Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The problem here is, he got the credit card on my credit rating, everything we have except this credit card we are joints owners of, i.e. the car, the checking account, the bills. I have been paying for everything on my own since he retired 5 years ago. So, you are saying I should go get my own credit card?
YES!

Maybe you could talk to a Supervisor and find out what you need to do to get his account to be a joint account.

My Mom added me to her charge account, and arranged for me to have my own card on the same account with my name on it.
I got a secondary AmEX card for my mom years ago. The bill comes to me, but she can use it up to $500 (or is it $1000)? I'd have to check. Maybe get a second card in your name linked to the same account? But, you need to establish your own credit rating, so yes, you need your own cc, PF.

I'm pretty sure that here in Canada those banking rules vary by province.

I know that, in Quebec, they used to freeze safety deposit boxes immediately they were aware of the death of any of the owners of the box, even if it was joint. Used to cause a lot of trouble when people had put life insurance policies in the box. They stopped doing that a number of years ago.

I am sure Canada law differs from the U.S. My sister had a safe deposit box. She put me down as co-owner and gave me a key. When she died I was able to go into the bank on the day of her death and open the box and take out the money she had stashed in there. Her daughter was ripping mad. I knew about the box and she didn't. She insinuated that I kept some of the cash and didn't hand over all of it to her. I haven't spoken to her since the funeral. For all she knew that could have been my money and not her mother's. Her bank account was frozen. All she received each month was her SS check. When she received it each month, she took out all but $5 and placed most of it in the box. She knew about the frozen accounts on death. When she needed cash, she would go into the bank and take some cash out of her box. To pay her bills, she would give me the cash, I would deposit it in my own account and write out the checks for her.

If her kids knew about that box, I honestly believe her life would have been in danger. There was a lot of skullduggery going on between the two of us that her kids had no hint of. And still don't. By the time of her death, there was over $10,000.00 in that box. A little this month, a little the next month. All gift monies went into the box. Over the years it added up. It paid for her funeral. :angel:

I got a secondary AmEX card for my mom years ago. The bill comes to me, but she can use it up to $500 (or is it $1000)? I'd have to check. Maybe get a second card in your name linked to the same account? But, you need to establish your own credit rating, so yes, you need your own cc, PF.

She's right PF. You each need to have your own credit card with your spouse as the secondary card holder. That way each of you build your own credit rating. :angel:

I am sure Canada law differs from the U.S. My sister had a safe deposit box. She put me down as co-owner and gave me a key. When she died I was able to go into the bank on the day of her death and open the box and take out the money she had stashed in there. Her daughter was ripping mad. I knew about the box and she didn't. She insinuated that I kept some of the cash and didn't hand over all of it to her. I haven't spoken to her since the funeral. For all she knew that could have been my money and not her mother's. Her bank account was frozen. All she received each month was her SS check. When she received it each month, she took out all but $5 and placed most of it in the box. She knew about the frozen accounts on death. When she needed cash, she would go into the bank and take some cash out of her box. To pay her bills, she would give me the cash, I would deposit it in my own account and write out the checks for her.

If her kids knew about that box, I honestly believe her life would have been in danger. There was a lot of skullduggery going on between the two of us that her kids had no hint of. And still don't. By the time of her death, there was over $10,000.00 in that box. A little this month, a little the next month. All gift monies went into the box. Over the years it added up. It paid for her funeral. :angel:
My dad put my brother and I on their safe deposit box for this reason. We can access it if s/thing happens to both of them.

I'm joint user and POA on all Mom's accounts EXCEPT for her safety deposit box. This meant a very large headache and a late lunch date when I went to clear it and close it out last week. Sheesh. I was patient, because honestly, I'd rather they were TOO careful with Mom's stuff than not careful enough.

I'm not sure I'd have been happy with things getting slammed shut upon Dad's death. That would have made for some significant hassles for us as executors and trying to settle all the affairs. Glad that the laws here seem to be a little different than they are for you all.

No more vents for me today, I decided the most energetic thing I'm doing today is a quick grocery shop.

She's right PF. You each need to have your own credit card with your spouse as the secondary card holder. That way each of you build your own credit rating. :angel:

I have my own credit rating, I just don't have a credit card. I can walk into any dealership and pick out a new car, I could get myself a mortgage on a house if I wanted one.

I have my own credit rating, I just don't have a credit card. I can walk into any dealership and pick out a new car, I could get myself a mortgage on a house if I wanted one.
I still think it's a good idea to have your own credit card. I have several and Stirling has two. We are both on all of them. Sometimes credit cards get rejected for stupid reasons, then it's handy to have another one.

Before I bought a car, I used to rent cars from Enterprise often. Well, they process their cards through their US head office. Sometimes one of my cards would get rejected because I had used it that day in Canada, so it couldn't possibly be me, using it in the US. Other times, I would get a card rejected later the day I had used it at Enterprise, 'cause I couldn't possibly be in Quebec if I had used the card in St. Louis earlier that day. :wacko:

One of the good laws in this country is if you have an life insurance policy and designate a beneficiary, then your estate does not need to go through probate. That beneficiary is considered by law your designated executor. They can open that deposit box without a court order. :angel:

One of the good laws in this country is if you have an life insurance policy and designate a beneficiary, then your estate does not need to go through probate. That beneficiary is considered by law your designated executor. They can open that deposit box without a court order. :angel:

Addie, probate laws vary by state. Also, a life insurance policy is separate from the estate, so even if a beneficiary receives the life insurance proceeds, the rest of the estate may need to go through probate. If there is a will designating an executor, that will not be superceded by the life insurance beneficiary.

Had the worst pain ever last night. Felt like a hot poker shot through my right lower back. Feeling better and atleast I know what the cause was. I passed a huge kidney stone. It still hurts but less. Probably have some kidney infection too.
Just glad it's not something more serious. Big relief!!!!!

I've passed stones before but much smaller ones, the pain was much worse this time.

Last edited:
Had the worst pain ever last night. Felt like a hot poker shot through my right lower back. Feeling better and atleast I know what the cause was. I passed a huge kidney stone. It still hurts but less. Probably have some kidney infection too.
Just glad it's not something more serious. Big relief!!!!!

I've passed stones before but much smaller ones, the pain was much worse this time.

Now there is one thing I don't have wrong with me. My kidneys are nice and healthy. Good enough for transplant. :angel:

Now there is one thing I don't have wrong with me. My kidneys are nice and healthy. Good enough for transplant. :angel:

I have a long list of messed up insides :rolleyes:
My liver is perfect though!
They say God gives you problems you can handle, so I must be pretty bad a$$ :LOL:
I'm much better today :)
I'm not complaining, it could have been worse!

I'm joint user and POA on all Mom's accounts EXCEPT for her safety deposit box. This meant a very large headache and a late lunch date when I went to clear it and close it out last week. Sheesh. I was patient, because honestly, I'd rather they were TOO careful with Mom's stuff than not careful enough.

I'm not sure I'd have been happy with things getting slammed shut upon Dad's death. That would have made for some significant hassles for us as executors and trying to settle all the affairs. Glad that the laws here seem to be a little different than they are for you all.

No more vents for me today, I decided the most energetic thing I'm doing today is a quick grocery shop.
When a friend's dad died, her mom was the one who was declared dead. I can't remember how this happened. Anyway, she didn't know she was legally "dead" until she went to use her credit card to pay for her newspaper subscription and it was declined because the cardholder was deceased. Needless to say, she was not. It took six months to fix that. She's still alive today 10 years later.

CWS4322 said:
When a friend's dad died, her mom was the one who was declared dead. I can't remember how this happened. Anyway, she didn't know she was legally "dead" until she went to use her credit card to pay for her newspaper subscription and it was declined because the cardholder was deceased. Needless to say, she was not. It took six months to fix that. She's still alive today 10 years later.

Your tax dollars at work...Eeek!

My drivers license was up for renewal, so I went to the local DMV. OMG. Worst. Picture. Ever. The temporary is in black and white, I shudder to see the color one they send me. I'm gonna draw on a paper bag, or put a tiny flip up sticky note on it. Hideous.

Can't believe the woman who took it didn't show it to me and ask if I wanted a do-over. And I'm stuck with it for 5 years! Gah!

My drivers license was up for renewal, so I went to the local DMV. OMG. Worst. Picture. Ever. The temporary is in black and white, I shudder to see the color one they send me. I'm gonna draw on a paper bag, or put a tiny flip up sticky note on it. Hideous.

Can't believe the woman who took it didn't show it to me and ask if I wanted a do-over. And I'm stuck with it for 5 years! Gah!
I once had the world's worst photo taken at Costco. I was looking at the black and white version of the photo. Then I found out that my Costco AMEX was going to use the same picture! :ohmy:

I got the AMEX card and the pic was great in colour. Phew. Maybe you will luck out too.

I once had the world's worst photo taken at Costco. I was looking at the black and white version of the photo. Then I found out that my Costco AMEX was going to use the same picture! :ohmy:

I got the AMEX card and the pic was great in colour. Phew. Maybe you will luck out too.

Sure hope so. I see myself everyday in the mirror, and I've never looked this scary, AFAIK. Thanks, TL!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm due for a new drivers license thank goodness!!! My last one looks bloody aweful. I was underweight and had just shaved my head in support of my sister. Also had my glasses on. Makes me look like Eustace from Courage the cowardly dog :LOL:
Last time I got pulled over the traffic officer said the person in the picture can't be me because it's an old man and I'm a young woman. I said some very colourful words that day :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom