Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the police officer has a good lawyer, it will be overturned. And no judge likes to have one of his trials overturned by a higher court. If he failed to give them instructions regarding outside sources, then he is at fault and a reason for overturning. He did not give clear and consice instructions. They should have been advised at the beginning of the trial about outside influnces such at newpapers, etc. It will look better on his files if he declares a mistrial than have a higher court do it. He will be called in front of his boss or your State Supreme Court and asked to explain what happened. That will look bad on his record and will hold him back from future promotions. :angel:

I don't think it's a ligitimate reason at all. People tend to get away with serious crimes with a slap on the wrist nowadays!

My uncle was beaten to death with a hammer in his bed a few years ago and his girlfriend was raped and left for dead. She spent over 6 months in ICU.
The 2 men responsible got less than 3 years jail time yet a lady in our town got sentenced to 12 years in prison for stealing a packet of bacon!!

is this kind of disparity in sentencing for the crimes of murder and rape, versus petty theft a common occurrence in sa, snip? how did that happen? are the laws harsher against women, or the poor?

is this kind of disparity in sentencing for the crimes of murder and rape, versus petty theft a common occurrence in sa, snip? how did that happen? are the laws harsher against women, or the poor?

It all depends on the judge and evidence gets " lost" often. Our whole justice system is corrupt!

Last edited:
I had an odd one this week. Many of you know I lost my father and godmother over the holidays. Well, Mom called last night and sounded bad (I'm in tune to her). Mom, what is wrong. Turns out my best friend in Florida died last night.

I just feel tired and worn out!

I had an odd one this week. Many of you know I lost my father and godmother over the holidays. Well, Mom called last night and sounded bad (I'm in tune to her). Mom, what is wrong. Turns out my best friend in Florida died last night.

Oh Claire! You are really being "tested" my heart goes out to you. I wish I had some words of comfort...just know that you are not alone. We are here for you. {{{{Claire}}}}

So sorry, Claire! Thinking of you!

will do, addie. i think a ruling on the question of a mistrial in this case will be made before the weekend.

a legal secretary, huh? i should have known, from your precise, factual answer to my initial question about this trial....

will do, addie. i think a ruling on the question of a mistrial in this case will be made before the weekend.

a legal secretary, huh? i should have known, from your precise, factual answer to my initial question about this trial....

Yeh. One of the worse jobs I ever had. The lawyer I worked for was found guilty of the RICOH Act. Raceteering. And all for only $1500.00. Lost his license to practice law and was sentence to 15 months in prison.

Sorry if I sounded like I showing off. :angel:

apparently, the jury had asked for further clarification on a number of points earlier from the judge, and had been referred back to resume their deliberations. it is unclear whether the jury was aware that their actions were strictly forbidden. the final decision rests with the presiding judge, and he is considering the matter.

The reason juries can't consult any materials they want is that some words have very specific legal meanings. Often, legal meanings are defined in a statute. In order to render a decision based on the law, they have to go by the legal definitions.

Sorry to hear this Claire, thinking of you xx

V, please keep us informed. As a former legal secretary I am interested in the outcome. :angel:

the conviction stands in the case of the police officer on trial for committing a fatal shooting. the judge has declined to declare a mistrial. this, despite a few of the jurors admitting to using a dictionary to look up definitions for words such as murder, willful and malicious, during their deliberations.

the defense attorney is asking for a sentence of three years instead of twenty-five, for his client.

Last edited:
the conviction stands in the case of the police officer on trial for committing a fatal shooting. the judge has declined to declare a mistrial. this, despite a few of the jurors admitting to using a dictionary to look up definitions for words such as murder, willful and malicious, during their deliberations.

the defense attorney is asking for a sentence of three years instead of twenty-five, for his client.

Considering that the judge refused to declare a mistrial, I wouldn't even be surprised at probation. :angel:

I just received a notice from the Management that some residents have formed a "Wellness Club" where they have volunteered to go door to door once or twice a week to twice a month doing a wellness check on other residents.

I went to the lady who sent this message and told her I don't want this and that we should have a sign up sheet for those who are interested in participating.

She just said, "Just tell them no thanks!"

I don't want these kinds of interruptions, especially by other residents (anyone else for that matter).

What do I have to do, keep a note on my door at all times that I don't want to be disturbed? It's very vague as to when. We are supposed to get 24 hours notice (at least) for people to come in, but it was noted that no one should ask to come in our apartments.

I just don't want people coming by without notice, or invitation. Just knocking on my door is an invasion of my privacy, unless I know about it ahead of time.

I'm hoping I will be able to tell them just once that I'm not interested so that they won't come back. Grrrr!

Last edited:
I just received a notice from the Management that some residents have formed a "Wellness Club" where they have volunteered to go door to door once or twice a week to twice a month doing a wellness check on other residents.

I went to the lady who sent this message and told her I don't want this and that we should have a sign up sheet for those who are interested in participating.

I don't want these kinds of interruptions, especially by other residents (anyone else for that matter).

What do I have to do, keep a note on my door at all times that I don't want to be disturbed? It's very vague as to when. We are supposed to get 24 hours notice (at least) for people to come in, but it was noted that no one should ask to come in our apartments.

I just don't want people coming by without notice, or invitation. Just knocking on my door is an invasion of my privacy, unless I know about it ahead of time.

I'm hoping I will be able to tell them just once that I'm not interested so that they won't come back. Grrrr!

We have a health aide in the building 12 hours a day. If I have been sick or am back from a hospital stay, they do check up on me for just a couple of days and mostly at night. But it is only once a day. Or I can call Winthrop and tell them to take me off the 'check on' list. I am fine. Winthrop no longer puts me on the list. They know I have a cold, but they also know that my son stops by here every night at 7 p.m. If they still insisted in spite of having the info about my son, then I would definitely consider it an invasion of privacy.

I'll see how it goes. If I can tell them once, I'll be happy with that. I just don't want a bunch of unscheduled visits.

I just had to vent because threats to my privacy really raise my blood pressure! I feel better now having DC friends to let me vent.

I can certainly understand your feelings about this Zhizara. I can't believe they would force this on you like that.

I also don't appreciate when people come without letting us know ahead of time.

If they don't honor your request to not bother you .. answer the door nekkid :LOL:

Just kidding about that LOL

I hope it works out for you and people respect your space as they should.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom