Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's been my understanding that your monthly payment on a two year contract pays for the discounted phone. They sell you a phone for a low price then inflate the monthly contract price to get their money back. So if you buy a phone separately then continue your contract, you're paying twice.

You are correct, it stinks that my monthly payment doesn't go down now that both contracts are over. I have to look at it this way, there is no other option that gives me unlimited LTE service at this point. Sprint is very slowly rolling out LTE service and they have unlimited data, but they have very little LTE at this point. Verizon has covered a majority of their footprint with LTE, the only time I see 3g show up on my phone is in very rural areas and fringe areas. I also pay $60 a month per phone with my corporate discount (unlimited data, 750 minutes shared, no texting). There are cheaper options for unlimited everything (data speeds are slowed after a certain amount, but not shut down or charged overages), but they are on networks like t-mobile where coverage can be quite spotty when not in a city. We rarely text and use very few minutes.

T-mobile started the program where they are pricing their phones separate from their service, the price of the service is obvious, then you finance your phone which is then added to your bill, once the phone is paid off your bill goes down to just the price of the service. All of the big names have followed suit and are offering similar programs, but they are all pretty much more than what I am paying per month.

....I really like the look of Ting, I wish more carriers operated that way.

....I also pay $60 a month per phone with my corporate discount (unlimited data, 750 minutes shared, no texting)......
Himself has looked at several plans for months now: Ting, Republic, Virgin and Someone Else (the Walmart one). Probably all the rest out there too. ;) Decided Ting gave the most flexibility with your phone and the services would work for us. We currently have a Verizon similar to yours, but since he lost his company discount we've been paying $140 for two phones on a shared plan. Since we live in a reasonably modern town and we have unlimited internet at home we can use WiFi for the phones and not worry about using our data measure. As a bonus, Ting lets you download a HotSpot app on the phone. I remember that Republic didn't. Our daughter (whom we stay with when back in OH) doesn't have home internet and uses her phone as her hot spot - but you can piggyback only so many laptops to it before the connection suffers.

Himself has looked at several plans for months now: Ting, Republic, Virgin and Someone Else (the Walmart one). Probably all the rest out there too. ;) Decided Ting gave the most flexibility with your phone and the services would work for us. We currently have a Verizon similar to yours, but since he lost his company discount we've been paying $140 for two phones on a shared plan. Since we live in a reasonably modern town and we have unlimited internet at home we can use WiFi for the phones and not worry about using our data measure. As a bonus, Ting lets you download a HotSpot app on the phone. I remember that Republic didn't. Our daughter (whom we stay with when back in OH) doesn't have home internet and uses her phone as her hot spot - but you can piggyback only so many laptops to it before the connection suffers.

I use my phone as a hotspot even though Verizon doesn't want me to unless I pay them another $30 per month, but since I'm tech saavy I have a work around. I only use it as a hotspot while traveling if hotel WiFi is crappy and I want to stream stuff from my home server, or if I'm a passenger in a car and want to use the internet on my tablet. We have separate home internet, we stream a lot and I think that Verizon would only put up with that for so long!

It is nice being out of contract and having options. I might buy an inexpensive sprint smartphone and give ting a try for a month or so on one of their less expensive plans to see how the coverage is here, I haven't had sprint since 1999. If I don't care for it, I'll resell the phone and keep what I currently have.

Last edited:
Lamenting having paid top dollar for a flight to Las Vegas that will be delayed because of the never ending fog we have been enduring for two weeks now ARGH!!!!! Crapola!!! Supposed to leave at 8:00 delayed now until 10.40, but I expect it will be delayed by more than that, as one of our party was to leave this morning at 8:00 and did not get out until 1:40 ick 1/2 a day at the airport!!! This trip is short enough without having to wait on weather! Okay rant over ...... For now ;)

I don't know why but for some reason the five pound bags of sugar I buy at my supermarket have been solid block of sugar. Have you ever tried to break up a solid five pound bag of sugar so you can get it into the canister? I hate grains of sugar on my counter. It drives me crazy!

Vent over. Thanks for listening. :angel:

I don't know why but for some reason the five pound bags of sugar I buy at my supermarket have been solid block of sugar. Have you ever tried to break up a solid five pound bag of sugar so you can get it into the canister? I hate grains of sugar on my counter. It drives me crazy!

Just like when my frozen vegis turn into a block, I drop it on the floor. Several times, if necessary.

Just like when my frozen vegis turn into a block, I drop it on the floor. Several times, if necessary.

I would love to do that. But I have neighbors and if they hear a thud, they think someone has fallen and come running. More than once I have gone next door when she drops something thinking she may have fallen. These wall are thick, but thuds you can hear! I need to get out my hammer. (For the sugar, not the neighbors!) :angel:

I would love to do that. But I have neighbors and if they hear a thud, they think someone has fallen and come running. More than once I have gone next door when she drops something thinking she may have fallen. These wall are thick, but thuds you can hear! I need to get out my hammer. (For the sugar, not the neighbors!) :angel:
Yeah, I can see that dropping heavy things on the floor might not be such a great idea where you live.

Yeah, I can see that dropping heavy things on the floor might not be such a great idea where you live.

If it is a woman who hears the thud, the first thing they do is knock on a man's door in case who ever fell needs to be picked up. It never occurs to anyone to call 911 instead. :angel:

I had been having a battle with fruit flies. I knew the cause was a peach I didn't eat in time. So I cut it up, tossed the pit in the garbage and the flesh down the drain and let the garbage disposal take care of it. Hmmm. Too many fruit flies and they weren't leaving. So I went on line.

It seems the main culprit in most kitchens is the drain in the sink. Specially those with a garbage disposal. Sure enough, that is where my friends were holding there meetings. By now there wasn't a single fruit fly. They were all married with large families. The cure was so simple. Pour bleach down the drain and for those that didn't want to live down there, Windex! Windex? Are they kidding? Okay, I will try it. So I got out the bottle and every time I saw any, they got hit with Windex! Problem solved in one day.

Yesterday I made an apple pie for my daughter. I put the peels down the drain, ran the disposal with scalding hot water and then poured a bit of bleach down. I go out in the kitchen tonight and there are more of my friends. Where were they coming from? The peeler! I left it in the sink to be washed. And according to the article, it doesn't have to be fruit that attracts them. It can be a potato or onion or any raw food that has gone bad. Most foods have sugar in them and that is what they are after. There was still the sugar on the peeler. Lesson learned. Windex to the rescue! I usually clean as I go. But I got lazy this time. :angel:

Put the sugar bat into another plastic bag. I use a produce bag from the store. Take a rolling pin or flat side of a meat pounder and think of something that makes you angry. Beat the sugar on the kitchen counter until the lumps are broken up. You don't have to hit it really hard, just enough times to get things loose. As a bonus, repeated crashing sounds will assure your neighbors you aren't passing out on the floor.

Oh, and about those fruit flies? Google "homemade kitchen counter fruit fly catchers". There are all kinds of different options, but basically they are a jar/bowl with something to attract them and a piece of plastic with pinholes over it to catch them. All are given good reviews.

Last edited:
I cut a pop bottle in half, invert the top part as a funnel, and put a bit of cider vinegar in the bottom. Fruit flies get in, but they can't fly out, and drown.

image-2388415773.jpg

image-307462927.jpg

Last edited:
For fruit flies, I put a small bowl of cider vinegar on the counter with a few drops of dish detergent. The vinegar attracts them and the soap breaks the surface tension of the liquid. They try to land on top, but they fall into the cider and DIE!

For fruit flies, I put a small bowl of cider vinegar on the counter with a few drops of dish detergent. The vinegar attracts them and the soap breaks the surface tension of the liquid. They try to land on top, but they fall into the cider and DIE!
That's what I usually do too.

Cool.

Fruit flies seem to like wine even better than cicer vinegar. :rolleyes:

I'm not sharing my wine :LOL: When I was a bartender, I noticed that fruit flies really liked getting in through the pour tops of sweet liqueur bottles. Nasty. A little protein with your Pink Squirrel?

Last edited:

That's what I do! It works and within no time there are dead little fruit fly bodies in the vinegar.

Back
Top Bottom