Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Words to be Banished from the Queen's English for Misuse, Overuse and General Uselessness

'Selfie' leads list of banished words for 2013

Michigan's Lake Superior State University.[...]consider pet peeves from everyday speech, as well as from the news, fields of education, technology, advertising, politics and more. A committee made a final cut in late December.

"Selfie" was first on the list.

Other words on this year's list include:

• Twerk/Twerking

• Hashtag

• Twittersphere

• Any word ending in -ageddon

• Obamacare

I'm a great fan of Edwin Newman, y'know. :cool:
Mr. Newman was right, y’know? | HoumaToday.com

I like this list .. could add a few more to it though!

When my brother and his wife traveled they always had to get two motel rooms because of his snoring.

We would do that but we're too cheap! ;-) Himself snores like a jet engine revving. When he had back surgery in 2001 I slept in the guest room until he healed, then went back to the king bed with him. In 2003 he broke his collarbone when he took a spill on his motorcycle. Back to the guest room until he healed again, then back to the king bed. The second time he broke his collarbone in 2005 (the other one to keep it even) I moved to the guest room...and never went back. I figured I had been sleeping best when alone. And honestly speaking, why bother staying in the bed together once one of you is asleep? ;-)

We had a king size bed. Then we moved into this house. The movers could not get the mattress up through the stairwell so they "folded" my king size mattress :ohmy:

The end result was a trashed mattress :(...
Oh I can relate! When we moved to MA we came with brand new Original Mattress Company king and double mattresses, wrapped fresh from the factory. They make the king size hinged specifically so if can be folded. Unfortunately the movers were up the stairs before I knew it was off the truck. We spent three years rolling towards each other until we broke down and bought a new one from up here.

We thought we had a year to file a damage report and were taking our time going over everything with a fine look. Turns out we had seven months. Found that out around month eight.

We would do that but we're too cheap! ;-) Himself snores like a jet engine revving. When he had back surgery in 2001 I slept in the guest room until he healed, then went back to the king bed with him. In 2003 he broke his collarbone when he took a spill on his motorcycle. Back to the guest room until he healed again, then back to the king bed. The second time he broke his collarbone in 2005 (the other one to keep it even) I moved to the guest room...and never went back. I figured I had been sleeping best when alone. And honestly speaking, why bother staying in the bed together once one of you is asleep? ;-)

I but those silicone ear plugs that swimmers use, regular ear plugs fall out of my ear, heck I can't even wear ear bud headphones. These ear plugs muffle the snoring enough so that I can sleep.

Himself's snoring makes it through Mack's earplugs. I use them all the time but I still hear him in the hotel room. I use them at home so I don't hear the neighbor's dogs at 7AM

I read the symptoms of depression posted by cave and also googled and other than waking up in the middle of the night the only one I have is lack of concentration, and I blame that on the lack of sleep. Since I'm retired, I don't need to concentrate on anything anyway. Otherwise, I am a very optimistic, happy go lucky individual.

If Shrek stops snoring it wakes me up...I don't snore anymore since I quit smoking. Both of us are happy!

I was about to get ready to go pick up my replacement car key. I got a visual migraine (only a mild headache at the moment). I don't think it's such a good idea to drive when I can't see straight.

I phoned the garage to ask if they are open tomorrow and if they have time to program the key tomorrow. They said yes. They are only open from 09h to 12h on Saturdays. I asked how late I could come today, if the migraine goes away and was told not to. They are closing early. I guess it's hard to heat the garage to a reasonable temperature in which to work with the temps we are having: predicted high for today: -20°C (-4°F).

I want that danged key.

No luck with your old keys, Taxy? Bummer!
I don't have the old key. That's the problem. I lost them on 21 December, while taking public transit. I'm on hold right now, waiting to talk to someone at the lost and found of public transit.

I also have to go back to the locksmith. I had new house keys made and they don't work.

First thing after waking up I hear a "BANG", don't think much of it because I'm shaving with an electric razor, and the bathroom fan is on. Then I hear commotion and think "do the neighbors not realize that it is 6:30 am?" Look out the window and there is a Ford Expedition planted firmly in my car's backside, UGH!

We live in a townhome and have a parking lot. Our neighbor's son goes to a special school and his transportation was here to pick him up (it's a transportation company). As he was pulling out, his accelerator got stuck and he rammed my car.

I feel bad for anyone that drives for a living and has an accident. I guess that if his accelerator got stuck that it was better to happen here when there was nobody around than having it happen at the school as he was dropping off kids!

First fender bender and I wasn't even in the car!

I am sitting here nursing The Pirate. They sent him home with the Flu. He was so sick last night he didn't even care that the new season for Dowton Abby was on.

He is so sick. Has the chills really bad. I had the house up to 80 degrees and he was so cold. Couldn't get him bundled up enough, then it was too much. Wanted the fan on him. This is not going to be fun. All I want is patience! :angel:

First thing after waking up I hear a "BANG", don't think much of it because I'm shaving with an electric razor, and the bathroom fan is on. Then I hear commotion and think "do the neighbors not realize that it is 6:30 am?" Look out the window and there is a Ford Expedition planted firmly in my car's backside, UGH!

We live in a townhome and have a parking lot. Our neighbor's son goes to a special school and his transportation was here to pick him up (it's a transportation company). As he was pulling out, his accelerator got stuck and he rammed my car.

I feel bad for anyone that drives for a living and has an accident. I guess that if his accelerator got stuck that it was better to happen here when there was nobody around than having it happen at the school as he was dropping off kids!

First fender bender and I wasn't even in the car!
Bummer! How badly was your car damaged?

I am sitting here nursing The Pirate. They sent him home with the Flu. He was so sick last night he didn't even care that the new season for Dowton Abby was on.

He is so sick. Has the chills really bad. I had the house up to 80 degrees and he was so cold. Couldn't get him bundled up enough, then it was too much. Wanted the fan on him. This is not going to be fun. All I want is patience! :angel:
Oh no! I'll wish you lots of patience. I hope The Pirate gets well soon.
:angel: and one for The Pirate :angel:

Hope the Pirate gets well soon. It sounds as though he is much sicker than I am. Today I feel relatively well. I had an occasional elevated temp, but no chills. I made some chicken soup today, wish I could send some to him!

Terrible bakechef! Glad it was the car and not you!

Addie, hope the Pirate feels better soon. The flu is really hitting hard this year! I'm hoping I miss the season at work while I am off.

bakechef, i envy the compassion you have for a man who has just rammed your car. i am astounded at your ability to feel concern for the driver's job security before thinking of the sudden disruption to your own life, the inconvenience of having to deal with your vehicle, insurance adjusters, etc., etc. if i ever cause an accident with my car, i can only hope that it is with someone like you, who is level-headed, understanding and treats me with kindness--someone to put the event quietly to rest in a 'petty vents' thread....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom