Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had been having a battle with fruit flies. I knew the cause was a peach I didn't eat in time. So I cut it up, tossed the pit in the garbage and the flesh down the drain and let the garbage disposal take care of it. Hmmm. Too many fruit flies and they weren't leaving. So I went on line.

It seems the main culprit in most kitchens is the drain in the sink. Specially those with a garbage disposal. Sure enough, that is where my friends were holding there meetings. By now there wasn't a single fruit fly. They were all married with large families. The cure was so simple. Pour bleach down the drain and for those that didn't want to live down there, Windex! Windex? Are they kidding? Okay, I will try it. So I got out the bottle and every time I saw any, they got hit with Windex! Problem solved in one day.

Yesterday I made an apple pie for my daughter. I put the peels down the drain, ran the disposal with scalding hot water and then poured a bit of bleach down. I go out in the kitchen tonight and there are more of my friends. Where were they coming from? The peeler! I left it in the sink to be washed. And according to the article, it doesn't have to be fruit that attracts them. It can be a potato or onion or any raw food that has gone bad. Most foods have sugar in them and that is what they are after. There was still the sugar on the peeler. Lesson learned. Windex to the rescue! I usually clean as I go. But I got lazy this time. :angel:

Even with all of the fruit in our produce department at work, when we get fruit flies, they go after the onions first!

You'd think with a entire produce department we'd see more fruit flies than we do. When I worked for another company they were everywhere, including the bakery. They loved the onion or blueberry bagels in the bulk bagel bins.

I wash bananas the minute I get them home. And the cherry toms in bowls on the counter sport shower caps.

We have a covered copper bucket on the counter for composting scraps, the FFs seem to like getting into it.

Every year before Thanksgiving I buy a new turkey baster. Not long after the holiday is over, my husband confiscates it to use in the garage to siphon oil, etc. So here I am again without one. I wanted to use it for something today and it wasn't there.

SO In The Kitchen

Not that I'm complaining, but guess who has clean up when she cooks. Keep in mind I've already cleaned up after her once today for the pecan balls she made before I got up this morning.

Attachments

• DSC04160.jpg
    DSC04160.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 247
Not that I'm complaining, but guess who has clean up when she cooks. Keep in mind I've already cleaned up after her once today for the pecan balls she made before I got up this morning.

LOL Even with the mess, you have a beautiful kitchen, Andy. Is that the TV remote I see in the middle of the counter?

Every year before Thanksgiving I buy a new turkey baster. Not long after the holiday is over, my husband confiscates it to use in the garage to siphon oil, etc. So here I am again without one. I wanted to use it for something today and it wasn't there.

Join the club on millions of women across the nation. My daughter now keeps hers in the laundry room. He would never think of looking in there. Then the next time she was in the Dollar store, she bought about three of them and put them in the trunk. :angel:

Join the club on millions of women across the nation. My daughter now keeps hers in the laundry room. He would never think of looking in there. Then the next time she was in the Dollar store, she bought about three of them and put them in the trunk. :angel:

Why not just buy some for him. If he has his own he won't need hers.

Why not just buy some for him. If he has his own he won't need hers.

They were for him. That is why she put them in the trunk. The next time he asked her where hers was, she told him to look in the trunk. :rolleyes: He found them and told my daughter he didn't remember buying them, but is glad he did. He will have to remember to make sure he buys more of them. :angel:

Why would he if he can steal his wife's? Saves gas and time.

LOL, the reason my husband takes mine is because he doesn't want to ruin a new one using it for oil. I now buy cheap ones from Dollar Tree because I know I will never get to use it more than once. Have to put that on my list of things to buy for Thanksgiving.

Oh, and I also HAD a Super Shooter that I used to fill Ladylocks. He took that for some reason, cut the end off the decorator tip to make the opening bigger to suit his needs, and told me to buy a new one. I think I'll just quit making him Ladylocks.

Back
Top Bottom