Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I called my ISP's customer service number. I knew what the problem likely was, just couldn't fix it myself. I gave them the rundown on what was going on and the lady says "you seem to know what you are talking about, I'll schedule a tech and send them out, none of the things I can tell you to do will likely help". I just wanted to avoid the "unplug the modem and plug it back in" thing.
They tell make my husband unplug the modem, etc. He's an IT guy. He understands this stuff far better than most of the help line people. When he is lucky, they escalate to a real techy.

When they tell me to have my husband do something with any tech I have to ask them why...I'm the one that taught him.

I'm pretty good at tech stuff, usually better than the guys on the front line of help, but Stirling is a whiz at tech stuff. They have never asked me to talk to my husband. Sometimes I tell them they have to talk to him. ;)

I too am good at tech stuff, I learnt it all from Steve, he is ever so smart when it comes to computers, hardware and software...he is a Software Engineer in his full time job but also can make a pc from scratch, very impressive :)

I too am good at tech stuff, I learnt it all from Steve, he is ever so smart when it comes to computers, hardware and software...he is a Software Engineer in his full time job but also can make a pc from scratch, very impressive :)

Yes, my Dad does the same thing, he's been building computers and working with them since before there were PC's.

I'm pretty good at tech stuff, usually better than the guys on the front line of help, but Stirling is a whiz at tech stuff. They have never asked me to talk to my husband. Sometimes I tell them they have to talk to him. ;)

It is good that us girls know what to do :)

I used to keep up on all the technie stuff. But then I found Spike. So now my instructions are "Don't touch anything. Call me." So that is what I do.

I too remember Howdy Doody. I also remember Roberta Quinlin and her sponsor, Carpets From The Looms Of Mohawk. She had a 15 minute show at 7 p.m. five nights a week. And the nightly news was told to us by John Cameron Swazey who was sponsored by Timex. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Another 15 minute show. And I also remember my mother listen to the Romances of Helen Trent and the Guiding Light on the radio. Yes, I admit it. I am old. :angel:

I called my ISP's customer service number. I knew what the problem likely was, just couldn't fix it myself. I gave them the rundown on what was going on and the lady says "you seem to know what you are talking about, I'll schedule a tech and send them out, none of the things I can tell you to do will likely help". I just wanted to avoid the "unplug the modem and plug it back in" thing.

The "unplug/replug" thing is what caused Himself to not call about a flaky modem for months, until it got too bad. Even I knew what was wrong...the thing was over a decade old and worn out! When he finally called they asked a bunch of questions, did a few tests with him on the phone, and told him they couldn't find anything wrong. Next day they send him an email - saying a new modem was on the way! Well, the new one has been in its box on the counter for a week now because MY idea worked: move the old modem from the den on the warmer second floor and put it down the basement where it's cooler and a constant temp. Danged old one has been perfect for 2 weeks! :LOL:

Yes, my Dad does the same thing, he's been building computers and working with them since before there were PC's.

Same with Himself. We never had a new computer (unless you count our Atari 800) until 2000 because he would bring home the old ones from work for free, tinker with them, and get them to run good enough for home. I felt like the IT guy's version of the shoemaker's kids.

Back in the early '70s he worked for a small company designing systems and writing code. (His typing wasn't very good - I have a punch card he did for me that says "I move you" :ROFLMAO:) A client wanted to get their desktop computers to send data to an office in another state, but back then only mainframes were doing data transfers. He and a coworker (Tom) stayed late every night trying to get it to work. It was a secret project and I couldn't tell anyone so I called it "Nanette" anytime we were out (theatre joke). Got so I saw so little of him I would pack a basket of food for him and Tom and run over to the office from my parents' home and drop it off! When they finally got it working by testing between their office in Cleveland and the home office back in MA (different company than the most recent) everyone at HQ was so impressed they offered the two guys teaching jobs at corporate. Dodged the moving bullet that time. ;)

The "unplug/replug" thing is what caused Himself to not call about a flaky modem for months, until it got too bad. Even I knew what was wrong...the thing was over a decade old and worn out! When he finally called they asked a bunch of questions, did a few tests with him on the phone, and told him they couldn't find anything wrong. Next day they send him an email - saying a new modem was on the way! Well, the new one has been in its box on the counter for a week now because MY idea worked: move the old modem from the den on the warmer second floor and put it down the basement where it's cooler and a constant temp. Danged old one has been perfect for 2 weeks! :LOL:

When Spike called Comcast for me to tell them I needed a new modem, they didn't believe him. So the silly person on the other end spent almost 20 minutes of his time trying to get my modem to work. Finally he asked how long have I had the Internet service with them. I even had the date. It was ten years ago. Long before they went digital. "Oh, I think your modem is out of date now." Such a brilliant guy. By now I decided to play with him. "Can you bring it into the office and we will exchange it for you?" "No, I am housebound and can't walk. And I am very elderly. The computer and TV are the only means I have of staying in touch with the outside world. Can you deliver it to me without an extra charge?"
"Oh, I will have to check with my supervisor." I already knew the answer, but since these calls are timed and monitored, I wasn't going to let him off to easy.

"Can I set up an appointment time with you? What time would it be the most convenient for you when you will be at home?"
"Well considering I am housebound I expect to be home all day."
The conversation kept going on and on about a good time for me and the truck that would be in my neighborhood. I finally had enough of his stupidity and asked for his supervisor. Took her 10 seconds to set up the time. And there was no delivery charge.

:wacko: Had he asked me in the beginning when I had gotten my old modem he could have saved a lot of time. You can bet he got a dressing down for the length of that call. 45 minutes. Idiot! :angel:

Last edited:
I'm my own tech support for most things, If I don't know how to do something, I research until I figure it out.

Just this morning I replaced the DVD drive in my home theater PC with a blu-ray drive before I even ate breakfast. I built the computer myself. I recently bought it a whole new case, one that will fit under the TV nice and neat instead of beside the tv on the floor. I had the whole thing dismantled, cleaned and put back together in about 45 minutes.

When it comes to the modem, there isn't much I can fix, it's proprietary from At&t, not even something I can go out and replace myself, like I could with my old cable modem.

Same with Himself. We never had a new computer (unless you count our Atari 800) until 2000 because he would bring home the old ones from work for free, tinker with them, and get them to run good enough for home. I felt like the IT guy's version of the shoemaker's kids.

Back in the early '70s he worked for a small company designing systems and writing code. (His typing wasn't very good - I have a punch card he did for me that says "I move you" :ROFLMAO:) A client wanted to get their desktop computers to send data to an office in another state, but back then only mainframes were doing data transfers. He and a coworker (Tom) stayed late every night trying to get it to work. It was a secret project and I couldn't tell anyone so I called it "Nanette" anytime we were out (theatre joke). Got so I saw so little of him I would pack a basket of food for him and Tom and run over to the office from my parents' home and drop it off! When they finally got it working by testing between their office in Cleveland and the home office back in MA (different company than the most recent) everyone at HQ was so impressed they offered the two guys teaching jobs at corporate. Dodged the moving bullet that time. ;)

I used to sit in the room with the punch card creator while Dad's homework ran through and let him know when a jam happened or a run was done. He was busy down the hall setting up chemistry labs for the next day. I watched carefully and soon I was fixing jams and putting in the next box of cards without bugging him.

He got a lot of help out of me when he was a workstudy student. I got good at setting up labs, helped him with inventories, etc. Then we'd walk home past the cemetery and he'd scare me with stories.

Back
Top Bottom