Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I vote for taking the chance Toffi. Both of you and the child will benefit so much from being together, whether it is for a year or a lifetime. :in_love:

I would rather have a broken heart because I chose to help a child than have one because I didn't.
Well-said Aunt Bea! Like the old saying "better to have love and lost than to never have loved at all". Good luck Toffi!

Please do this, Toffi! I am adopted. I was very sick for a long time but I am well now. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Now I forgot what I wished to vent about. Oh, it doesn't matter now.

With love,
~Cat

Toffiffeezz, are you going public or private? I know its terribly frustrating, but give it a go. You can try looking up RAD and telling the judge that it could impair bonding if you can't shorten the time, or eliminate it altogether. Worth a shot anyway.

PM me. You likely know more than I do about the adoption process, but I've got a friend here in Edmonton who works with adoptive families and she may be able to provide some resources for you in Calgary. Meanwhile, HUGS! You are an amazing person for wanting to adopt.

My vent is minor...my joints are all sore from being tossed about the last two days. Waaaaaa! :(

Please do this, Toffi! I am adopted. I was very sick for a long time but I am well now. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Now I forgot what I wished to vent about. Oh, it doesn't matter now. With love, ~Cat

Hi Cat, I actually thought about you with this situation. It helped us make the decision we did. Every child deserves to be wanted and loved, even if it is for only a short time.

Cat, Alix, Aunt Bea, taxy, CG, Dawg, and Addie, I appreciate your thoughts and input. This has been a difficult decision, but we've made one. We contacted our worker tonight, and said we will proceed forward.

Last edited:
Hi Cat, I actually thought about you with this situation. It helped us make the decision we did. Every child deserves to be wanted and loved, even if it is for only a short time.

Cat, Alix, Aunt Bea, taxy, CG, Dawg, and Addie, I appreciate your thoughts and input. This has been a difficult decision, but we've made one. We contacted our worker tonight, and said we will proceed forward.

Oh I thank you so very, very much! This brings such grateful tears to me. I'm so happy you will go forward of this! Please let us know of all you are doing with this. Please share everything with us!

I'm very humbled that you thought of me. Thank you so very much for this. I had tears for this also.

Toffiffeezz, you, your family, and this precious new one will always be in my thoughts and prayers. We are all here for you, you see.

Please tell us of your progress. I'll be looking for your messages.

With love,
~Cat

I'm updating Kasperski Internet Security. What a pain in the patooty. It kept telling me that the database files were not up to date. Hmmm, I have this on automatic update. I click the button to update now and it starts the download. It finishes and tells me it isn't up to date. I do this several times and then start looking at useless help files. I look at the "knowledge base". It says that for update problems I have to scan the computer. It says to download a rescue disk. I look at the link that says what the rescue disk is. It's for when a computer is so infected that it won't boot properly - not really my case. Sounds a little overkill.

I look at the software and it says it did a scan five hours ago. I scan again. I notice that all the info refers to Kasperski Internet Security 2014 and I have 2013. I look at updating the software (I still have 6 months on my subscription) and it says I am entitled to update the software if my license is still valid, but I will need the key. I look for the key and find it, but I can't copy and paste it. I have to look at 36 character long key and copy it manually. grrr

I downloaded KIS 2014 and am now downloading the new users manual. It's a PDF. They set it up so I have to load the PDF in my browser and then download it. I can't just right click and "save link as". It's big. It took a long time to load the PDF in my browser.

See Cat, Mama Cat and Papa Cat? Now you can understand how we feel about adoption here in North America. Every child should be loved. It should be a law.

Toffi and her husband are willing to start from the beginning with all the risks involved to find a child that can come into their lives. When they first meet that child, there will be instant unconditional love there. There will be support from all directions to help them through the process. That help is there because everyone cares that every child is loved and wanted. Just like you were Cat.

Good luck Toffi. Please do keep us informed. We all are wishing and praying for the very best for you and your husband. :angel:

I'm updating Kasperski Internet Security. What a pain in the patooty. It kept telling me that the database files were not up to date. Hmmm, I have this on automatic update. I click the button to update now and it starts the download. It finishes and tells me it isn't up to date. I do this several times and then start looking at useless help files. I look at the "knowledge base". It says that for update problems I have to scan the computer. It says to download a rescue disk. I look at the link that says what the rescue disk is. It's for when a computer is so infected that it won't boot properly - not really my case. Sounds a little overkill.

I look at the software and it says it did a scan five hours ago. I scan again. I notice that all the info refers to Kasperski Internet Security 2014 and I have 2013. I look at updating the software (I still have 6 months on my subscription) and it says I am entitled to update the software if my license is still valid, but I will need the key. I look for the key and find it, but I can't copy and paste it. I have to look at 36 character long key and copy it manually. grrr

I downloaded KIS 2014 and am now downloading the new users manual. It's a PDF. They set it up so I have to load the PDF in my browser and then download it. I can't just right click and "save link as". It's big. It took a long time to load the PDF in my browser.

Oh, I don't envy you Taxy. When ever I do updates something invariably goes wrong. Either a missing file or I get the message "could not complete download" with no explanation as to why. Thankfully my ISP has McAfee included free.

Oh, I don't envy you Taxy. When ever I do updates something invariably goes wrong. Either a missing file or I get the message "could not complete download" with no explanation as to why. Thankfully my ISP has McAfee included free.
I used Norton a long time ago and at first, I really liked it. Then it started to be a huge memory hog and slowed down my machine. I think there was something else I didn't like. I got McAfee and really liked it for a while. Eventually found it to be too much of a PITA. I used AVG for quite a while. I heard good stuff about Kaspersky from geeky friends. I don't hate it yet. :ermm:

Poo always asks me, "Ma what do you want for......? This year I wanted a cover for my KA. So I went looking. Only Chefs Catalog had them in blue and it was only $19.99. Sears wanted almost $58.00. The prices were all over the place. And one place had it in plastic. What's with that. In six months it would be dry, cracked and brittle. And it cost more than some of the others. The KA site doesn't show the price until you place the order. They will never get my business. :angel:

Poo always asks me, "Ma what do you want for......? This year I wanted a cover for my KA. So I went looking. Only Chefs Catalog had them in blue and it was only $19.99. Sears wanted almost $58.00. The prices were all over the place. And one place had it in plastic. What's with that. In six months it would be dry, cracked and brittle. And it cost more than some of the others. The KA site doesn't show the price until you place the order. They will never get my business. :angel:

It pays to shop around. Rob wanted a book for Christmas, there was a seller on Amazon (not amazon itself) that had it available for $50 used, I got it from a good rated eBay seller for $25 shipped, brand new!

It pays to shop around. Rob wanted a book for Christmas, there was a seller on Amazon (not amazon itself) that had it available for $50 used, I got it from a good rated eBay seller for $25 shipped, brand new!

For most of us Amazon is our first 'go to' site when we are looking for a certain item. I could have sent the information for ordering it through Amazon, but they in turn send the info to Chef's Catalog. Same price. But with a new law in place, my son would have had to pay the sales price for our state. It wouldn't have amounted to much, by why do it the hard way. So instead I went straight to Chef's Catalog and sent the ordering info to my son. Five dollars saved and still in his pocket. :angel:

Needed some time in my Happy Place

My complaints are usually of the "petty" variety, but this one has me really steamed.

Wait, what, what am I doing here? Shouldn't I be sleeping so we can leave for OH tomorrow? Well, grab some wine because I'm gonna whine:

I have tried repeatedly to sign up for health care that starts Jan. 1. No matter which way I've tried to navigate the site I kept hitting a wall. Because I checked all the plans without signing in I know exactly what I want, who I want it from, and how much it will cost. Tried to do an end-around today. When I went to the Fallon website you have the option to apply through a 3rd party, ehealthinsurance.com. Long story short, they can help only those going through the national website. If you have a state connector (MA does) you have to go through the state's website. The one I've been trying to use for over a month! So...on my 2nd "down" I call Fallon directly. Unfortunately, they can sign up only applicants who are buying "Senior Care", the plan for those 65 and up. For the last month I WISH I was 65! Pretty sure I can't claim that age though, even though this process of getting health care has aged me about 3 years. :LOL: "Andrea", my new best friend and the rep I spoke with at Fallon, said my only recourse was to (wait for it)...go through the state's health connector!
th_gaahsmiley.gif
At least this time I was trying to do all this during business hours. In the past I was working on it at night since the traffic on the website was expected to be lighter and it would be easier. Harrumph! On "down" 3, I call the health connector, only to find out the reason I kept getting error messages whenever I was online was because the site could not verify my existence. Huh? MA found me for jury duty! I have to submit a copy of my driver's license, either mail, fax, or in person. Man, if they had told me THAT's why they couldn't continue online, when I got some strange error code that, to Himself (AKA "Mr. Microchip", my tech support extraordinaire) appeared to be a coding error, I could have mailed that copy of my license over a month ago! Instead, to be sure that everything is in order, we will drive the 16 miles to the temporary office and get in line with the great masses that also just learned about why they kept getting error messages.

Plan on leaving for OH Saturday. Unless we're still in line.

Hope I have coverage that has taken effect before I stroke out! :ohmy: :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for listening. I'll play a little longer, then hit the bed. Hope it doesn't hit back.

I am so sorry for the insurance woes that people are going through.

You should have checked out a book from the library, CG and not returned it. They could have found you then!

We went in to town to meet friends for Chinese food. It was really good and we had a good time. When we got home, I discovered that I couldn't find my keys. I checked all through my purse. I hardly ever keep my keys in my purse, but it was worth checking. No luck. I keep keys in my coat pocket.

Car keys, house key, safety deposit key. Dang. The remote for the car is going to be expensive to replace. The safety deposit key won't be cheap. Even replacing the house key will be a PITA, 'cause we have an extra secure lock.

We don't seem to have a spare house key anymore. I do have a valet key for the car and Stirling has a car key, but no remote. I am not a happy camper.

We went in to town to meet friends for Chinese food. It was really good and we had a good time. When we got home, I discovered that I couldn't find my keys. I checked all through my purse. I hardly ever keep my keys in my purse, but it was worth checking. No luck. I keep keys in my coat pocket.

Car keys, house key, safety deposit key. Dang. The remote for the car is going to be expensive to replace. The safety deposit key won't be cheap. Even replacing the house key will be a PITA, 'cause we have an extra secure lock.

We don't seem to have a spare house key anymore. I do have a valet key for the car and Stirling has a car key, but no remote. I am not a happy camper.

Have you called the bus company and the restaurant? Maybe someone found them and turned them in.

About the car key, you can buy them CHEAP on eBay and program them yourself. I did this last summer: $15 for two keys and programming instructions.

Oh Tax, I hate it when this happens. You didn't happen to leave it in the door when you got home?
Well, that's a good place to look, but I couldn't find them when I was going to unlock the door when we got home.
Have you called the bus company and the restaurant? Maybe someone found them and turned them in.

About the car key, you can buy them CHEAP on eBay and program them yourself. I did this last summer: $15 for two keys and programming instructions.
I phoned the resto. I'll phone the public transit lost and found when they are open tomorrow.

Thanks for reminding me about eBay. I think you mentioned that before. But, I still need a key for the ignition. Stirling has one (broken keyless entry part) and I have a valet key. I should be okay until I get replacement. Maybe I'm missing something, but I think the key has to be cut and I think it has to be done by Volvo. This isn't a new car, it's a 2005.

I found instructions at ehow.com on how to program the keyless entry. I am checking on the BrickBoard (Volvo owners forum).

I did get lucky with this. Stirling had planned to go to a party after the dinner. When we were heading to the metro (Montreal's subway system), he decided to come home with me. If he hadn't, I would have been locked out, in the cold and snow. He would have had to rush home and still missed the party. It would have taken him at least an hour to get home and maybe longer because of the weather.

Thanks for reminding me about eBay. I think you mentioned that before. But, I still need a key for the ignition. Stirling has one (broken keyless entry part) and I have a valet key. I should be okay until I get replacement. Maybe I'm missing something, but I think the key has to be cut and I think it has to be done by Volvo. This isn't a new car, it's a 2005.

I'm not sure what a valet key is. My remote entry key unlocks the vehicle and starts the engine. I don't know if its different with Volvo. Mine is a 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid.

I'm glad you didn't get stuck outside!

Back
Top Bottom