Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some stuff about Canada's dairy quotas from Canadians don't know the price of milk - The Globe and Mail:

"The system dates back more than 40 years and evolved largely to protect dairy farmers from food conglomerates. [emphasis mine] Today the Canadian Dairy Commission and provincial marketing boards regulate the price paid to farmers and control the amount each farmer produces."

"So, when you compare honestly, Canadians pay fair retail prices, Canadian dairy farmers get a fair share and the Canadian government does not subsidize milk a penny, [emphasis mine]" says Bill Mitchell, a spokesman for the organization. "That's why Canada is keeping its milk marketing system - because it works."

That doesn't explain why milk is cheaper in Quebec than it is in Ontario or why one can't bring more than $20 of dairy products across the border. I don't like milk in plastic bags. There is something about what dairy cows eat in the
US vs Ontario. I call BS on that. I've been nailed at the border for having more than $20 in dairy products.

Last edited:
That doesn't explain why milk is cheaper in Quebec than it is in Ontario or why one can't bring more than $20 of dairy products across the border. I don't like milk in plastic bags. There is something about what dairy cows eat in the
US vs Ontario. I call BS on that. I've been nailed at the border for having more than $20 in dairy products.
Call BS on what exactly?

Anyone out there that needs something to be broken? This is just the day for me. Everything I touch has gone awry on me. Oracle shows up on my screen. Wants to install something on my computer. Now I know they have the Java program and that is important. So I say yes to it. I forgot to uncheck the little box asking if I want to have some stupid thing as my home page. Get that straightened out. Then my health plan gives me a digital thermometer. My old one went dead after seven years. This one is in Celsius. I don't do Celsius. I live in the U.S. and do Fahrenheit. And even if I hold down the button, I can't change it over like my old one. While I was at Winthrop I asked if they had any regular size bandaids. The ones I have are big ones. They look like quit smoking patches. So they give me a little plastic case with ten bandaids in it. (They were a left over gift from a promotional presentation.) Trying to get it open I cut my finger. Then I go to use my cell phone. It wasn't working. So I plug it in to charge it. It already has a full charge. It took me 15 minutes before I realized that it was shut off. I need a cup of coffee. I am afraid to go into the kitchen. Heaven knows what damage I can do in there. :mad:

I still had 3 hours of work at 4 PM...I gave up and came home, just could not sit there any longer.
OH PF you need to just put your feet up and relax, three hours left of work is not a good thing. I still have mucho to do today and I don't want to do a thing. But do some of it I must. Take care and just rest.
hugs,
kades ma

OH PF you need to just put your feet up and relax, three hours left of work is not a good thing. I still have mucho to do today and I don't want to do a thing. But do some of it I must. Take care and just rest.
hugs,
kades ma

The heart tests are hanging over me, sinuses are going nuts because of all the fire smoke, one of my new patients has been a friend for years and she's dying of pancreatic cancer. I'm just having a very bad day.

PrincessFiona60 said:
The heart tests are hanging over me, sinuses are going nuts because of all the fire smoke, one of my new patients has been a friend for years and she's dying of pancreatic cancer. I'm just having a very bad day.

Oh, geez, you sure are, PF. Hug your kitties, puppies, and Shrek, and know you're in my thoughts! You are one tough ogress!

Thanks Alix and Dawg...I just found out with my new medication I can go back to grapefruit...Yahoo! And there isn't a drop of it in the house...

Great news! Now to find the GF trees in Montana and go raiding.

Wait, does Montana have GF trees?

Last edited:
Sometimes I wish I drank...

Thanks, TL!

Thanks here too. I am with you PF I would be rip roaring drunk right now. Instead, I had a couple of mouthfulls of some pasta with sauce. I am feeling calmer now.

One of the nicer tenants's husband has been sent to a hospice center. We had a good talk today. He wants to come home and she wants him with her. I can understand that He has about a month to live. They have been married for 53 years. Her health is not the greatest either. I asked her if it gets to be too difficult for her to take care of him by herself, can she bring herself to ask for help. He is a big man. And he is in constant pain from the cancer. It is throughout his body. I asked her some hard questions. Having outlived two husbands and a daughter, I know what she is going to be going through. She wants to be holding him when he goes. And I agree with her that she should. But she can do that at the hospice place. They will put a bed in the room for her. And at the same time she will be relieved of the taking care of all his needs. The hospice folks are really great at what they do. Give them a chance to do their work. I gave her some thoughts to dwell on.

When the other tenants ask how he is doing, her standard answer is, "Oh, he is fine." It is mostly the gossip ring that asks her. And they are the last ones you want to tell anything to. They ALWAYS manage to turn the conversation around to themselves. She has a social worker that gives her about 20 minutes each time he talks to her. She said it mostly him asking questions about getting ready for his funeral. That is not the kind of counseling she needs right now.

We really had a good conversation. She was getting tired and was ready to go upstairs and get some rest. She hugged me and gave me a big Thank You. I have the feeling we will be talking again. And I will be here if and when she wants to. :angel:

Thanks here too. I am with you PF I would be rip roaring drunk right now. Instead, I had a couple of mouthfulls of some pasta with sauce. I am feeling calmer now.

One of the nicer tenants's husband has been sent to a hospice center. We had a good talk today. He wants to come home and she wants him with her. I can understand that He has about a month to live. They have been married for 53 years. Her health is not the greatest either. I asked her if it gets to be too difficult for her to take care of him by herself, can she bring herself to ask for help. He is a big man. And he is in constant pain from the cancer. It is throughout his body. I asked her some hard questions. Having outlived two husbands and a daughter, I know what she is going to be going through. She wants to be holding him when he goes. And I agree with her that she should. But she can do that at the hospice place. They will put a bed in the room for her. And at the same time she will be relieved of the taking care of all his needs. The hospice folks are really great at what they do. Give them a chance to do their work. I gave her some thoughts to dwell on.

When the other tenants ask how he is doing, her standard answer is, "Oh, he is fine." It is mostly the gossip ring that asks her. And they are the last ones you want to tell anything to. They ALWAYS manage to turn the conversation around to themselves. She has a social worker that gives her about 20 minutes each time he talks to her. She said it mostly him asking questions about getting ready for his funeral. That is not the kind of counseling she needs right now.

We really had a good conversation. She was getting tired and was ready to go upstairs and get some rest. She hugged me and gave me a big Thank You. I have the feeling we will be talking again. And I will be here if and when she wants to. :angel:

I agree with the Hospice center choice, you are spot on. She will be able to spend more time WITH him there than she could at home caring for him. Ease her into this better choice, it's a hard one to make, especially now. I feel for her, my thoughts and prayers go out to her and her husband.

The hospice was the best place for my dad at the end. They managed his pain well, and at the end they gave him all of the pain medication that he needed, this type of care wouldn't be as easy to give at home. They set up a bed for mom, and she spent the last 2 weeks with him. They kept refreshements outside of the room at all times for the family. They are trained so well to do this, it must take a special person to be a hospice nurse.

The hospice was the best place for my dad at the end. They managed his pain well, and at the end they gave him all of the pain medication that he needed, this type of care wouldn't be as easy to give at home. They set up a bed for mom, and she spent the last 2 weeks with him. They kept refreshements outside of the room at all times for the family. They are trained so well to do this, it must take a special person to be a hospice nurse.

Thanks, BC...it is fulfilling work. Hard on the heart...

I agree with the Hospice center choice, you are spot on. She will be able to spend more time WITH him there than she could at home caring for him. Ease her into this better choice, it's a hard one to make, especially now. I feel for her, my thoughts and prayers go out to her and her husband.

She leaves in the morning and gets home about six at night. I will try to grab her tomorrow when she gets home. Hopefully the rubber noses won't be around.

I find that asking questions and giving a person something to think about, rather than telling them what they should do is a much better approach and more productive. She has a daughter that is in her 40's and bipolar. She is one step below useless. Her son has taken a week off from work. So she is not alone at this time.

She leaves in the morning and gets home about six at night. I will try to grab her tomorrow when she gets home. Hopefully the rubber noses won't be around.

I find that asking questions and giving a person something to think about, rather than telling them what they should do is a much better approach and more productive. She has a daughter that is in her 40's and bipolar. She is one step below useless. Her son has taken a week off from work. So she is not alone at this time.

Rubber noses, ask her in for a coffee and a relax. Just being there and supportive of any decisions she makes will be the biggest help. I was not suggesting telling her, just helping.

I'm glad she has you there.

Back
Top Bottom