Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, the catastrophe was kinda funny. I wouldn't have posted it if I was worried about people laughing at it. I thought Dawg was laughing at the glass of Scotch.

And now I have the headache from he double hockey sticks. I wonder if that is a reaction to yesterday's flu shot.

Well, the catastrophe was kinda funny. I wouldn't have posted it if I was worried about people laughing at it. I thought Dawg was laughing at the glass of Scotch. And now I have the headache from he double hockey sticks. I wonder if that is a reaction to yesterday's flu shot.

I would never laugh at a glass of scotch, but do you think that the adrenaline you experienced coupled with the scotch may have caused the headache.

I would never laugh at a glass of scotch, but do you think that the adrenaline you experienced coupled with the scotch may have caused the headache.
I doubt it. It took two hours before I got the headache and I had had a headache earlier, bad, but not as bad. Bad enough that I took AC&C (ASA [aspirin to Mercans], Codeine, and Cafeine). I did wait long enough after the AC&C before drinking the Scotch.

I doubt it. It took two hours before I got the headache and I had had a headache earlier, bad, but not as bad. Bad enough that I took AC&C (ASA [aspirin to Mercans], Codeine, and Cafeine). I did wait long enough after the AC&C before drinking the Scotch.

I remember reading a story once that involved a trophy of a cat's hind end that was cursed. You should probably make sure no one has snuck one into your house.

My petty vent today doesn't seem so petty to me. I came home after a very nice day at church. We had decided to have a Thanksgiving themed pot-luck next Sunday, to make sure that members who have no family around, or way to celebrate Thanksgiving have a great Thanksgiving Day meal. I was given a 15 lb. turkey to cook on the Webber for the pot luck. I brought it home, went into the basement to put it into the freezer, and found myself standing in ankle-deep water.

I checked the sump pump, and it was running. I disconnected it from the drain pipe that runs underground into the back yard, and turned on the pump. It pumped water wonderfully. I went out and dug up the drain tiles, three foot deep, and in a 20 yard trench. Lots of work there. Twomyoung men from our church helped me. They had to leave after we cleared every drain tile of the sand packing them. I buried everything back up and went back in to turn on the pump. I accidentally pulled the PVC hose from the pipe, and had to rebuild the connections from the pump, to the one-way valve, to the pipe. Of course I had to purchase hose clamps, on a Sunday no less. We don't purchase things on Sunday normally. I'm calling this one the "ox in the mire". I'll be checking in about 10 more minutes to see if the water is drained.

This is such a pain.

Saturday, I spent several hours preparing my two batches of chili for tomorrow's United Way Chili Cookoff. I was a tad sore after that. I will be serving the chili tomorrow. I'm going to be one tired hombre tomorrow night.

I'm gonna check the basement now. If it's drained, I'm going to bed.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Oh, Chief, so sorry. This belongs in Major Vents! We had a basement full of water many years ago. No sleep for 4 days as we shopvacced and cleaned.

What a huge pain, hope things get back to normal soon!

Oh, Chief, so sorry. This belongs in Major Vents! We had a basement full of water many years ago. No sleep for 4 days as we shopvacced and cleaned.

What a huge pain, hope things get back to normal soon!

My thoughts exactly. Major Vent! Hope tomorrow will be a peaceful family day and it is nice and quiet for you. What nice church members to help you on a Sunday. :angel:

I'll get it all sorted out. There isn't anything of real value in my basement, except for the hot water heater, the furnace, the deep freezer, you know, little things like that. Fortunately, we planned ahead. They are all a foot or more above the floor, and are untouched right now.

Well, it's light outside and so I'm going out to re-dig part of the drainage area, to find out why the water isn't pumping faster.

And thanks everyone, for the sympathy and understanding.

To say I am just a tad piturbed is to put it mildly. Winthrop screwed up again. I had an 8:45 a.m. appointment today. Winthrop failed to enter it into their system or arrang for my transportation. So needless to say, I missed another appointment. This one is rather important. It is a follow-up to make sure I am not headed for a stroke. One side of my mouth every so often becomes distorted and stays that way for about five minutes. My vascular doctor can't find a reason for it and wants neurology to take a look at me. All her tests come back fine. Is there some sort of blockage in my brain?

:wacko:The woman who is responsible for entering these appointments has done this so often. I should have called her Friday to confirm. It shouldn't have to fall on me. I had to do the rescheduling because I cannot trust her to do it right. I don't want to file a formal complaint. It could cost her, her job. And I don't ever want that on my head.

:wacko: I am going to brag a bit here. I am probably one of the best patients they have ever had. I make my own appointments, do the follow-up and call in for my own meds. I even often make arrangements for my own transportation. All jobs Winthrop is supposed to do. The whole purpose of this program is that I shouldn't have to worry my little head about anything. But I find that I often get calls from Winthrop asking me to verify their information with what I have. And I don't have an up to date computer program like they do. I just have my Google calendar. Grrr! :angel:

I'll get it all sorted out. There isn't anything of real value in my basement, except for the hot water heater, the furnace, the deep freezer, you know, little things like that. Fortunately, we planned ahead. They are all a foot or more above the floor, and are untouched right now.

Well, it's light outside and so I'm going out to re-dig part of the drainage area, to find out why the water isn't pumping faster.

And thanks everyone, for the sympathy and understanding.

Good luck Chief! Having been there, done that living in a basement apartment at my daughter's, you have my sympathy and total understanding. :angel:

I seem to be into punishing myself today. I can't stand not even one grain of salt or sugar on my counter tops. It drives me right up the wall. So I decide today I will wax the counter tops. I look for my bottle of Jubilee Kitchen Wax. Of course it is waaaay in back under the sink. I have to move everything on the counters. Then I get to the ones next to the stove. Why not do the tiles in back on the stove while I am at it? And the stove could use a good coat. Well, while I am at it, do the fridge also. Also the wooden trim along the edge of the counters should be done. Why not the cabinet fronts? Why not just shoot myself?

Now everyday I make sure I clean and wash my counter tops and wipe them down with hospital wipes. The stunner is that I cannot believe just how dirty they were. That Jubilee Wax really got all that film of dirt that I thought I was getting everyday. But at last my kitchen smells really clean and of Jubilee Wax. I am going to have to make this a weekly chore instead of just when I think of it.

Now my spine and hip are killing me. I had to take two Vicodins instead of just one. It was going up and down on the stool to clean the tiles over the stove that finally did me in. :angel:

I seem to be into punishing myself today. I can't stand not even one grain of salt or sugar on my counter tops. It drives me right up the wall. So I decide today I will wax the counter tops. I look for my bottle of Jubilee Kitchen Wax. Of course it is waaaay in back under the sink. I have to move everything on the counters. Then I get to the ones next to the stove. Why not do the tiles in back on the stove while I am at it? And the stove could use a good coat. Well, while I am at it, do the fridge also. Also the wooden trim along the edge of the counters should be done. Why not the cabinet fronts? Why not just shoot myself?

Now everyday I make sure I clean and wash my counter tops and wipe them down with hospital wipes. The stunner is that I cannot believe just how dirty they were. That Jubilee Wax really got all that film of dirt that I thought I was getting everyday. But at last my kitchen smells really clean and of Jubilee Wax. I am going to have to make this a weekly chore instead of just when I think of it.

Now my spine and hip are killing me. I had to take two Vicodins instead of just one. It was going up and down on the stool to clean the tiles over the stove that finally did me in. :angel:

I would throw that bottle of wax right out the window!

I understand how you feel though, for me it is the smell of pine cleaner or Clorox. It reminds me of my Grandmother mopping the kitchen floor and then spreading newspapers over it to pick up the water. So glad that I can be easily satisfied with the memory and feel no compulsion to actually mop the kitchen floor! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I understand how you feel though, for me it is the smell of pine cleaner or Clorox. It reminds me of my Grandmother mopping the kitchen floor and then spreading newspapers over it to pick up the water. So glad that I can be easily satisfied with the memory and feel no compulsion to actually mop the kitchen floor! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I have been using Jubilee Wax for almost 50 years. SEJohnson stopped manufacturing it for quite a while. But Vermont Country Store bought out their on hand supply and have carried it ever since. It is so popular and a plethora of letters asking about it that SEJ has begun to manufacturing it again. When the word went out that it was no longer being manufactured, housewives began to buy out what small local hardware stores had on hand. They often had to go down to their basements to bring up a case or two for the housewife.

One day my kids wrote on the wallpaper in the living room with a crayon. The Jubilee took it right off with no tell tale signs that it was ever there. From that day on I swore by it.

And I still mop my floors. Minus the newspaper. I have a wringer pail and it wrings out the mop almost dry. The floors dry really quick. I also still wax my kitchen and bathroom floors. But I use the non-skid wax. :angel:

Where oh where did I get pink eye? No one in the family or anyone else I know has had it. :-(

You may have touched a door knob that some stranger touched that had it. Then you touched your eye. You can pick that up anywhere. Make sure you keep your hands scrupulously clean and away from your eye. Tempting as it may be to rub it because it itches. All a pink eye is a small pimple in the follicle of an eye lash. :angel:

My mop's gathering dust in the garage -- good riddance to that particular compulsion. A little Swiffering holds the Health Dept. at bay. Nobody eats off the floor now anyway since the dog passed away.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom