Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, control+alt+delete will bring up the main menu and there you can select shut down or use the Charms Menu, move the mouse cursor top right to bring it up, then select settings, then click power, then shut down :)

Yes, control+alt+delete will bring up the main menu and there you can select shut down or use the Charms Menu, move the mouse cursor top right to bring it up, then select settings, then click power, then shut down :)

Another Aussie-ism - never heard of a Charms Menu, Kylie. :) The rest should work, although different versions of Windows sometimes name things differently.

I did a Google search on how to shut down Windows 8 and found a zillion others were wondering the same thing about their new operating system. I don't feel so dumb now. :)
And the thing is called the charms bar. First time I've heard that.

Last edited:
I did a Google search on how to shut down Windows 8 and found a zillion others were wondering the same thing about their new operating system. I don't feel so dumb now. :)
And the thing is called the charms bar. First time I've heard that.

I just read about how you have to do that .. holy cow that's a bunch of hoo-haw to go through !! Think I will stay away from that one.

doesn't charm me in the slightest. i hit the desktop black box to bypass spook house lane altogether. i hope it turns out to be true that microsoft will be allowing dissatisfied windows 8 customers to 'downgrade' back to the windows 7 system if they wish, without charge.

Last edited:
My DH cooked supper tonight. It turned out good, but I got accused of "back seat cooking". Yeah, I wanted him to take the shitake mushrooms out of the frozen mixed vegis before he steamed them. They are really awful steamed and he doesn't even like mushrooms. He couldn't figure out how to open the package of frozen vegis, so he cut off the zip lock closure. I had said it didn't need scissors. :wacko: I also had the audacity to suggest using the toaster oven, set to warm, to keep the meat warm while he made the sauce (as instructed in the recipe).

He cooked my steak to perfection - rare. He burnt his (he likes his steak well done). By the time I saw how high he had set the burner, I wasn't going to do any more "back seat cooking". Colour me childish, but, serves him right.

awww, poor stirling. taxy, he CooKED for you. awww

...and i usually agree with most everything you say and do, too, taxy.... :(
That's why I thought the vegis were fine and he thought they were overcooked.

But, come on. He's a grown man. It should be his turn to cook once in a while and I have that stupid sore thumb.

Remind me not to eat at Elephant Bar again soon. I had the Macau shrimp soup, and salmon rolls. then got out the front door and embarrased myself by upchucking all over the place, color my face red and today of all days. Yeesh did I feel foolish or what?? Was it just me or something I ate?
kades

That's why I thought the vegis were fine and he thought they were overcooked.

But, come on. He's a grown man. It should be his turn to cook once in a while and I have that stupid sore thumb.

awww, taxy. i didn't know that thumb was still causing you grief. is it any better at all?

i don't know about canadian men, but grown american men, most of them, not only don't cook/don't know how/refuse to learn, think it's a big gd deal if they take you out twice a year to a class b restaurant.

taxy, stirling cooked your steak a PERfect rare...and you... you...allowed...his...steak...to...burn...deliberately...petulantly... :(
truly sorry about your thumb, though-- hope it gets all better real soon, taxy! :)

Last edited:
awww, taxy. i didn't know that thumb was still causing you grief. is it any better at all?

i don't know about canadian men, but grown american men, most of them, not only don't cook/don't know how/refuse to learn, think it's a big gd deal if they take you out twice a year to a class b restaurant.

taxy, stirling cooked your steak a PERfect rare...and you... you...allowed...his...steak...to...burn...deliberately...petulantly... :(
truly sorry about your thumb, though-- hope it gets all better real soon, taxy! :)
The thumb is almost all better, but I baked an easy chocolate cake yesterday and that made it worse, so I am being extra careful.

It wasn't just petulance. I told him what the problem was later and he agreed that he wouldn't have wanted my interference at that point.

I think the thing that really got me was that he was grumpy all through supper. If it hadn't been for that, I would have thought that calling me a "back seat cook" was funny.

Work with me. I need some sympathy. :LOL:

A simple little chore turned into a moment of angst. Not worth an argument for sure. You did right by letting him finish on his own. One of those moments when a man refuses to ask for directions. :angel:

The thumb is almost all better, but I baked an easy chocolate cake yesterday and that made it worse, so I am being extra careful.

It wasn't just petulance. I told him what the problem was later and he agreed that he wouldn't have wanted my interference at that point.

I think the thing that really got me was that he was grumpy all through supper. If it hadn't been for that, I would have thought that calling me a "back seat cook" was funny.

Work with me. I need some sympathy. :LOL:

aw taxy, you know i'm always going to be on your side, right or wrong. :) i think you and stirling are really good for and to each other. for a guy, he seems to be truly decent, and treats you like you really matter-- that is big. in my book, taxy. sorry for the cynicism, but i've probably seen more than my share of selfish, lazy, self-indulgent guys.--- who don't cook, but rather expect to be waited on, hand and foot....

...but grown american men, most of them, not only don't cook/don't know how/refuse to learn, think it's a big gd deal if they take you out twice a year to a class b restaurant...

OUCH! Nothing like a sweeping generalization to get things going.

My ex wouldn't let me in the kitchen because '...the kitchen was her turf and she was perfectly capable...'.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom