Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now let's not diagnose the poor lady simply because she whapped off a couple mirrors. Vans are big and unwieldly to drive.
She bought the van so she can pick up our 3 grandkids from preschool every afternoon but now after this latest incident she doesn't trust herself driving the van and wants to trade the van for something smaller....

She bought the van so she can pick up our 3 grandkids from preschool every afternoon but now after this latest incident she doesn't trust herself driving the van and wants to trade the van for something smaller....

I don't blame her. I would too.

Last edited:

A moderately sized SUV could fill the bill without being so bulky.

We're down to one car and it doesn't even belong to either one of us, :LOL:

Rob calls me today and says, I need you to take my car for a drive, it's grinding when I step on the brakes... I said, "umm, no, I'm not a mechanic, call your mechanic and see if you can drop it off tonight". So we're down to the rental car from the fender bender incident a week and a half ago. Good news is, my car should be ready tomorrow, bad news, I have to leave work early (get there late after taking him to work), drive to the body shop and wrap up that transaction to get the keys, drive across town during rush hour to pay for his car's repair bill before they close. Try to return the rental, pick up Rob, drive back across town to get his car. I have to cancel physical therapy unless I can figure out how to be in two places at once...

The rental should be yours until you are able to pick up your car...
I agree, but he is dealing with an insurance company.

When my car was rear-ended, I got a rental car. As soon as it was determined that the car was a write off, they stopped paying for my rental car. I had to take the bus to go test drive a replacement vehicle. :ermm: :mad:

We're down to one car and it doesn't even belong to either one of us, :LOL:

Rob calls me today and says, I need you to take my car for a drive, it's grinding when I step on the brakes... I said, "umm, no, I'm not a mechanic, call your mechanic and see if you can drop it off tonight". So we're down to the rental car from the fender bender incident a week and a half ago. Good news is, my car should be ready tomorrow, bad news, I have to leave work early (get there late after taking him to work), drive to the body shop and wrap up that transaction to get the keys, drive across town during rush hour to pay for his car's repair bill before they close. Try to return the rental, pick up Rob, drive back across town to get his car. I have to cancel physical therapy unless I can figure out how to be in two places at once...

Your post reminds me of this old brain teaser! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

A man has to get a fox, a chicken, and a sack of corn across a river.
He has a rowboat, and it can only carry him and one other thing.
If the fox and the chicken are left together, the fox will eat the chicken.
If the chicken and the corn are left together, the chicken will eat the corn.
How does the man do it?

The answer:
The man and the chicken cross the river, (the fox and corn are safe together), he leaves the chicken on the other side and goes back across.
The man then takes the fox across the river, and since he can't leave the fox and chicken together, he brings the chicken back.
Again, since the chicken and corn can't be left together, he leaves the chicken and he takes the corn across and leaves it with the fox.
He then returns to pick up the chicken and heads across the river one last time.

The rental should be yours until you are able to pick up your car...

Yeah, I'm thinking of just taking it back saturday morning instead of trying to fit it in tomorrow. Luckily the body shop and rental place are very close to home.

I miss my little car, although the rental is quite nice, there is something about having your own car!

Your post reminds me of this old brain teaser! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

A man has to get a fox, a chicken, and a sack of corn across a river.
He has a rowboat, and it can only carry him and one other thing.
If the fox and the chicken are left together, the fox will eat the chicken.
If the chicken and the corn are left together, the chicken will eat the corn.
How does the man do it?

The answer:
The man and the chicken cross the river, (the fox and corn are safe together), he leaves the chicken on the other side and goes back across.
The man then takes the fox across the river, and since he can't leave the fox and chicken together, he brings the chicken back.
Again, since the chicken and corn can't be left together, he leaves the chicken and he takes the corn across and leaves it with the fox.
He then returns to pick up the chicken and heads across the river one last time.

Yeah that about sums up my afternoon tomorrow, :LOL:

Yeah, I'm thinking of just taking it back saturday morning instead of trying to fit it in tomorrow. Luckily the body shop and rental place are very close to home.

I miss my little car, although the rental is quite nice, there is something about having your own car!

That's what we did, just told the insurance company it was an impossibility to pick up the fixed car until the next day because of prior commitments. They footed the extra day.

Oooh....that gritty, grinding noise. I hate that. Sounds like the rotors need to be turned...

Well considering that the car is 10 years old and these are the original rotors, pads etc... I guess that it's about time! It's 10 years old with 70,000 miles on it, it's nice living close to work!

This was the second time in 5 weeks that my wife has taken out the passenger side mirror of her 2013 Toyota van. Exact same damage....slapped into something...l
Those vans don't have hinged mirrors?? :huh: I've had two different Dodge Caravans, 1996 and 2003. They both had hinges on both the driver and passenger door mirrors. Something as simple as cutting in too close when pulling into the garage or clipping a garbage cart that rolled into the street would push it back. Not so loose that it would move it you just bumped it. Even my 2012 Hyundai Sonata has hinged mirrors, but they're real bears to move.

She has owned 3 different SUV's prior to this van purchase last year...
Maybe it will just take her a little longer to get used to the outer perimeter of the car? I hope she learns real soon! Go gently on her after you fix the mirror the second time. ;)

RF, have you sat in the vehicle with her and keeping your mouth SHUT so not to make her nervous, watch what she does to see if you can spot the problem with her driving? I know it is hard for another driver to just sit there and watch someone make a serious mistake while not saying a word. :angel:

... Have her see an ophthalmologist, not an optometrist. :angel:................................

...........Not all states in this country allow optometrists to diagnosis. Only to examine and prescribe corrective lens and frames.
Actually, optometrists can diagnose. Here in MA an optometrist can even prescribe some medications. If they see a cataract they can call it a cataract, they just can't treat the cataract. They have to refer the patient on to an ophthalmologist. Ophthalmology is just another medical discipline, like OB/GYN or cardiologist.

Heck, nowadays PAs and NPs can do so many things that were once the domain of doctors only.

Actually, optometrists can diagnose. Here in MA an optometrist can even prescribe some medications. If they see a cataract they can call it a cataract, they just can't treat the cataract. They have to refer the patient on to an ophthalmologist. Ophthalmology is just another medical discipline, like OB/GYN or cardiologist.

Heck, nowadays PAs and NPs can do so many things that were once the domain of doctors only.

I didn't mention any specific state. I know what an optometrist can and can not do here in Massachusetts. I have been wearing glasses for 70+ years. So I am aware of that fact. And I do know the difference between an optometrist and ophthalmologist. I may be up there in years and long in the tooth, but I still have all my faculties. :angel:

Didn't mean to get your knickers in a twist Addie. My main point is that it is acceptable for an optometrist to recognize any medical condition that is required to be treated by an eye MD. If my optometrist sees that I have a cataract he isn't required to say "I think you need to see a doctor about your left eye". He can tell me he suspects I might have a cataract and that I need to see an ophthalmologist for a more complete diagnosis and any possible treatment.

Nothing gets my dander up quicker than if you attack one of my children or say or do something that makes me look stupid. Apology accepted with grace (I hope). Thank you for understanding. :angel:

Didn't mean to get your knickers in a twist Addie. My main point is that it is acceptable for an optometrist to recognize any medical condition that is required to be treated by an eye MD. If my optometrist sees that I have a cataract he isn't required to say "I think you need to see a doctor about your left eye". He can tell me he suspects I might have a cataract and that I need to see an ophthalmologist for a more complete diagnosis and any possible treatment.
Yeah, here in Quebec, I need a referral to see an ophthalmologist. I can get one from an optometrist.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom