Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are people who build on the flood plain on the Island of Montreal. It wasn't flood plain 30 years ago. I'm all in favour of helping out the people who built there before it was flood plain. The folks who built on land they knew was going to flood, not so much.

Someone tried to use my credit card account again! This is the second time in a few months that this has happened. Now I have to get a new card again. :mad:
Thank goodness there is fraud protection, but this makes me so mad that people are so dishonest and awful. :mad::mad:

That would be so annoying Chops!

I agree though, thankfully they have the fraud protection...gee there are some low life out there :mad:

This morning, my phone rang at 4:00 a.m. As most of us know, phone calls at that hour are only bad news. I could not hear a thing--it was all garbled (sounded as if the person was talking under water), except I thought I heard a male and a female voice saying my name. I kept saying hello, I can't hear you...finally, after 7 or 8 times, I hung up. I did *69 to get the #, it wasn't my folks, it was someone's cell # that I know. I tried calling back, and the subscriber was not available. I've tried several times today. No luck. Why would s/one call at 4:00 a.m. and not try again if the connection was bad? Not to mention, my heart was racing and I couldn't get back to sleep. It will be an early night tonight.

This morning, my phone rang at 4:00 a.m. As most of us know, phone calls at that hour are only bad news. I could not hear a thing--it was all garbled (sounded as if the person was talking under water), except I thought I heard a male and a female voice saying my name. I kept saying hello, I can't hear you...finally, after 7 or 8 times, I hung up. I did *69 to get the #, it wasn't my folks, it was someone's cell # that I know. I tried calling back, and the subscriber was not available. I've tried several times today. No luck. Why would s/one call at 4:00 a.m. and not try again if the connection was bad? Not to mention, my heart was racing and I couldn't get back to sleep. It will be an early night tonight.
It might be that they didn't actually mean to call you. I call those pocket calls. I have gotten quite a few of them from different people with cell phones. I have also pocket called a few people by mistake (not at 4 am however).

Bum dialing.

I had a cell phone number for a while that was apparently really easy for drunks to dial.

It would often ring after 2am in the morning and it was always the same thing .. I need a ride .. I need bail money .. I can't find my car come get me. Then for a while there was a crazy woman who would dial my number and demand that I put her boyfriend on the line because she knew I had him !! LOL

At first I would answer and talk to them ... then I just stopped answering it if I didn't recognize the number.

I loved that number .. it was easy to remember ..but after a few months I gave it up and got one that was not so easy but did get a few laughs with some of those calls.

I have a blocked, private number and privacy feature. I don't usually get random calls. I'm also on the do-not-call list. The eerie part was that I thought I could hear my name and nothing else (well, garbled, underwater talk). I will call the landline # tomorrow and ask for their cell #. They have a Saint adopted from our rescue group, so that is my concern, s/thing happened to the big guy...but at that hour in the morning? He's tacked, so bloat with torsion is not a worry.

A few months ago I called a friend by bum dialing. She could hear voices of a conversation. The call went on for about 10 minutes. When she told me, I had a look at my recent calls list and sure 'nough, there was a call to her on my list. Colour me embarrassed. Yes, that friend is on my "favourites" list. I had just finished calling Stirling.

A few months ago I called a friend by bum dialing. She could hear voices of a conversation. The call went on for about 10 minutes. When she told me, I had a look at my recent calls list and sure 'nough, there was a call to her on my list. Colour me embarrassed. Yes, that friend is on my "favourites" list. I had just finished calling Stirling.
It took three tries to disconnect the call. I left a message on the land line about this weird call. My concern is that s/thing is horribly wrong and the call was asking me to go pick up the adopted Saint Bernard they have.

It took three tries to disconnect the call. I left a message on the land line about this weird call. My concern is that s/thing is horribly wrong and the call was asking me to go pick up the adopted Saint Bernard they have.

Well, lets hope if there was something wrong they would have called back by now... One time I checked in on a cat I re-homed; I had told the people I would gladly take her back if they had any problems. Just give me a call, and I'll come get her. They told me, "Oh, she pooped and peed all over the floor, so we had to get rid of her." WHAT?? She was the sweetest cat, and always used the box while we had her... Hopefully they found a good home for her that would figure out why she was doing something like that. I was too sick and angry to even ask what "get rid of her" meant. Ugh.

Well, lets hope if there was something wrong they would have called back by now... One time I checked in on a cat I re-homed; I had told the people I would gladly take her back if they had any problems. Just give me a call, and I'll come get her. They told me, "Oh, she pooped and peed all over the floor, so we had to get rid of her." WHAT?? She was the sweetest cat, and always used the box while we had her... Hopefully they found a good home for her that would figure out why she was doing something like that. I was too sick and angry to even ask what "get rid of her" meant. Ugh.
You'd think. It is not as if we are not in contact. I take care of this big boy when they go on holidays/when they had to go out-of-town because the gal's sister had cancer and was dieing. They take care of my reject Saint when I have to go to MN. We are in touch. I'm hoping it was a bum call. I've never heard that term before. But at that hour? I recently was in email contact with a gal that adopted a shelter dog from our group years ago...hadn't heard from her for quite awhile. She emailed me to let me know he was still alive, not doing great...right before Christmas, I got the email that he'd had a stroke and they had to say good-bye. Most of the people who have adopted dogs from us stay in touch (that is why I now have an 11-yr old retired puppy mill bitch Saint parked on my couch). I took her back when asked, even though I don't need another dog at this point in my life.

Last edited:
If my 4-year-old granddaughter also can't figure out how to shut down Windows 8 OS their new OS is not going to be very popular with users.

Absolutely, if the toddlers can't figure it out, it won't be a success. :LOL: Why is it I look for a child anytime I can't get my computer to work?

It's "bum dialing" because your bum did the dialing.

When TB taught at the local Technical Institute several years ago, often in class his back pocket would call home. :LOL: I would pick up the phone and hear the muffled sounds of him giving a lecture and had no way of telling him to hang up. It would sometimes go on for an hour! He finally started leaving his phone in his briefcase while teaching and the calls stopped. In those days there weren't a lot of unlimited minutes plans so it really cut into his phone time! :wacko:

When TB taught at the local Technical Institute several years ago, often in class his back pocket would call home. :LOL: I would pick up the phone and hear the muffled sounds of him giving a lecture and had no way of telling him to hang up. It would sometimes go on for an hour! He finally started leaving his phone in his briefcase while teaching and the calls stopped. In those days there weren't a lot of unlimited minutes plans so it really cut into his phone time! :wacko:
That's why I have a code on my phone. That time I bum dialed, I had just made a call and I guess I forgot to switch off the phone.

That's why I have a code on my phone. That time I bum dialed, I had just made a call and I guess I forgot to switch off the phone.

His current phone wouldn't do that, though mine does if I don't make sure it is locked before putting it in my purse. But this was an older model and he had our home number on speed dial "A" so it was easy to dial - a little too easy!;)

DH has one of those phones where he can talk to it and tell it who to dial. Well we were out clearing snow this morning and he kept saying to me "What?" I told him I didn't say anything. Pretty soon he asked me again. This happened 4 times. I walked up to him .. stared him in the eye and said I didn't say anything ...about that time I heard it too. I knew what it was so I told him his pants were talking to him LOL He had his phone in his pants pocket and I guess he hit some button and it kept saying "I didn't understand, please repeat". :LOL:

DH has one of those phones where he can talk to it and tell it who to dial. Well we were out clearing snow this morning and he kept saying to me "What?" I told him I didn't say anything. Pretty soon he asked me again. This happened 4 times. I walked up to him .. stared him in the eye and said I didn't say anything ...about that time I heard it too. I knew what it was so I told him his pants were talking to him LOL He had his phone in his pants pocket and I guess he hit some button and it kept saying "I didn't understand, please repeat". :LOL:
I love it.

Back
Top Bottom