Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have no choice here. This building is wired for Comcast only. I have gone paperless, so when I get their promotional crap in the mail, I black out the mailing code and my name and write across it, "Return to sender." After sending a couple of these back they stop coming for a couple of months. I hate junk mail. I do this will all junk mail. Even though they get a reduced rate for bulk mailings for postage, it is still expensive to be sending this crap out. By getting it back, they think I have either moved or died. When I got rid of my land line, Verizon called me for the few remaining days until the end of the month when it was to be shut off, they hounded me with phone calls. I return all mail that I don't want, to the sender. They have to pay the postage both ways. And I NEVER sign contracts for anything! :angel:

We have no choice here. This building is wired for Comcast only. I have gone paperless, so when I get their promotional crap in the mail, I black out the mailing code and my name and write across it, "Return to sender." After sending a couple of these back they stop coming for a couple of months. I hate junk mail. I do this will all junk mail. Even though they get a reduced rate for bulk mailings for postage, it is still expensive to be sending this crap out. By getting it back, they think I have either moved or died. When I got rid of my land line, Verizon called me for the few remaining days until the end of the month when it was to be shut off, they hounded me with phone calls. I return all mail that I don't want, to the sender. They have to pay the postage both ways. And I NEVER sign contracts for anything! :angel:

Same here. Our building was wired for Rogers. We had everything else with Bell but were stuck until Bell came out with Fibe TV. It comes through our internet modem. Freedom at last.

LOL yep ... they can't stand it when they don't have control of their customers.

We had Verizon for many years. And like you, we found their great offers cost us more in the long run.

It took a long time but we finally broke free of them. It simply was not cost efficient for us to use them any longer.

Boy that's when they really put the pressure on.

Anyway .. I know they have good coverage, but money is money and they are not the best deal for everyone.

We already pay too much with 2 smartphones, but less than any of their "new" and "improved" plans. Their coverage in this area keeps me with them. It is nice to know that we can switch at any time. We buy used phones off ebay to stay out of contract, there are some great deals on gently used phones out there.

Touchpad is the way to go. I barely have to lift a finger. There's altogether too much movement with a mouse.

With a notepad and smaller keys, as a real typist I find the touchpad gets tapped at the most inopportune time. I have tried disabling/enabling the pad when I type but I had to perform that function too many times. Frankly, if my ONLY choices were touchpad or a mouse-on-a-leash I'd take the hard-wired mouse.

Meanwhile, Mousy decided to go off on an adventure again. Himself is declaring it dead. Maybe. We are still going to test out the old roller-ball mouse to see if it stays operational.

Technology: Here to make your life easier. :glare:

Whoever runs your buildings has a contract with a specific provider, Comcast, Rogers or whomever. If they want to negotiate a better deal with another provider, they can pass the savings on to you.

I live in a condo complex and Verizon FiOS came in and put FiOS cabling in the ground to service every unit. Then they tried to sell each condo owner on switching over to FiOS. It was an individual decision. If you decided to switch, they just hooked up FiOS to the existing wiring in the condo unit.

I was happy with Comcast except for the pricing so I switched to FiOS and am saving a ton each month. My business goes to the lowest bidder.

ACK...Yahoo just changed my Yahoo screen again. It's ugly and hard to read. The new themes look like they are painted on top and very hard to read. YUCK!:censored:

Same here. Our building was wired for Rogers. We had everything else with Bell but were stuck until Bell came out with Fibe TV. It comes through our internet modem. Freedom at last.

Our part of Boston isn't even wired for Fiber Optics. The rest of Boston is though. The mayor signed a long term contract with Comcast. It is the main reason, after 20 years, he has decided to retire and I am happy. When Cable was coming to Boston, two cable companies wired this part of Boston. Comcast is wired above ground and on poles located in backyards to the homes. The other is all underground. The mayor decided to go with Comcast. :angel:

We are grandfathered in to a very old Verizon plan....$30 per month. My husband uses that phone and he insists on Verizon because their service is the best. Me? I have a Tracfone and I pay $20 for 90 days. We don't use our cell phones very much. LOL

Every month, Verizon sends me an email to tell me that my bill is available online. Then they send me a text, to tell me that my bill is available online. Then I get a bill in the mail, which I pay.

This makes me want to not pay the bill, and when they complain, I will say "I didn't get the bill!" LOL

Hopefully, I can call them and ask them to discontinue the email and text. I have had this phone for 15 years. I know that I can go online and see my bill.

I'm pretty sure you can log in online and make any changes you want ;)

Whoever runs your buildings has a contract with a specific provider, Comcast, Rogers or whomever. If they want to negotiate a better deal with another provider, they can pass the savings on to you.

I live in a condo complex and Verizon FiOS came in and put FiOS cabling in the ground to service every unit. Then they tried to sell each condo owner on switching over to FiOS. It was an individual decision. If you decided to switch, they just hooked up FiOS to the existing wiring in the condo unit.

I was happy with Comcast except for the pricing so I switched to FiOS and am saving a ton each month. My business goes to the lowest bidder.

For me having rock solid internet is something we really need. We have nobody offering a decent price, we have Uverse from At&t and Time Warner. Time Warner was so bad in this area, I'm not sure if I'd take them back even if it was nearly free. For TV it really is six of one, half dozen of another.

With a notepad and smaller keys, as a real typist I find the touchpad gets tapped at the most inopportune time. I have tried disabling/enabling the pad when I type but I had to perform that function too many times. Frankly, if my ONLY choices were touchpad or a mouse-on-a-leash I'd take the hard-wired mouse.

Meanwhile, Mousy decided to go off on an adventure again. Himself is declaring it dead. Maybe. We are still going to test out the old roller-ball mouse to see if it stays operational.

Technology: Here to make your life easier. :glare:

How would I go about disabling the touchpad? :wacko:

On my Toshiba laptop, I learned (horribly) that you can disable your mousepad by clicking on the white upwards pointing arrow at the bottom right corner of your screen and clicking on "Synaptics Pointing Device".

I am very happy with my mousepad. I was very uhnappy that I had to drive over to my brother's house to plug a mouse in, so I could re-enable it!

On my Toshiba laptop, I learned (horribly) that you can disable your mousepad by clicking on the white upwards pointing arrow at the bottom right corner of your screen and clicking on "Synaptics Pointing Device".

I am very happy with my mousepad. I was very uhnappy that I had to drive over to my brother's house to plug a mouse in, so I could re-enable it!

You are a Wizard!!! Thank you so much!!! So easy!:wub:

Stirling made pancakes. I love his pancakes and was delighted that he wanted to make them. He made up a big batch of the dry ingredients and put most of it in a jar in the fridge. I forgot how much of a mess it makes when he makes up the big batch of "pancake mix".

It took me two rounds of hand dish washing. There wasn't room on the dish rack for everything. Lots of the stuff is too big for our small dishwasher. grrr

We are having supper late, 'cause I spent so much time cleaning up, so I could cook. I better not hear about how late supper is...

They're all different PF. Good thing Katy had a solution that worked because I wouldn't have been any help. You see, with my ASUS I have two keys I use: There is a "Fn" key a couple to the left of the space bar that enables the function keys at the very top of the keyboard. I have to make sure I tap the correct key to turn the touchpad on and off. Otherwise I can turn off the internet. Or change resolution. Or mess up all kinds of other functions but still not get the touchpad changed. I look at this keyboard a lot! But at least I wouldn't have to drive somewhere to use a mouse. Toshiba didn't make it easy, did they Katy?

My old laptop had a switch. Click left=on, click right=off. So easy...and mistake-proof. I NEED mistake-proof!

I guess I got lucky in that my laptop had a "Synaptics Pointing Device" and I knew exactly where I had seen it. Now I only have to worry about my normal typos. No more jumping cursor to foul things up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom