Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some of my more preferred shows are documentaries. But lately, the voice doing the 'voice over' just seems to drone on and on. Bill Curtis is the biggest offender. I swear he gets paid by the word. After a while, I can't even watch to the end of the show. So for now I am going to find a good book to read instead. :angel:

I usually don't like the "music" these kinds of shows play.

What I do is turn on the closed captioning and turn the sound all the way down. You might try it too. I enjoy my animal and universe type shows much more this way.

In PA we have tax on prepared food, but not grocery store food. We also do not pay tax on clothing, except for specialty, like hunting gear etc.

My cat acts timid around me, he runs when I get up or enter a room. When I'm sitting down he rubs all over my feet and then plops down on them. I've had him since he was a kitten, for a few years it was just the two of us.

Now Rob is his favorite person, he lays on his lap all evening and follows him around. I think that the reason is that Rob is the one giving him treats.

Funny thing, as much as I am snubbed by the cat and as timid as he acts (I have no idea why), if there is bacon on my plate he becomes my best friend. While sitting at the table he will put his front paws on my leg and I can hand feed him bacon. He's a weird cat! Oh and don't give him any fatty pieces, you must pull off the meaty parts and feed him that.

Last edited:
I awoke this morning to the smell of hot wires. I checked around the house at 6:30 a.m. and found nothing amiss. Then I checked the basement and found it full of water again. I donned my hip waiters and checked the sump pump. It was a pedestal type and had fallen over in the night to submerge the motor in the sump hole. Needless to say, it wasn't working. I unplugged it, and went to the hardware store and promptly purchased a new, submersible model sump-pump, 1/2 horsepower, and the required fittings, a pipe wrench, channel locks, and new, heavier hose to attach the pump to the drain pipe, all to the tune of 250 U.S dollars. My basement is empty, there are no leaks, and no chance of this pump tipping over. It's stable, and already submersed in the sump hole (actually, half submerged).

That issue is now behind me. I only have to fill over the drain tile with rock and dirt, and I'll be completely finished with this project. I only wish I'd known how to install drain tile properly when I had to dig it up years ago for the same purpose. Reverently, when my father had installed it initially, he didn't know how to do it correctly either. But I do now. I'm just out of money at the moment for the required stone. I'll tackle it again in the spring. It held for ten years last time. I think it'll be ok until spring.:D

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Today DA and I were shopping and sometimes she tires easily. I had parked in a handicap space and helped DA on her walker to the store. When we were finished, she was very tired. She didn't feel strong enough to walk to Joy. I left her and the cart in the front of the store and I ran to Joy. I wanted to pick her up and get the purchases in front of the store so she would not have to walk.

A man was parked next to Joy, and he saw me run to her. He said, "You don't need that parking space. There is nothing wrong with you."

I was mad at him but I was hurrying because DA was very tired. I didn't say anything.

I don't like this when people judge unfairly. Rrrrrrrrrrr!

With love,
~Cat

Some people are just not worth worrying about.

If the store has electric scooters, it might be a good idea for DA to use one of those and conserve her strength.

Today DA and I were shopping and sometimes she tires easily. I had parked in a handicap space and helped DA on her walker to the store. When we were finished, she was very tired. She didn't feel strong enough to walk to Joy. I left her and the cart in the front of the store and I ran to Joy. I wanted to pick her up and get the purchases in front of the store so she would not have to walk.

A man was parked next to Joy, and he saw me run to her. He said, "You don't need that parking space. There is nothing wrong with you."

I was mad at him but I was hurrying because DA was very tired. I didn't say anything.

With love,
~Cat

Cat, you can almost completely eliminate this sort of encounter if you acquire an handicap hangtag for your dashboard rear view mirror. In our state, all that is required to get one is a note from the doctor (in this case DA's doctor) stating that she needs handicap assistance. The note is then taken to the county department of motor vehicles to the office that handles car registrations and they will issue the tag.

The tags have expiration dates in our state but they are good for several years before they have to be renewed and our state does not charge for them.

This then allows us to park in the handicap-designated spaces, as long as the tag is put on the rear view mirror on the dash.

We prefer the hangtag over a license plate because we can move it from one of our vehicles to the other, depending on which one we are driving.

Cat, you can almost completely eliminate this sort of encounter if you acquire an handicap hangtag for your dashboard rear view mirror. In our state, all that is required to get one is a note from the doctor (in this case DA's doctor) stating that she needs handicap assistance. The note is then taken to the county department of motor vehicles to the office that handles car registrations and they will issue the tag.

The tags have expiration dates in our state but they are good for several years before they have to be renewed and our state does not charge for them.

This then allows us to park in the handicap-designated spaces, as long as the tag is put on the rear view mirror on the dash.

We prefer the hangtag over a license plate because we can move it from one of our vehicles to the other, depending on which one we are driving.

I assumed they already had one. Parking in a handicap space without a handicap-designated hangtag or license plate in Virginia carries a $500 fine.

And it won't stop people like that guy who assumed she parked there for herself and not for someone who accompanied her to the store.

I assumed they already had one. Parking in a handicap space without a handicap-designated hangtag or license plate in Virginia carries a $500 fine.

And it won't stop people like that guy who assumed she parked there for herself and not for someone who accompanied her to the store.

Since she didn't state that she had one, I didn't assume she had one so, because she's new to this American stuff, that's one of the reasons I suggested it. Our fines here are not too stiff. Not even $100.

Plus, I said she could "almost" eliminate the problem. There will always be inconsiderate loudmouth creeps who feel it's necessary to editorialize on everyone's behavior. I've been on the receiving end of such remarks.

That's what I was thinking.

In Quebec it costs $16 to get a handicap sticker or hangtag. You also have to have a note from your doctor stating that the handicap will last at least 6 months. That means that when I broke my kneecap and had to walk with a cane, I couldn't get one. So, when I had just limped from the far end of a parking lot and I saw people who walked fine taking handicap spots, I was rather grumpy. I never said anything.

I have been in the situation where someone gave me the evil eye for parking in a handicapped spot. I was driving a handicapped friend. I had driven around looking for a spot near the place we were going and couldn't find one. I dropped off Jeff in front of the cafe and went to look for a parking spot and found a handicapped spot. I had his hangtag, so I took the spot. Another time I couldn't find a nearby spot, so I parked further away and told Jeff to wait in front of the cafe. I had to double park to let him get in the car. A cop car pulled up behind me and started tooting at me, while he was getting in. It takes him a while.

Since she didn't state that she had one, I didn't assume she had one so, because she's new to this American stuff, that's one of the reasons I suggested it. Our fines here are not too stiff. Not even $100.

Plus, I said she could "almost" eliminate the problem. There will always be inconsiderate loudmouth creeps who feel it's necessary to editorialize on everyone's behavior. I've been on the receiving end of such remarks.

I didn't mean you shouldn't have suggested it. Definitely if they don't have one, they should get one. It's free with a doctor's note here, too.

I've been on the receiving end of those remarks, also. Not all disabilities are visible.

I had to wear my wrist brace for about a week and a half. Wrist was fine for about a week, and now I need the brace again. This is really annoying. I was going to make supper, but everything I came up with has too much stirring. It also makes washing dishes (some don't fit in the dishwasher) by hand really annoying. I either have to be careful not to get the brace wet or take it off and be really careful how I move my hand. I'm getting tired of this.

I didn't mean you shouldn't have suggested it. Definitely if they don't have one, they should get one. It's free with a doctor's note here, too.

I've been on the receiving end of those remarks, also. Not all disabilities are visible.

As I recall, Cat mentioned that they already had the handicap tag before she first got Joy. DA had to travel in other cars prior to Joy and Cat driving.

Last edited:
I had to wear my wrist brace for about a week and a half. Wrist was fine for about a week, and now I need the brace again. This is really annoying. I was going to make supper, but everything I came up with has too much stirring. It also makes washing dishes (some don't fit in the dishwasher) by hand really annoying. I either have to be careful not to get the brace wet or take it off and be really careful how I move my hand. I'm getting tired of this.

Drat. I don't blame you, Tax. Hope it hurries up and heals soon!

When I worked doing data entry I had a lot of pain in my hands and wrist. I have been retired since 2010 and the pain has gradually subsided even though I spend a lot of time online. Just not 8 hours a day. I'm sure it was from so much use of the keyboard. It was a lot of tabbing and short bouts of typing rather than straight typing. The company bought wrist supports, which really helped me, but most others didn't like them and ended up throwing them under the work stations so the company got rid of them. Too bad for those few of us who liked them. Either everyone used them or no one got to use them. I use a gel one at home and it really helps.

With love,
~Cat

Cat, I am sorry that you are encountering some of the rude people in the US. That man didn't deserve a reply. Like GG said, not all disabilities are visible, and anyway, it was really none of his business. Best to just pretend you didn't hear him than to argue with him. Hopefully, he saw you go to pick up DA and felt bad for what he said.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom