Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lemon juice is a kidney stone's enemy...3 tablespoons of lemon juice a day helps, make it into lemonade.

Good to know, I'll tell DH. Will any citrus work, like lime juice?

Lime works, too...more acidic fruits. Shrek and my Dad have not had a reoccurrance of kidney stones since they started having a glass of strong lemonade/limeade every day.

Ticks, good gravy I hate them. This season seems particularily bad. I love to garden, and we have bunches of ticks. Showering doesn't make them go away. Pulled one off Beagle today, it hadn't fed yet. She's always Frontlined. I've (meaning school nurse and DH) pulled off 2 so far from me, one from the back of my neck and one from my side. I couldn't see them, just felt them, and they hurt like crazy. I have a sizeable hole in my side from a teensy tick. The neck hole seems to have healed OK. I'm saving the ticks just in case.

A friend who farms had one removed from her back, and had a fever and headaches. She got a course of antibiotics which helped. It was funny at the last all-staff meeting, we both kept running our fingers through our hair, and discovered we were both checking for ticks!

I'm thinking of getting a human tick collar.

Ticks, good gravy I hate them. This season seems particularily bad. I love to garden, and we have bunches of ticks. Showering doesn't make them go away. Pulled one off Beagle today, it hadn't fed yet. She's always Frontlined. I've (meaning school nurse and DH) pulled off 2 so far from me, one from the back of my neck and one from my side. I couldn't see them, just felt them, and they hurt like crazy. I have a sizeable hole in my side from a teensy tick. The neck hole seems to have healed OK. I'm saving the ticks just in case.

A friend who farms had one removed from her back, and had a fever and headaches. She got a course of antibiotics which helped. It was funny at the last all-staff meeting, we both kept running our fingers through our hair, and discovered we were both checking for ticks!

I'm thinking of getting a human tick collar.
Guinea hens are supposed to be helpful for tick control.
Unfortunately zoning in my shi-shi area is no longer conducive to keeping guinea hens.
Babesiosis, lyme disease, and lone star fever can be quite debilitating.
If you detect a tick before it has burrowed too deeply, swabbing the beast with 70% ethyl alcohol will often prompt it to back out (let go).
It pays to have a good pair of tweezers, a razor sharp Texas toothpick, and a partner with good eyesight available to extract those critters who often embed themselves in very inconvenient places. After removal, I routinely swab the attack area with Campho Phenique; and often, some 6 hours later, apply a band-aid moistened with tea tree oil.
It's been a particularly bad tick season this year.

Last edited:
So my kidney stone decided to move yesterday, ok, I understand it's a kidney stone, it is the second one I am having, the last one was a year ago, about the same time. Ok, of course I can complain that it hurts, but really what I want to complain is the fact that both times it happened on/during Sabbath. How fair is it? Day of rest, when I am not supposed to drive, watch tv, etc. of course the laws of sabbath are very strict and the same that says that you cannot do many things also says that life is too previous and must be protected, so I went to hospital, where nurse kept offering me to put on tv. Ok, lady, I came here, doesn't mean I should watch tv. Ok, I decided, I am complaining about pain too, it hurts, boys and girls.

Hope you start to feel better as soon as possible Charlie

Guinea hens are supposed to be helpful for tick control.
Unfortunately zoning in my shi-shi area is no longer conducive to keeping guinea hens.
Babesiosis, lyme disease, and lone star fever can be quite debilitating.
If you detect a tick before it has burrowed too deeply, swabbing the beast with 70% ethyl alcohol will often prompt it to back out (let go).
It pays to have a good pair of tweezers, a razor sharp Texas toothpick, and a partner with good eyesight available to extract those critters who often embed themselves in very inconvenient places. After removal, I routinely swab the attack area with Campho Phenique; and often, some 6 hours later, apply a band-aid moistened with tea tree oil.
It's been a particularly bad tick season this year.

Thanks Bill! We now have a dedicated tick tweezer. Used to be we would use a freshly blown out match or a lit cigarette to make the little beasties back out, not recommended anymore.

We live in a heavily wooded area, and with all the coyotes and foxes, guinea hens wouldn't stand a chance, though Beagle would no doubt love a few.

My youngest son Poo was three years years old. I was getting him ready for bed. I was drying him off and noticed a black spot on his testicle. It looked like a scab. I took a closer look at it and saw some legs moving. I took him to the ER immediately, considering the location.

The kept pouring alcohol on it until it backed out on its own. They put it in a corked tube. The next day I had folks from the Washing State Department of Health, the City of Tacoma Department of Health and from the Federal Health folks in Washington D.C. knocking at my door. It seems that the tick was the kind that will give you Rocky Mountain Fever.

Now Washington State doesn't have ticks. They don't come across the Columbia River. One of my tenants who were Army folks had gone home to Oregon for the weekend. When they came home they brought the tick with them in their luggage. Poo was there in their apartment when they were unpacking. They all informed me considering Poo's size and age, had the tick make it all the way into him, it would have killed him. Ticks are not something to fool around with. Lesson learned. :angel:

Charlie, my heart goes out to you. Kidnew stones are painful for a woman to pass, even more so for a man. Take care and drink that lemon/limeade. :angel: Sounds like you could use one. :angel:

...I decided, I am complaining about pain too, it hurts, boys and girls.

Ouch Charlie! Hope you feel less pain soon. And even if the lemon juice thing doesn't work do it, it will build character. ;)

Ticks, good gravy I hate them....I'm thinking of getting a human tick collar.

I'm right there with you. :mad: They weren't an issue in OH, but here in MA I'm paranoid every time I work outside. Nightly tick checks are annoying, but I'm vigilant ever since Himself went through a bout of Lyme disease. Thankfully he was caught early, treated successfully, and hasn't had any problems since.

The first person to blend a safe "Frontline" or "Advantage" prevention for humans will be a very rich person! Or at least highly appreciated by those of us who hate the little buggers.

Hope you feel better soon, Charlie. My understanding is that there are very few things more painful than a kidney stone, and there doesn't seem to be a lot doctors can do for them.

Some years ago my late husband got rid of a stone this way: "Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) -- a common treatment for kidney stones that uses sound waves to break up simple stones." Although it saved him a trip to the hospital, he said it was no walk in the park. He never did describe the treatment to me, but the stone was gone. It must have been the early stage of stone formation.

Hope you're feeling better, Charlie.

Thank you everybody. I actually felt fine this. Morning land went to work, but in the middle of the road pain came back and hit me so hate, I had to turn around and go back home. I took some pain killers and slept for a while, I think I will go try to drink some lemon juice.

Some years ago my late husband got rid of a stone this way: "Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) -- a common treatment for kidney stones that uses sound waves to break up simple stones." Although it saved him a trip to the hospital, he said it was no walk in the park. He never did describe the treatment to me, but the stone was gone. It must have been the early stage of stone formation.

Hope you're feeling better, Charlie.

They do that here at Mass. General. It has been very successful. They are presently experimenting with gall stones. I hope that it works for that also before I have my next gall bladder attack. :angel:

:wacko::wacko:I was getting some paper work in order. I ran out of staples. So I look in the cabinet where I have kept them for years. Of course with all the mess in there I couldn't find them. I thought they were on the bottom shelf. So I get down on the floor and nope. Not there. I pulled everything out and rearranged the bottom shelf. I have a bunch of stuff that I have to put aside for Spike. Trying to get up. Which is quite a job in itself. I am too old to being doing these things. I thought I was going to have to crawl on my hand and knees to get my phone and call for help. But I managed to get up. I used the cabinet to lean on hoping that the printer is heavy enough to keep it from tipping over. I still haven't found the staples. So back down on the floor I go. I find them, but now I have to put everything back in. Done. The cabinet is nice and orderly. Time to get up again. Didn't I learn the last time? I just sat there looking around for the most sturdy piece of furniture to lean on. I was afraid to press my luck with the cabinet again. I crawl over to my reading chair. Used the stool to lean on. Yea! I made it. But at what cost. I had to take a second pain pill today. I hate taking them. Lesson learned? I doubt it very much. :angel:

Thank you everybody. I actually felt fine this. Morning land went to work, but in the middle of the road pain came back and hit me so hate, I had to turn around and go back home. I took some pain killers and slept for a while, I think I will go try to drink some lemon juice.

You don't have to drink straight lemon juice, Charlie! Make it into lemonade with sweetener and water. I drink an apple cider vinegar drink each day made with honey and water, no worries about kidney stones here, either. You are just trying to acidify your urine so you don't develop new stones and can help reduce old stones.

:wacko::wacko:I was getting some paper work in order. I ran out of staples. So I look in the cabinet where I have kept them for years. Of course with all the mess in there I couldn't find them. I thought they were on the bottom shelf. So I get down on the floor and nope. Not there. I pulled everything out and rearranged the bottom shelf. I have a bunch of stuff that I have to put aside for Spike. Trying to get up. Which is quite a job in itself. I am too old to being doing these things. I thought I was going to have to crawl on my hand and knees to get my phone and call for help. But I managed to get up. I used the cabinet to lean on hoping that the printer is heavy enough to keep it from tipping over. I still haven't found the staples. So back down on the floor I go. I find them, but now I have to put everything back in. Done. The cabinet is nice and orderly. Time to get up again. Didn't I learn the last time? I just sat there looking around for the most sturdy piece of furniture to lean on. I was afraid to press my luck with the cabinet again. I crawl over to my reading chair. Used the stool to lean on. Yea! I made it. But at what cost. I had to take a second pain pill today. I hate taking them. Lesson learned? I doubt it very much. :angel:

Once I'm on the floor, I make sure there is nothing else that needs to get done before I get up. THEN I start looking for something to help me up...my knees just will not lift me anymore.

You don't have to drink straight lemon juice, Charlie! Make it into lemonade with sweetener and water. I drink an apple cider vinegar drink each day made with honey and water, no worries about kidney stones here, either. You are just trying to acidify your urine so you don't develop new stones and can help reduce old stones.

Ah, so any citrus or vinegar will work, how about cranberry or pomegranite juice?

Ah, so any citrus or vinegar will work, how about cranberry or pomegranite juice?

Citrus and vinegar are more acidic than cranberry and pom, they should be used if you are working on stones you already have. Cran and pom are fine for prevention.

Back
Top Bottom