Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
please don't spoil the satisfying, good feelings you deserve to be savoring, skittles, having saved yourself about $100 in the grocery store with your smart coupon shopping! your lengthy, somewhat apologetic posts indicate a self-punishing conscience over what-- a cranky, unprofessional cashier who gave you poor service? so totally not your problem! (i envy your successful use of coupons--not easy, i've tried!) :)

Ditto here. I just don't have the patience to keep track of the sales vs. the coupons and tryng to match them up. I am happy with just buying what is on sale. As long as I look at the flyers the day before I go shopping, I am happy. I like to shop as if I were a rich lady of leisure. :wacko::wacko: :angel:

I'm tired of pain from osteoarthritis and plantar fasciitis! I know I have to lose weight, but it is so hard when it hurts to walk and I know I need to exercise! :mad:

Those coupons are money in your pocket and it's the store employees' job to handle them for you. You should feel no guilt for using them. The cashier's attitude was not caused by you. Next time complain to the manager.

Abso-friggin-lutely !!! You - and evryone else - have the right to use those .. and the employee who treated you that way needs to be reported .. who knows how many others she has done this to. You are far more patient than I would have been ... hold your head high and keep on saving .. good job on that !

I'm tired of pain from osteoarthritis and plantar fasciitis! I know I have to lose weight, but it is so hard when it hurts to walk and I know I need to exercise! :mad:

:( sorry you have to deal with all of that. Is there any kind of cushioning support that will help with the feet? If only you could get a little comfortable then you could do short walks.

Have you or can you find a water exercise class? It takes the weight off from your joints and feet. After my hip fracture, it was a life saver. I'm about ready to move on to something more aerobically challenging, but the pool exercise classes were a life-saver when it came to regaining flexibility and range of motion. Make sure the pool is warm enough.

:( Chopper, can you try a recumbent bike/rowing machine? My bone doc recommended that I use one after I broke my ankle a few years ago. I use it every day when the weather's nasty, and with TV or music, it's pretty painless to get in 30 minutes or so.

Oh, I just saw Claire's water class rec, that would be a great idea too!

Last edited:

Chopper have you tried inserts for your shoes?

My doctor had me get fitted for some superfeet inserts and they helped a great deal.

The inserts and walking for exercise has made the problem much easier to deal with.

Now I only have to furniturewalk* three or four times a year, I am quite a sight to behold! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

*A furniture-walker is one of those folks who walks around the house hanging onto the furniture

I have only done "furniture walk" this whole winter. My definition is I bump into the furniture since it won't move out of the way, lol. It has been too cold for too many months and Icy sidewalks, why do people think they need not shovel when we only get a little snow at a time. It gets compacted and then treachorous. I was at a big shopping mall the other day, not on purpose. I can tell my hip joints is creaky. Need to get the body parts moving again.

:( sorry you have to deal with all of that. Is there any kind of cushioning support that will help with the feet? If only you could get a little comfortable then you could do short walks.

I have the same problem. The one thing I miss the most are the long walks I used to take on a nice day. But with the pain in my hip and spine, walking is out of the question. And then there is the getting out of breath when I walk even too fast and rush when doing a chore right in my own home. I wanted to join the swimming at the local pool. But Winthrop refused to sign off on it and provide transportation. Fifteen, twenty years ago, I could have walked there. Even in cold weather. I would have bundled up and enjoyed the brisk air. Short of wrapping myself up in an Army blanket, I could never make it now. :angel:

I want all computers that the TV weatherfolks have, taken away. Three times in one broadcast they have been given extensive air time. I know we have a storm coming. And that is all I need to know. What is happening out in the middle of the Atlantic, I just don't care. It is not coming inshore. It is not going to affect our weather. But just tell me when to expect the storm and how much snow. That way I can plan my days before it arrives. If I am really desperate to know about the weather, I will go to the Farmers Almanac. :wacko: :angel:

I check for my local weather on the internet. I gave up watching televised weather because all the weather people stand right in front of what I want to see!

This is the weather I keep an eye on. I especially like to see which way the wind is blowing so I can either open my windows or not. It's been pretty accurate. You'd have to change it to your zip code for your weather:

Hourly Weather Forecast for 70114 - weather.com

One of the weather bureau's national centers is located right here at Logan Airport. Just a hop, skip and jump from my home. And they are right on the money all the time. So when they say local, they are talking about my neighborhood directly. Their maps always show a slight less snowfall because I am only yards away from the Atlantic. And that has a lot to do with our weather. Downtown Boston gets so much more snow than we do. The warmth of the Gulf Stream affects my neighborhood. Not so much as downtown Boston which is located more inland and farther into Boston Harbor. So when I know a storm is coming, I look to them. Or the seagulls flying overhead. They always fly inland when a storm is approaching. Makes for a messy neighborhood. :angel:

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the support. I will need to go to REI and get the inserts for my shoes. I got some cheaper ones at Walgreens yesterday, and they helped somewhat. I love riding my bike, but I don't have a stationary bike to ride. The water exercise is a great idea, but I'm not sure where to go. I will have to look into it. Today's petty vent is that I slipped on the ice this morning and fell. At first all that hurt was my hands, but now I am starting to have more pain in other parts of my body. I will take more Aleve before going to bed tonight and see what the morning brings. Sorry to be so down, but pain does that to me. :ermm:

My slip and fall on ice a few years ago resulted in a broken wrist and tailbone. Don't hesitate to get it checked out.

I have Forecastfox on my desktop...I can just glance down at it.

I have what they call a 'Gadget' on my desktop. It is tied directly to the Weather Bureau at Logan Airport. Everytime the WB updates the gadget goes blank. The first time it ever did that, I thought my computer was crashing. It shows what it is doing outside at that very moment and the temp. It also give a pictorial view of the next three days with the same info. :angel:

My slip and fall on ice a few years ago resulted in a broken wrist and tailbone. Don't hesitate to get it checked out.

Thanks Andy. I think I am ok, but just sore. I did file a report at work in case anything becomes of it later. ;) I fell I n the parking lot of one of the schools. A co-worker had just said that it was really slick and I was being careful, and still went right down! Boy did I feel stupid!

Ditto here. You can't always tell when you have a hairline fracture. You don't want to cause more damage. Wouldn't you rather take an hour or two out of your day to get it checked, than months of healing from an aggravated injury? Come tomorrow, don't mask the pain too much or you may not recognize that something is really wrong. :angel:

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the support. I will need to go to REI and get the inserts for my shoes. I got some cheaper ones at Walgreens yesterday, and they helped somewhat. I love riding my bike, but I don't have a stationary bike to ride. The water exercise is a great idea, but I'm not sure where to go. I will have to look into it. Today's petty vent is that I slipped on the ice this morning and fell. At first all that hurt was my hands, but now I am starting to have more pain in other parts of my body. I will take more Aleve before going to bed tonight and see what the morning brings. Sorry to be so down, but pain does that to me. :ermm:

Sorry you fell, ouch! Take it easy. There should be some nice Gyms in your area I just found 20 of them and didn't look at anymore pages. I just typed in your town and pools gyms.

Gah! Chopper, you might want to get an x-ray. I've had broken bones in my wrist, foot, ankle, when the doc had said "no way" on first inspection, and lo and behold, there was a fracture. Only way to find out for sure is an x-ray.

Wowza, our DC crew is sure getting up there on the injuries! Please be careful on the ice!

Back
Top Bottom