Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No big secret. Went AWOL when life got crazy. It was easier to quit than try and limit. When you aren't around for about 1000 days it makes your post-per-day average tiny. Now if you could break out just the posts since I came back in April-ish you could say I'm making up for lost time! :LOL:

No big secret. Went AWOL when life got crazy. It was easier to quit than try and limit. When you aren't around for about 1000 days it makes your post-per-day average tiny. Now if you could break out just the posts since I came back in April-ish you could say I'm making up for lost time! :LOL:

that you are, goddess!:) we are just glad you made it back here alright, I follow your posts with interest, and think of you when I am adding celery salt and seed to your mil's spaghetti sauce....:)

Pour/sprinkle some of me in the ocean off a reef in Cozumel. Maybe some in the Mississippi. I'll need to be divided.

My husband passed away on his beloved fishing dock, on the canal behind the house. Having visions of his cremains floating gracefully down the canal, onto the river, and out to the Gulf, I dispensed his ashes from the container...he sank like a rock out of sight. Period. End of lovely vision. I do still have a small remembrance container here on a shelf.

That reminds me of a scene in a movie--the man's friends have taken him to the seashore he loved, tossed him into the air, only to have him blow back into their faces with the prevailing wind.

Will have to speak to the kids today about my disposal; they hate even hints about it.

My husband passed away on his beloved fishing dock, on the canal behind the house. Having visions of his cremains floating gracefully down the canal, onto the river, and out to the Gulf, I dispensed his ashes from the container...he sank like a rock out of sight. Period. End of lovely vision. I do still have a small remembrance container here on a shelf.

That reminds me of a scene in a movie--the man's friends have taken him to the seashore he loved, tossed him into the air, only to have him blow back into their faces with the prevailing wind.

:LOL: Sad, but funny, TL. I imagine some of Hubby has made it to the Gulf by now.

I recall seeing that scene too, what was the movie?

This talk of cremation is interesting.

I plan on being cremated. I am still undecided about becoming an organ/tissue donor. I need to find out more about that.

I want to prepay my funeral expenses. How soon is too soon? Maybe it will be my gift to me for my 60th birthday!

I have an old friend who says he wants to be cremated and have his buddies sprinkle his ashes in the red light district of his city. His only fear is that his wife will come along and sweep him up to take him back home one last time! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Shrek and I are 15 years apart, but we have the same spot in mind for our cremains, a place we both loved as kids. It's high up in the mountains in Wyoming.

This talk of cremation is interesting.

I plan on being cremated. I am still undecided about becoming an organ/tissue donor. I need to find out more about that.

I want to prepay my funeral expenses. How soon is too soon? Maybe it will be my gift to me for my 60th birthday!

I have an old friend who says he wants to be cremated and have his buddies sprinkle his ashes in the red light district of his city. His only fear is that his wife will come along and sweep him up to take him back home one last time! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

:LOL:

Organ/tissue donorship is easy. I have it on my driver's license. Figured once I'm gone, I won't need my stuff anymore, if someone else can use it, all the better. The ultimate recycling. Then they just burn up whatever's left over.

Prepaying is not a bad idea.

...I want to prepay my funeral expenses. How soon is too soon? Maybe it will be my gift to me for my 60th birthday!...

If inflation hits the funeral industry like everything else I would guess sooner is better. When my Aunt was in a nursing home, getting low in her own funds and getting ready to apply for Medicaid, the social services director told me to go to the family's funeral director and make arrangements so those funds were gone from her personal account. It seemed creepy but I did as instructed. The newly-minted lawyer DIL was handling advanced plannings for the family at the time, and we had a blast! When there is no pressure it seems like any other shopping, I suppose, unless you have a real aversion to the idea of dying. You're born - you die. If you're lucky there is a big span between those two dates.

Arghh! My microwave died this morning. We really rely on the microwave at our house. There goes another $250 (if I'm lucky.)

Arghh! My microwave died this morning. We really rely on the microwave at our house. There goes another $250 (if I'm lucky.)

Ill trade you! :ohmy: You pay the balance on my bill for my well pump (remaining part is $1,353.81-after already paying my deposit of $1,500.00), and I will buy you a new microwave!

Seriously, I hate it when anything breaks. Sorry you have to buy a new microwave or pay to get the one you have fixed. :cry:

There is no limit to what you can spend, but there are a lot of simple ones for lot less money out there. I'm sorry you have to go thru that.

I hate dealing with corporations. I am trying to get a few dental claims paid back from Sun life and they offer on line, direct deposit claiming. I have been trying to get things going for over a week now and they can't seem to set me up on it. I have been on the phone three times, had to go back to the dentist because they gave me incomplete invoice codes, and now the final straw, they don't know what is wrong and tell me I have to mail my claim in manually. The girl said, "Sorry, there is nothing more we can do"
Between the dentist and this Insurance company, they all charge top dollar for everything and offer so much but never deliver. They can't get their crap together. Why can't we decide that maybe I can't pay this month. Sorry. You are going to have to figure something else out.

AHHHHGGGG!!!!

When the microwave on our built-in double oven/microwave broke we got by a few years with a cheap, large countertop unit. The countertop unit was way better than our dated built-in.

I hate dealing with corporations. I am trying to get a few dental claims paid back from Sun life and they offer on line, direct deposit claiming. I have been trying to get things going for over a week now and they can't seem to set me up on it. I have been on the phone three times, had to go back to the dentist because they gave me incomplete invoice codes, and now the final straw, they don't know what is wrong and tell me I have to mail my claim in manually. The girl said, "Sorry, there is nothing more we can do"
Between the dentist and this Insurance company, they all charge top dollar for everything and offer so much but never deliver. They can't get their crap together. Why can't we decide that maybe I can't pay this month. Sorry. You are going to have to figure something else out.

AHHHHGGGG!!!!

Sorry to hear that you have to put up with this stupidity. Can't they give yu a card to show the dentist so he/she bills Sun Life and you just pay the dentist your share?

Sorry to hear that you have to put up with this stupidity. Can't they give yu a card to show the dentist so he/she bills Sun Life and you just pay the dentist your share?
The dentist doesn't deal that way(surprised??) You have to pay them first and then claim your money back from Sun life....Some chiropractic expenses went through a few weeks ago, which was only 70 bucks, but now the dental one isn't getting through. Which is over 600 balloons......

I don't know the norm in Canada, but here in the US, the Dr. bills the insurance company and they pay him directly. Then the Dr. has to bill you any balance. If this is the norm in Canada as well, I'd change dentists. he's just too lazy to do it right.

I don't know the norm in Canada, but here in the US, the Dr. bills the insurance company and they pay him directly. Then the Dr. has to bill you any balance. If this is the norm in Canada as well, I'd change dentists. he's just too lazy to do it right.

Unfortunately this is a sign of the times. It's becoming more and more the norm because dealing with the paper work is getting so horrendous. The doctors have to spend enormous amounts of time filling out paperwork so they've just stop being a participating provider and are charging full fee and making the patient seek reimbursement themselves.

Another new trend here in Hawaii is concierge medicine where you pay annual membership rate to the physician for private / elite services. Don't even bother calling them if you are on Medicare. :(

I'm on medicare with a supplemental insurance plan. I get a nice summary report each month detailing medical charges for the period. What's really interesting is the amount billed by the provider as compared to the amount approved by Medicare. The difference is huge. The Medicare approved amount is a small fraction of the amount billed. Medicare and the insurance company share payment of that smaller amount. The really sad fact is that if you have no insurance, you get billed the larger amount!

The insurance co. and Medicare also review the bills to identify duplicate or inappropriate charges which they reject. This protection is lost if the providers bill the customer directly.

Back
Top Bottom