Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another thought occurred to me this morning, that I really don't think it's right for certain residents here to know about other resident's personal health issues.

I decide who to tell what about my health. I keep other residents at arms length. Now they want to force that distance.

It seems like this would be illegal as far as tenant's rights are concerned.

Another thought occurred to me this morning, that I really don't think it's right for certain residents here to know about other resident's personal health issues.

I decide who to tell what about my health. I keep other residents at arms length. Now they want to force that distance.

I think the wellness club is a great idea - for those who want it.

Yes, it is probably illegal for anyone to tell this "wellness club" anything about your health without your written permission. Hopefully, they will get that info from the individual residents who want to join the wellness club

Yes, it is a violation of HIPAA regulations. This should and must be in place with your management company. These folks who knock on doors need to know which doors to knock on...who told them? Or are they knocking on all doors?

Tell management that you will, absolutely scream loudly about HIPAA violations if these folks appear to know ANYTHING about your health information. Tell them once that you will not participate, if they pursue it, they are harassing you and you can report this to management AND the police.

Thanks, PF! I'll go that route if I can't get them to let me opt out. The Management lady who signed the letter just said to tell them no thanks. If I can do that once, and be left alone, fine. We'll see.

I just received a notice from the Management that some residents have formed a "Wellness Club" where they have volunteered to go door to door once or twice a week to twice a month doing a wellness check on other residents.

I went to the lady who sent this message and told her I don't want this and that we should have a sign up sheet for those who are interested in participating.

She just said, "Just tell them no thanks!"

I don't want these kinds of interruptions, especially by other residents (anyone else for that matter).

What do I have to do, keep a note on my door at all times that I don't want to be disturbed? It's very vague as to when. We are supposed to get 24 hours notice (at least) for people to come in, but it was noted that no one should ask to come in our apartments.

I just don't want people coming by without notice, or invitation. Just knocking on my door is an invasion of my privacy, unless I know about it ahead of time.

I'm hoping I will be able to tell them just once that I'm not interested so that they won't come back. Grrrr!

I have a friend that lives in a building with many elderly and disabled residents. They provide a wellness check for those that are interested.
They hang a laminated tag on the outside door knob of the apartment and the resident has to turn it once a day, by a certain time, from the odd side to the even side, depending on the date. When the volunteer hall monitor walks by they can see which folks are out of compliance and then knock on the residents door to make sure that everything is ok. I think this helps some people feel more secure. This is a voluntary process and those that are not interested do not put out the tag. It might be a thought for your building.

Last edited:
Hi Aunt Bea! Nice to see you.

I just think this was handled badly. There should have been an explanation of what a wellness check entails, as well as sign up sheets for participation, frequency or non-participation.

The letter says these residents have volunteered to come door-to-door, no more than once a week or twice a month.

I flipped out when I read that.

Thanks for giving me an idea what to expect. I think maybe it's just that the letter should have included more information, instead of giving me a panic attack.

I bet she'll have lots more interruptions Monday with upset/angry people because of her oversight.

Yes, it is a violation of HIPAA regulations. This should and must be in place with your management company. These folks who knock on doors need to know which doors to knock on...who told them? Or are they knocking on all doors?

Tell management that you will, absolutely scream loudly about HIPAA violations if these folks appear to know ANYTHING about your health information. Tell them once that you will not participate, if they pursue it, they are harassing you and you can report this to management AND the police.

I'm not sure that the building management company is a "covered entity" under HIPAA. Might want to check that, Z. If it's an assisted living facility, they might have to comply.

http://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-...cation/HIPAAGenInfo/AreYouaCoveredEntity.html

I'm not sure that the building management company is a "covered entity" under HIPAA. Might want to check that, Z. If it's an assisted living facility, they might have to comply.

Are You a Covered Entity? | Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services

My post was presuming these folks had any knowledge that they should not have and where they found out about it. HIPAA is broadly accepted in certain types of housing, I do not know if Z lives in such housing and if she did I would not say so...

My post was presuming these folks had any knowledge that they should not have and where they found out about it. HIPAA is broadly accepted in certain types of housing, I do not know if Z lives in such housing and if she did I would not say so...

It's absolutely an excellent point to bring up. I just wanted to offer a little more information.

Actually, I do live in low income housing (HUD), but after Aunt Bea's explanation, I expect that the door hanger method is more likely what they'll use. After all, I wouldn't want someone breaking into my apartment if I'm out shopping when they come by.

It will also eliminate strange residents knocking on my door. *fingers crossed*

I'm hoping it was just a poorly thought out letter, and I got upset when I felt my privacy was threatened.

I get tired of telling people they can talk to the ogre who answers the phone at my house, he's they only other being, aside from the cats, who answers the phone. They don't have to be sneaky and he IS my Power of Attorney for health care...if they call me at work, they can be as Sphinx-like as they want.

I get tired of people saying, "You are so wonderful, I couldn't do your job!" It's my job, and I do it because it is my job. You don't have to do it, and I don't expect to trade with you any time soon. You doing your job is just fine with me. If we both do our jobs, life is good!:)

I am having a bad day. Last Friday before the storm got really bad, Spike went down to the eye clinic to pick up my two pairs of glasses. They couldn't find them. They thought that maybe they were sent to Winthrop. Then they closed as 12 because of the storm. I call Winthrop, nope they weren't there. And they too closed down at 12 because of the storm. Okay. I kept my temper under control over the weekend. So I call Winthrop this morning. Nope, they had never arrived there. So I call the eye clinic. They still can't find them. They will call me back. Temper still under control. I get the phone call. They were in the mailroom. If my son can come and pick them up, they will be waiting for him. Okay, I will call you back right after I get a hold of him. "Yeah Ma, I will go there in a half hour." I try to call the clinic back. Four times. I let the phone ring for more than two minutes. No one is answering the phones. I will wait. May be they are on their coffee break. Temper is trying to let loose very hard. BP is climbing up. :wacko::wacko:

After slicing my finger this morning I want to know why they can't complete the cut through bagels and english muffins :huh:

After slicing my finger this morning I want to know why they can't complete the cut through bagels and english muffins :huh:

How else are you supposed to prepare finger food?:angel:

Sorry, I hope it wasn't too bad! And they are not in cahoots with the medical profession, honest, I don't like the sight of blood just as much as you don't...that's why we cover it with band-aids so fast.

How else are you supposed to prepare finger food?:angel:

Sorry, I hope it wasn't too bad! And they are not in cahoots with the medical profession, honest, I don't like the sight of blood just as much as you don't...that's why we cover it with band-aids so fast.

I know you wil think I am crazy, but I love the smell of fresh blood. When I worked at Revere Memorial, if there were no babies in the nursery, I used to go in the OR as the dirty nurse. It was my job to keep count of the sponges. They had a large rack with clips on it and I would have to hang up the used and bloody sponges. My favorite job. I could hang out in an OR all day watching surgery. :angel:

I am sitting here in the Koffee Klatch House trying to calm down from yesterday. The urge to kill is so strong. Buttons is sitting in my lap while I brush her and she is purring. We are both sitting next to the fireplace while the embers burn slowly.

Yesterday, after all the work maintenance did in the building and all that I and my son Spike did in my apartment, the HUD Inspector calls and says he is not feeling well, so he will have to schedule another day or month. Kitties have a way of calming a person down. Thank you Buttons. :angel:

I am sitting here in the Koffee Klatch House trying to calm down from yesterday. The urge to kill is so strong. Buttons is sitting in my lap while I brush her and she is purring. We are both sitting next to the fireplace while the embers burn slowly.

Yesterday, after all the work maintenance did in the building and all that I and my son Spike did in my apartment, the HUD Inspector calls and says he is not feeling well, so he will have to schedule another day or month. Kitties have a way of calming a person down. Thank you Buttons. :angel:

well, addie, that's just hud, being a dud again....(my sympathies, though):)
a real live fire burning in the fireplace, and a purring kitty on your lap can have tremendous calming influences on a troubled spirit...

...except that with cats, at least the cats i've had in my life, are equally as capable and apt to arouse those homicidal furies in me, as they are to soothe my agitated moods.

i'm happy to see you here, tending to buttons, addie. she was definitely acting miffed and out of sorts yesterday, when nobody was petting or brushing her. one of the ladies, i don't know here name offhand, doesn't care for cats, and she had the nerve to brush buttons off of her lap! oh my! can you imagine?! you should have seen the evil eye buttons gave that lady--and talk about attitude! button's tail was jerking for a long time, with justified feline anger and offense! i couldn't help but smile....:)

i did take her aside then, and gently promised her that aunt addie would come to visit, and make up for all the hurt and neglect she was feeling. still, she pouted--holds a grudge that buttons does....:)

you two look the picture of contentment, in that rocking chair by the fire, addie. it's a perfect fit--you all being so close to the ground an' all....:)

Last edited:
well, addie, that's just hud, being a dud again....(my sympathies, though):)
a real live fire burning in the fireplace, and a purring kitty on your lap can have tremendous calming influences on a troubled spirit...

...except that with cats, at least the cats i've had in my life, are equally as capable and apt to arouse those homicidal furies in me, as they are to soothe my agitated moods.

i'm happy to see you here, tending to buttons, addie. she was definitely acting miffed and out of sorts yesterday, when nobody was petting or brushing her. one of the ladies, i don't know here name offhand, doesn't care for cats, and she had the nerve to brush buttons off of her lap! oh my! can you imagine?! you should have seen the evil eye buttons gave that lady--and talk about attitude! button's tail was jerking for a long time, with justified feline anger and offense! i couldn't help but smile....:)

i did take her aside then, and gently promised her that aunt addie would come to visit, and make up for all the hurt and neglect she was feeling. still, she pouted--holds a grudge that buttons does....:)

you two look the picture of contentment, in that rocking chair by the fire, addie. it's a perfect fit--you all being so close to the ground an' all....:)

:ROFLMAO: I can almost pat her standing up.

I can't imagine anyone not loving her. She is such a good kitty. Buttons did calm me down.

The good side is that I got a lot of needed excercise in cleaning. And my apartment looks so nice and shiny. The bathroom got cleaned from the ceiling down to the new floor. The repairs that HUD told management to do four years ago, finally got done. Since they knew I was planning on being here for this inspection, and knowing that I wouldn't hesitate to tell HUD the truth if they asked any questions, made management sit up and take notice this time. I had plenty of notice and was able to move any appointments around to make sure I would be here this time. The last three inspections I always had an appointment.

Every cat I have had in my home has always been a pet of the kids. I just made sure it got fed and watered. The only real house cat I have ever had in my home belonged to my granddaughter. Tasha had been declawed and I was too afraid to let her outside at all. I bought her a window seat so she could sit in the sun all day. She loved it there. There was a porch roof right outside the window where she loved to rest. Sometimes in the summer I would open the screen and she would lie out there until it got too hot. She loved having the breeze blowing over her. That cat got more loving than I did. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom