited:
blorp. blorp, rolf, rolf. I must add these words to my dictionary in case they come up in a Scrabble game. I will insist that they are real words from Dc members. And they should know. :ROFLMAO:

a stray pitbull

This would worry me if it is truly a stray rather than one just let run loose by the owner. Stray critters like that might be likely to contract rabies, given their proclivity to engage with other critters at will. And let me point out that I have no quarrel with pitbulls....My grandson and DIL both have pits that are some of the smartest and well mannered dogs I have known. But they do love to play and give chase.

Great advice!

When I get feeling low I go over the lyrics of Cabaret!

Put down the knitting,
The book and the broom.
Time for a holiday.
Life is Cabaret, old chum,
Come to the Cabaret.

Get out and get involved, do a little self promotion.

Like Woody Allen said " ninety percent of life is showing up!" :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

probably doesn't surprise anyone, this is a favorite of mine as well. Come on, start celebrating, life is where your table's waiting.

This would worry me if it is truly a stray rather than one just let run loose by the owner. Stray critters like that might be likely to contract rabies, given their proclivity to engage with other critters at will. And let me point out that I have no quarrel with pitbulls....My grandson and DIL both have pits that are some of the smartest and well mannered dogs I have known. But they do love to play and give chase.
+1

taxlady said:

We haven't seen the stray since. Am hoping it belongs to somebody.

Beagle hasn't blorped for a day. Took her to the vet this morning, it was time for Bordatella shot and heartworm check. Vet said she should be fine, but prescribed some precautionary deworming meds. I also learned if she blorps again, to withhold food and water for 24 hours. Beagle never did lose her appetite, so would probably be very unhappy to not get fed!

Thanks for all the concerned advice!

We haven't seen the stray since. Am hoping it belongs to somebody.

Beagle hasn't blorped for a day. Took her to the vet this morning, it was time for Bordatella shot and heartworm check. Vet said she should be fine, but prescribed some precautionary deworming meds. I also learned if she blorps again, to withhold food and water for 24 hours. Beagle never did lose her appetite, so would probably be very unhappy to not get fed!

Thanks for all the concerned advice!
Glad to hear she hasn't blorped for a day and the vet thinks she should be fine. Here's hoping she is.

A 24-hour fast usually does the trick for minor stuff. Even for dogs on hw meds, they can still get worms that can cause vomiting. I always fasted new dogs that came in for 36-hours so I could change food without having to do the gradual wean to new food thing. I never had any issues when I did that, and I did that with .... 80+ foster dogs. They also got a dose of two different wormers (one for general, one specifically for tape) whether they needed it or not. I used to worm my own dogs on New Year's Eve (during the off-time re: hw meds here), whether they needed it or not! I also did the fasting thing with the stray cat, but I did give her access to water.

Last edited:
I'm so glad that Beagle is ok. Our pets are our children, and it is terrible when they are sick.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom