Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You may have touched a door knob that some stranger touched that had it. Then you touched your eye. You can pick that up anywhere. Make sure you keep your hands scrupulously clean and away from your eye. Tempting as it may be to rub it because it itches. All a pink eye is a small pimple in the follicle of an eye lash. :angel:

It's highly contageous. My step-daughter's eye was all pink one day when she was in high school and she got sent home and was not allowed back without a note from an opthamalogist stating that she did not have pink eye. She didn't have it, and she really could not afford to miss school until we got an appointment.

My mop's gathering dust in the garage -- good riddance to that particular compulsion. A little Swiffering holds the Health Dept. at bay. Nobody eats off the floor now anyway since the dog passed away.

On Sunday, my grandson decided he wanted some bread. He's 5 and thinks he can do everything himself. Somehow, he dumped the whole loaf of bread on the floor. But he picked up every slice and put it back in the bag! LOL Like we're going to eat it, clean floor or not. The birds had a nice feast.

I used to do my floor on my hands and knees. Since I had my surgery my husband started doing them, but he mops. No house-maid's knee for him!

My mop's gathering dust in the garage -- good riddance to that particular compulsion. A little Swiffering holds the Health Dept. at bay. Nobody eats off the floor now anyway since the dog passed away.

I also use a cobweb covered Swiffer!

The truth is I start out with the Swiffer and end up crawling around the kitchen floor on my hands and knees with a sponge because the Swiffer does a lousy job, beats going to the gym! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
Spike informed me last night that here in Massachusetts, our free ride has come to an end. Amazon and our Tax Department came to an agreement. Effective November 1, 2013, Amazon will now collect the sales tax for Massachusetts. So unless it a Prime purchase, we may as well shop in the brick and mortar. So that is what we will do. In his travels while working, he will be going right past a vacuum parts store and will pick up some bags for mine. There is no rush, as I just put in my last new bag. And I don't vacuum that often. :mad: Dang Amazon! :angel:

I also use a cobweb covered Swiffer!

The truth is I start out with the Swiffer and end up crawling around the kitchen floor on my hands and knees with a sponge because the Swiffer does a lousy job, beats going to the gym! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

The last time I moved to Tacoma, I rented a house that had a beautiful black with confetti floor in the kitchen. Only you would never know it. The previous tenant used an abundant amount each time of Mop and Glo. Mop and wax your floor all at the same time. It was so thick on the floor, you couldn't even see the pattern or the color of the tiles. It took me two whole days soaking the floor with ammonia and hot water to get it soft enough to scrape it up with an old metal dustpan. Then I put down two coats of bowling ally wax, buffing it in between coats. For the next three years I lived there all I ever had to do was run a quick mop over it. Spill a liquid? It would bead up and made it so easy to keep it all clean. The good side to that is there was so much Mop and Go on the floor that there was no wear on the tiles. :angel:

I love my Bissell steam mop. It's lightweight and all I have to do is swing my arm back
and forth a few times. No soap, no rinsing.

Spike informed me last night that here in Massachusetts, our free ride has come to an end. Amazon and our Tax Department came to an agreement. Effective November 1, 2013, Amazon will now collect the sales tax for Massachusetts. So unless it a Prime purchase, we may as well shop in the brick and mortar. So that is what we will do. In his travels while working, he will be going right past a vacuum parts store and will pick up some bags for mine. There is no rush, as I just put in my last new bag. And I don't vacuum that often. :mad: Dang Amazon! :angel:
"we may as well shop in the brick and mortar" Of course you must. Use it or lose it!

There is a big campaign where I live to persuade people to use the independent shops in the village. It was sparked off by the Anti-ASDA Campaign when we saw off a big supermarket's plan to buy the old 6th form college site and build an enormous 24 hour s/market and petrol station in the middle of a residential area away from the centre of the village. (Incidentally, ASDA is owned by Walmart.) It would have killed the small shops which sell you what you want, not what they tell you to want and which are mostly family concerns. The butcher I use has been in the same family for over 50 years, the other butcher for nearly 40 and the bakers for over 60.

I do use Amazon if the book I want is out of print but we have an excellent "proper " bookseller locally with all the advantages that a bookshop run by enthusiasts has.

"we may as well shop in the brick and mortar" Of course you must. Use it or lose it!

There is a big campaign where I live to persuade people to use the independent shops in the village. It was sparked off by the Anti-ASDA Campaign when we saw off a big supermarket's plan to buy the old 6th form college site and build an enormous 24 hour s/market and petrol station in the middle of a residential area away from the centre of the village. (Incidentally, ASDA is owned by Walmart.) It would have killed the small shops which sell you what you want, not what they tell you to want and which are mostly family concerns. The butcher I use has been in the same family for over 50 years, the other butcher for nearly 40 and the bakers for over 60.

I do use Amazon if the book I want is out of print but we have an excellent "proper " bookseller locally with all the advantages that a bookshop run by enthusiasts has.
You make a good point.

We have a family run supermarket called Mourelatos, with an excellent selection of non-Asian ethnic foods. One of the big Canadian chain supermarkets (Loblaws) built a huge store right next to them. I was quite worried, but I guess there are a lot of people who prefer Mourelatos. They actually seem to be doing better since the super store has been there. I am pleased and relieved.

Last edited:
Remember when I emailed the Public TV Station because their "submit recipe" website was not working? They send me an email telling me to send the recipe directly to their email.

I'm going to be in the cookbook, I'm going to be in the cookbook! LOL

Remember when I emailed the Public TV Station because their "submit recipe" website was not working? They send me an email telling me to send the recipe directly to their email.

w00t!:w00t2:

Congratulations !!! WTG Carol !!

:clap::clap: One of our own is going to be published! :angel:

I am trying to renew my automobile registration online and the website won't come up. Don't any of the government websites work? Oh well, I have until January.

I am trying to renew my automobile registration online and the website won't come up. Don't any of the government websites work? Oh well, I have until January.

My daughter works for the RMV here in Mass. She works for the dealers in the state. They are supposed to register all their vehicles on line. You cannot imagine how many make stupid mistakes. Lower case "l" for "1" Lower case "o" for "0". When she calls them to go back in and correct their errors, they really get hostile. After a while she learned to tell them to have the secretary make the corrections. Their excuse is that the system was acting up the day they entered the VIN. (No it wasn't.) If they get too hostile, she refuses to allow the registration to go through, and they can't sell that vehicle until all the corrections are made. Most of the dealers realize that she has a lot of power. It is the young twits that give her the hard times. :angel:

I think Amazon is charging everyone tax now, no matter what state. AND free shipping from Amazon sales is now $35.00 not $25 :(

Apparently IKEA has magical powers. I seem to forget how much I don't like putting together furniture while I'm there! Even though the fabulous hall cabinet for shoes had what seemed like a million pieces, it was totally worth it, it looks fabulous!

I only drew blood once putting it together!

I think Amazon is charging everyone tax now, no matter what state. AND free shipping from Amazon sales is now $35.00 not $25 :(

I think there was a law passed awhile back that all online stores have to charge state sales tax. Each individual buyer was supposed to submit the tax to their state. The states were losing a lot of revenue. We were lucky to get away without it before.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom