Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know if this is still true, but when my mom was sailing the Caribbean, she said Americans could travel to Cuba - we just can't spend money there.

I think it's in case your passport is checked, and if you fly back into Coz or Belize. They use an ink stamper in both Coz and Belize, but as RJ stated, it's a non-event if you fly out of Canada and Cuba.
I still don't understand double stamped. Sounds like stamping it twice. I don't understand what stamping it in Coz or Belize has to do with it. Those we be stamps for leaving the country and/or coming into the country. Where does Cuba come into the picture?

I still don't understand double stamped. Sounds like stamping it twice. I don't understand what stamping it in Coz or Belize has to do with it. Those we be stamps for leaving the country and/or coming into the country. Where does Cuba come into the picture?

I have no clue, that was the explanation I got, stamping it twice. Mexico and Belize stamp passports, Canada and Cuba don't, apparently. US may check for passport stamps.

I was really interested in visiting Cuba at one time, but it's apparently still pretty risky for US citizens, and I'm not sure I'd want to go to jail for the visit!

Well, I've been called for jury duty again. I found it interesting that potential jurors have a choice of either completing the personal info on the form, and using their own stamp to send it in (no prestamping) or to fill out the form online. I'm cheap, so I went online. There was a warning that all the manditory info that we would HAVE to submit would become public record. A lot of personal information. This makes me very uncomfortable, why would they do this with so much identity theft out there?

Well, I've been called for jury duty again. I found it interesting that potential jurors have a choice of either completing the personal info on the form, and using their own stamp to send it in (no prestamping) or to fill out the form online. I'm cheap, so I went online. There was a warning that all the manditory info that we would HAVE to submit would become public record. A lot of personal information. This makes me very uncomfortable, why would they do this with so much identity theft out there?

Another advantage to old age. I can no longer be called for Jury Duty. :angel:

Wow ... I sure wouldn't do it. Giving information online is something I stay away from. I would rather use a stamp and mail it or better yet, hand deliver it.

Wow ... I sure wouldn't do it. Giving information online is something I stay away from. I would rather use a stamp and mail it or better yet, hand deliver it.

Problem is, all the info becomes public record, whether it's online, mailed, or hand delivered. That's what makes me so mad. It's all entered into the same data base. :mad:

And it's a crime if you don't comply with jury duty or fill out the form.

Last edited:
Problem is, all the info becomes public record, whether it's online, mailed, or hand delivered. That's what makes me so mad. It's all entered into the same data base. :mad:

What kind of nosy questions do they ask?

Oh geez .. well I don't blame you for being mad about this.

I really think this "public information" thing is way out of hand.

Like you said .. so much crime anymore and they are just handing free information to the bad guys and will punish you if you don't supply it.

I hope I never have to go through that.

I thought you folks had an Amendment to protect against such things. The 4th or 5th?

Jurors names and personal info here are always kept private. Not due to ID theft, but retaliation in case of a guilty verdict. :angel:

Another advantage to old age. I can no longer be called for Jury Duty. :angel:

What is the age cut off, Addie? Is it the same all over the country? I told DH that and he said it is not true. Neither of us has ever gone for jury duty. He got a summons once but when he called they said he did not have to go. I know people older than I am who have gone for jury duty. I am 67, they were a few years older.

I got called once for jury duty. I told them I was retired military and they couldn't scoot me out of the court house any faster. That was about 12 years ago and have never been asked since.

Jurors names and personal info here are always kept private. Not due to ID theft, but retaliation in case of a guilty verdict. :angel:

You would think so. All the info was there, front and center. I am not a juror yet. And I'm still :mad:

Why would they say all the info is a matter of public record?

I've been summoned 5 times, most of the time I've called the number, and there were no trials that day, so I was dismissed. I did have to show up once, but since I had a friend who was a police liason who was connected to the case, I got to go home. DH has had one summons.

Last edited:
In MA we have the option to change your date of service once. Last time I got called, I changed the date to the Friday before a holiday weekend. The judges all take off early for the holiday and you don't get called.

In MA we have the option to change your date of service once. Last time I got called, I changed the date to the Friday before a holiday weekend. The judges all take off early for the holiday and you don't get called.

We get that here too. I just don't want all my personal info broadcast across the internet, and to risk being jailed if I don't provide it.

What is the age cut off, Addie? Is it the same all over the country? I told DH that and he said it is not true. Neither of us has ever gone for jury duty. He got a summons once but when he called they said he did not have to go. I know people older than I am who have gone for jury duty. I am 67, they were a few years older.

I recall a very old man, deaf as a post, being chosen for jury duty. Figured him to be in his mid 70's at least.

Lol, in my brain, the sooner the better.

I usually pack clothes the day before. I have a 5 pocket plastic organizer that I start filling before trips, this will have hotel confirmations, boarding passes, rental car confirmations, passports etc.. In the order that I will need them. This gets setup in the hallway about a month ahead and I drop stuff in it as I get it. I'll have phone numbers for my credit cards, including international if needed in case my wallet is lost or stolen. I try to cover all of the bases.....

Well, I am going to Helena...be like visiting a whole other country. :LOL:

As I come across things, like my bag of room amenities, I just toss them in the suitcase so I don't have to "refind" them. Anything I buy special for the trip, like new clothes (since I don't own anything other than scrubs and t-shirts). My dress shoes will go in, once I decide if I want the flats or the slight heel.

I think I will call the hotel and ask if the have Keurigs in the rooms, if not, I will take mine. Coffee stash, of course.:rolleyes:

Work is taking care of the hotel, etc. I just put everything on the room, unless I want to eat somewhere else, then I just keep the receipt.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who starts getting ready so early. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom