Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Medication Lists, folks. It's important for you to have with you, at all times, a list of your medications. There's nothing worse than trying to remember your meds telling the emergency room nurse what you take as you are experiencing a heart attack!!!

I keep an up to date list on the computer and make several copies, when folded in half they are the size of a credit card. I print them out on colored paper so they are easy to spot and keep them in my wallet. Then I can hand folks a copy when they ask and always have a reference.
I think this is an excellent idea and one I will implement.

But, that doesn't address the issue. I think it is irresponsible for the doctor to rely on the patient's memory for the dosage.

When I call my doctor to have a 'script renewed she asks which medication. She checks my file to see if I need to see her before it is refilled, while I am on the phone.

Medication Lists, folks. It's important for you to have with you, at all times, a list of your medications. There's nothing worse than trying to remember your meds telling the emergency room nurse what you take as you are experiencing a heart attack!!!

I keep an up to date list on the computer and make several copies, when folded in half they are the size of a credit card. I print them out on colored paper so they are easy to spot and keep them in my wallet. Then I can hand folks a copy when they ask and always have a reference.

I take a bunch of meds and bring a printed list to medical appts. Leading up to this surgery, I had to repeat the list several times. Once, in the ortho Dr's office I suggested they get them online. They did with no problem. On a registration phone call for the surgery, I had to list them again. Then when I got to the hosp., they asked me to list them AGAIN! I refused so the woman said OK, I have them online.

That is just laziness in my opinion.

I think this is an excellent idea and one I will implement.

But, that doesn't address the issue. I think it is irresponsible for the doctor to rely on the patient's memory for the dosage.

When I call my doctor to have a 'script renewed she asks which medication. She checks my file to see if I need to see her before it is refilled, while I am on the phone.

I agree, the doctor's records should be up to date as well, after all they are the ones doing the ordering. I find CinderCat's and Chopper's experiences deplorable. All anyone should have to say is the name of the medication, it's up to the MD to order the correct dosage, not the patient to tell them.

I don't expect the Doctor to know I am taking x, but I DO expect them to have it in their records for reference.

Cindercat said:
I called my doctor's office yesterday to have them fax a new script for my thyroid med to Express Scripts. They wouldn't do it until I told them what the dosage was on the bottle. I couldn't remember & didn't have the bottle with me at work. They refused to use the computer sitting in front of them to find the last script they faxed. So I checked the bottle last night. When I called back they were closed. They close at 11:30 AM on Fridays. Now I have to remember to call during the school day Monday before they close. At this rate I'll run out before they fax it. I can't believe I have to tell them the dosage! What if the pharmacy gave me the wrong dose last time? I'd never know. I thought the doctor was responsible for maintaining accurate records & prescribing meds. What would they do if I told them the wrong dosage, order what I said or what their records said? Such a STUPID policy!

I'm thinking it's a checks and balances thing, to make sure you are who you say you are, and not just trying to get high on someone else's thyroid meds. But utterly frustrating and stupid nonetheless.

I remember when DH tried to pick up my blood pressure meds for me that I had called in, they wouldn't let him have them, I can't remember why. I called the pharmacy and complained, and they've been cooperative ever since.

Last edited:
I take a bunch of meds and bring a printed list to medical appts. Leading up to this surgery, I had to repeat the list several times. Once, in the ortho Dr's office I suggested they get them online. They did with no problem. On a registration phone call for the surgery, I had to list them again. Then when I got to the hosp., they asked me to list them AGAIN! I refused so the woman said OK, I have them online.

That is just laziness in my opinion.

It is laziness, they have the records and it's not a hardship to look them up.

I like my pharmacy, they fax the MD and ask for refill orders, I don't have to do that. If the doc needs to see me I get a call from the nurse to set up an appointment, but my meds are refilled for at least another month.

PrincessFiona60 said:

Until my phone died a couple weeks ago I had all my meds listed in the notes section under my doctor's name, the pharmacy name & my parent's ICE listing in my phone contacts. This temporary phone doesn't have a notes section. I even had a "medical" grouping in my phone so they would be easy to find. I get a new phone in a couple more weeks so I'll be sure I have a way to keep a list available. I always have my phone - I don't always have my purse.

I'm thinking it's a checks and balances thing, to make sure you are who you say you are, and not just trying to get high on someone else's thyroid meds. But utterly frustrating and stupid nonetheless.

I remember when DH tried to pick up my blood pressure meds for me, they wouldn't let him have them, I can't remember why. I called the pharmacy and complained, and they've been cooperative ever since.
If it were just checks and balances, they wouldn't have given a 'script for the wrong dosage.

Dawgluver said:

There are other things in my file that they could have asked to confirm my identity. DOB, emergency contact, address, phone number, last 4 digits of SS# ... any of these I'd know easily. Anyone who found an empty prescription bottle would have dosage & address. That's why I try to remove labels from discarded bottles.

Cindercat said:
There are other things in my file that they could have asked to confirm my identity. DOB, emergency contact, address, phone number, last 4 digits of SS# ... any of these I'd know easily. Anyone who found an empty prescription bottle would have dosage & address. That's why I try to remove labels from discarded bottles.

True. Then they're just plain lazy. I too remove labels, and shred anything with private info.

Until my phone died a couple weeks ago I had all my meds listed in the notes section under my doctor's name, the pharmacy name & my parent's ICE listing in my phone contacts. This temporary phone doesn't have a notes section. I even had a "medical" grouping in my phone so they would be easy to find. I get a new phone in a couple more weeks so I'll be sure I have a way to keep a list available. I always have my phone - I don't always have my purse.

Do you drive without your driver's license? I always have my wallet, if not a purse. The small copies of meds are easy to stash in a wallet. And as you have discovered, sometimes something goes awry with a phone. Paper Rules!:)

I often stash my purse in the van when shopping and carry driver's license, credit cards, insurance cards & a $20 bill in a thin card carrier in my pocket. There isn't much of value left in my purse - brush, pens, receipts, cough drops, etc. As much other junk as there is in my van, it's easy to bury the purse out of sight. I carry my phone in a holster on my waistband.

PrincessFiona60 said:

I'm so new to this PF. So I should carry it with me? I have never had to take prescription medicine before this. I have been on medicine for my under-active thyroid for about four months now. I guess it is not really a list. Just one medicine. Would you write it on a card to carry in my wallet? I know people who take all kinds of things, and they have a big long list. I am lucky to just have the one I guess.

I'm so new to this PF. So I should carry it with me? I have never had to take prescription medicine before this. I have been on medicine for my under-active thyroid for about four months now. I guess it is not really a list. Just one medicine. Would you write it on a card to carry in my wallet? I know people who take all kinds of things, and they have a big long list. I am lucky to just have the one I guess.

Yes, I would just write it on a card, your dosage and who your doctor is. Also any allergies you have. Trim the card to fit in a credit card slot in your wallet. Then you always have it with you when you leave the house.

While thyroid medicine is not as life and death as some heart medications, it's still a good habit to get into. Some medications are important for emergency personnel to know about.

I have over nine medications, it's much easier for me to hand over a copy of my list than it is to remember my meds and dosages...And Shrek's meds and all the meds my patients take. By the end of the day, it's hard for me to remember just what it is I take:wacko:

Thanks PF. I just put it into my wallet. I guess it's a good habit to get into in case I have more meds in the future. Mom was on over 20 at a time. I hope I never get to that point. So far I have been fairly healthy.

I laugh when I renew my BP meds at the drivein med renewal. They always ask, "Is that the only prescription you need?". I tell them that one is enough.

Apparently, when you go beyond 50 years old, you're supposed to have more than one script.

Last edited:
I laugh when I renew my BP meds at the drivein med renewal. They always ask, "Is that the only prescription you need?". I tell them that one is enough.

Apparently, when you go beyond 50 years old, you're supposed to have more than one script.

Some people are just slackers.

I wish I was back in the day when I only needed one...:rolleyes:

I just found out I used up all my Flex Account already. At least it got me through most of the year.

Dawgluver said:

I'm good with one. Actually I was happy to have none, but hypothyroidism really runs in my family so it was just a matter of time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom