Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A very petty grievance here -- I don't think I've ever been able to use a crazy glue type adhesive more than one time. Might as well just throw it out after that. Today I hunted the garage shelf for the "instant Krazy Glue - one drop applicator - stay fresh container - protective storage case". There it is! All right! Use the little pin to poke open the snout. Nothing. And I've only had it 3 or 4 years. :ermm::huh: :rolleyes:

A very petty grievance here -- I don't think I've ever been able to use a crazy glue type adhesive more than one time. Might as well just throw it out after that. Today I hunted the garage shelf for the "instant Krazy Glue - one drop applicator - stay fresh container - protective storage case". There it is! All right! Use the little pin to poke open the snout. Nothing. And I've only had it 3 or 4 years. :ermm::huh: :rolleyes:

We've had that happen with every single container. The other day DH bought another for something he is doing .. this one has a brush applicator like nail polish .. boy I can see how this one will end :LOL:

You got that right, Tin. Maybe it needs to be sold "by the drop". Of course, mine also is only 4 or 5 years old.

Last edited:
Hair Color. You'd think by now they would have come up with some kind of fragrance that's pleasant instead of that horrible smell ... ugh !!

We've had that happen with every single container. The other day DH bought another for something he is doing .. this one has a brush applicator like nail polish .. boy I can see how this one will end :LOL:

The newest bottle I've bought has lasted through 6-10 uses! It seems to have some sort of corkscrew thing going on inside of it. It sucks the glue back down to the bottom of the bottle as soon as you set it upright. Bf was even using it to glue rockets together, and kept forgetting it open, sitting upright on the table. Still working fine! It's "loctite" brand super glue. Red label, black top. I don't think I've ever seen a bottle last through more than a couple uses.

Since exposing super glue to oxygen is what makes it cure.. more than one or two uses and you are good.. thats why the bottles are so small...

The newest bottle I've bought has lasted through 6-10 uses! It seems to have some sort of corkscrew thing going on inside of it. It sucks the glue back down to the bottom of the bottle as soon as you set it upright. Bf was even using it to glue rockets together, and kept forgetting it open, sitting upright on the table. Still working fine! It's "loctite" brand super glue. Red label, black top. I don't think I've ever seen a bottle last through more than a couple uses.

Thanks Skittle .. I will have to look for that brand. I just checked the bottle he bought with the brush and it's already seized up after only one use.

Pet peeve that is driving me nuts: Since when is "gifted" a word?!? Hate it! What's wrong with "give" and its tenses? "I gave my niece a gift." "I was given a present." Works just fine. argh

Pet peeve that is driving me nuts: Since when is "gifted" a word?!? Hate it! What's wrong with "give" and its tenses? "I gave my niece a gift." "I was given a present." Works just fine. argh

I agree. Our language is changing. not always in ways we like.

I HATE waiting!

Yesterday I waited all day for a package which was to be delivered by Fedex.

Last evening when I checked the tracking, there was a message that they couldn't get into the building. It was time stamped 5:53 p.m.

I can understand that the security guard may have been away from his station, restroom break, unlocking an apartment for a forgetful resident, etc., but no residents around to open the door for the Fedex delivery person??????? There are 300+ apartments here! At that time of day there should have been a few around.

Now I get to wait all day again! GRRRRRRRrrrrrrr!!!!:angry:

I HATE waiting!

Yesterday I waited all day for a package which was to be delivered by Fedex.

Last evening when I checked the tracking, there was a message that they couldn't get into the building. It was time stamped 5:53 p.m.

I can understand that the security guard may have been away from his station, restroom break, unlocking an apartment for a forgetful resident, etc., but no residents around to open the door for the Fedex delivery person??????? There are 300+ apartments here! At that time of day there should have been a few around.

Now I get to wait all day again! GRRRRRRRrrrrrrr!!!!:angry:

Yep .. that's very very annoying !! I hope your got your package ok.

On a similar note is when I order something and it tells me it's coming via FedEX or UPS .. I know what time those trucks are in my neighborhood so plan my errands and appointments around those times. Then the pkg doesn't show up .. I check online and find that they re-routed it to the post office ! My mail gets delivered anytime between 9 am and 6 pm and I've come home to find a note to go pick it up myself the next day.

A little over a week ago, I reported a missing shipment of mail order Rx drugs. The USPS was no help. I called for another order. The replacement order arrived Tuesday. The original, lost order arrived yesterday. No clue where it was.

I guess I'm all set for a while with those pills.

Yes, I got my new office chair, in pieces, of course. I feel like I've wrestled a mad alligator!!

I asked the driver what had happened, and he said some of their trucks had gotten snowed in the days before, so they were backed up a day. He had worked 12 hours already so he quit for the day.

The awkward thing is that the reason given was that we were closed or I wasn't home, which wasn't the fact at all.

When I have to be out for any time a package is out for delivery, I leave a note on my door to deliver to a neighbor, after making sure they are going to be home.

Since I live on the West Bank, and the distribution center is way to the West of New Orleans proper, deliveries are usually late in the day, so I don't worry about being out, I just plan to do my shopping early anyway.

By the way, West Bank is the West bank of the Mississippi, and is East of New Orleans. Don't try to get directions around here, you could get really lost.

Last edited:
We ran down to NY today to pick up a package. While there, we did a bit of grocery shopping--less than we usually do, about $100, $42 of which was chicken legs for the dogs. What we did buy was dairy. There is a $20/person limit. We also picked up a scale for the lathe that was about $250--that we expected to pay HST on. Well, would you not know it but the border guard told us that he could charge us 300% duty on the $2 per person over the $40 dairy limit ($20 per person).. And, news to us, we are to have our grocery totals on two receipts if the groceries are not going to the same address (some groceries get dropped at the farm, some at the DH's house, some at mine...). Ironically, I used coupons for some cheese--got $8 off with the coupons and the Advantage card. Got home, added up all the dairy--$32 after the coupons...$46 before coupons. Oh--I hate border guards who can't read a receipt or add up the amounts. Luckily, we got off with just paying the HST on the scale for the lathe.

Last edited:
A little over a week ago, I reported a missing shipment of mail order Rx drugs. The USPS was no help. I called for another order. The replacement order arrived Tuesday. The original, lost order arrived yesterday. No clue where it was.

I guess I'm all set for a while with those pills.

Well, now you know they weren't stolen. That has to be nice!

We ran down to NY today to pick up a package. While there, we did a bit of grocery shopping--less than we usually do, about $100, $42 of which was chicken legs for the dogs. What we did buy was dairy. There is a $20/person limit. We also picked up a scale for the lathe that was about $250--that we expected to pay HST on. Well, would you not know it but the border guard told us that he could charge us 300% duty on the $2 per person over the $40 dairy limit ($20 per person).. And, news to us, we are to have our grocery totals on two receipts if the groceries are not going to the same address (some groceries get dropped at the farm, some at the DH's house, some at mine...). Ironically, I used coupons for some cheese--got $8 off with the coupons and the Advantage card. Got home, added up all the dairy--$32 after the coupons...$46 before coupons. Oh--I hate border guards who can't read a receipt or add up the amounts. Luckily, we got off with just paying the HST on the scale for the lathe.

Interesting about the $20 per person allowance. Must be the Ontario govt. rule not the Feds. In BC the limit is $200, but you must be out if the country for 24 hrs. There is no exemption for less than 24 hrs, but I think lots of people get thru with milk, cheese and gas because its too big a hassle to send people in for small purchases and in the case of our crossings there wouldn't be enough staff to handle all the people, since just about everyone is bringing something back.

There was a time when my late husband was still in business that the Fed Ex guy stopped at our place; I accepted urgent packages with fear and loathing, since it always meant there was trouble or extra work to do, double-time. These days, though, when the Fed Ex truck comes down the street, I just smile quietly to myself as it passes by. Guess this is an un-vent.

Yeah, now I have a six month supply.

We have a big problem in this building with mail ordered pills. The mailman is supposed to bring the package to the door and knock. If no answer, then leave it at the office. When I see them just left there right by the front door, (where anyone can just walk in and take them) I will take them up myself and knock on their door. If no answer, I will hold onto them until about six at night and try again. Just about everyone is home at that hour. They have to take a pill or two at that time.

We have one resident that has cancer. The pain meds are supposed to be signed for. I have seen the mailman scribble across the slip and just leave the pills on the shelf below the mailboxes. That package I make sure gets to the resident immediately. How can I tell they are pills? Just shake the package.

It pays to be known in your neighborhood. Our UPS man delivers to my son, me and my daughter. He knows we are all related and live just a minute or two from each other. So one of us will get the package. My daughter's mailgirl knows me since I lived in my daughter's house at one time and handled my change of address when I moved. Once she left my daughter's chemo meds with me as my daughter was at her doctor's office. I called her on her cell phone to pick them up on her way home. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom