Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was referring to young children, up to five or six years old. As far as the hats; I always bought hats that tied on and I did the tying. Tie it into a bow and then tie the bow again. Hats stayed on. I didn't have to much trouble with the girls. They were always getting earaches, so they knew the consequences of not wear their hat. Then when Poo came along he had the same problem and more often than not opted to stay in rather than bring on an earache. He got to the point that he wouldn't even tell me if he had one. He would just go and get the drops and take care of it himself. That kid was born to practice medicine. :angel:

I think it's genetic. I only enough to keep the wind off of my bare skin. As I moved around (I was like the EverReady bunny, never stayed still), I rapidly overheated. I still do. I go out to shovel with a coat, a hat, gloves, and warm boots on. 5 minutes into the shoveling, I lose the hat. The a few minutes later, the gloves gotta go. Ten minutes or so after that, the coat is opened up. Half the time, the coat gets laid on the car trunk before I'm done. Mind you, it's usually snowing like crazy, with temps in the single digits when I'm shoveling. I used to take short snowmobile rides in blue jeans and a tea shirt.

My kids are the same way. And none of them stood still long enough for their body heat to be absorbed by the cold air. It seems that their children are the same as well. Some of us just generate lots of internal heat. I guess you could say that in my family, we're "hot stuff".:LOL::rolleyes: That I roll is preemptive, so P.A.G. doesn't have to.;)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Addie;1347564 As far as the hats; I always bought hats that tied on and I did the tying. Tie it into a bow and then tie the bow again. Hats stayed on. I didn't have to much trouble with the girls. They were always getting earaches said:
Addie---- Your children must have been much more compliant than my daughter. Too bad we can't travel back in time and I could lend you my daughter and let you see how 'the other kind' works. :)

She was a fairly well behaved daughter mostly. Just had a mind of her own from the git-go and hats on the head wasn't her idea of what she wanted! I swear she was the daughter of Houdini!

I was a stay-at-home mom during her early years and we would go to a local lake to sun-bathe, dabble in the water. I watched with amazement when another woman brought her same age daughter to the beach. Spread a large beach towel. Plopped her on the towel, gave her a few toys and that kid stayed put! I swear there was Crazy Glue on her bum!

My daughter in the meantime was going up and down the beach, collecting old cigarette butts, going a bit too far out in the water (I always kept an eye on her and brought her back), talking to young couples who would have rather not having a 2-3 year old kid talking to them (!) and in general having just a heck of a good time.

If I had had children as compliant as yours I might have had more than one.
;)

I think it's genetic. I only enough to keep the wind off of my bare skin. As I moved around (I was like the EverReady bunny, never stayed still), I rapidly overheated. I still do. I go out to shovel with a coat, a hat, gloves, and warm boots on. 5 minutes into the shoveling, I lose the hat. The a few minutes later, the gloves gotta go. Ten minutes or so after that, the coat is opened up. Half the time, the coat gets laid on the car trunk before I'm done. Mind you, it's usually snowing like crazy, with temps in the single digits when I'm shoveling. I used to take short snowmobile rides in blue jeans and a tea shirt.

My kids are the same way. And none of them stood still long enough for their body heat to be absorbed by the cold air. It seems that their children are the same as well. Some of us just generate lots of internal heat. I guess you could say that in my family, we're "hot stuff".:LOL::rolleyes: That I roll is preemptive, so P.A.G. doesn't have to.;)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I rolled my eyes anyway.

A very dear lady, who has always referred to me as her 4 1/2 daughter, passed away last Thursday. She is the Mom of my best friend from grade 8 on. I was between my friend and her younger sister (no. 5) in age. She sent me a birthday card last October, which she hasn't done in years, and I called to say thank you. We had a short but delightful talk.

My vent is that my van has bald tires and I am still not well enough to handle transit so I am not able to go to the family graveside service tomorrow morning. If there was no snow or chance of rain I would probably take the van, but with the current weather TB doesn't want me to risk it. I have to go over a major bridge just at the tail end of rush hour.

We can't go anywhere but East without crossing a bridge :(

A very dear lady, who has always referred to me as her 4 1/2 daughter, passed away last Thursday. She is the Mom of my best friend from grade 8 on. I was between my friend and her younger sister (no. 5) in age. She sent me a birthday card last October, which she hasn't done in years, and I called to say thank you. We had a short but delightful talk.

My vent is that my van has bald tires and I am still not well enough to handle transit so I am not able to go to the family graveside service tomorrow morning. If there was no snow or chance of rain I would probably take the van, but with the current weather TB doesn't want me to risk it. I have to go over a major bridge just at the tail end of rush hour.

We can't go anywhere but East without crossing a bridge :(

She knows you would be there if you could. She's looking down on you, saying; "Don't fret child. I'll be seeing you one of these days. I'll have a place set for you at the table, and we'll talk, and eat, and remember good times."

I know of no one more loving, or considerate than you. How could it be otherwise?

Seeeeeeya' Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks, friends. I know Mom M is looking down at all of us and I will be seeing her someday, I just really wanted to be part of the family and they wanted me to be there.

I called my friend and she understood completely. I was going for my sake, but also for hers. She and her Mom were close but not as close as she was to her Dad and she feels awkward in public situations. She really was dreading today and I was going to be there for her to lean on. I was relieved to find out that at the last minute her hubby was able to get the day off and go with her. He is a rock.

I think I am also grieving that no matter what measures are taken to improve my health, I am always going to have to be aware of it and it will get in my way some times. I just need to do the best I can to get my strength and immune system closer to normal.

So we got this letter with our water bill yesterday.

It says:

"Our water system recently violated the maximum contaminant level (MCL) for TTHM. The average level of TTHM over the last four quarters was 0.089 MG/L. The standard for TTHM is 0.080 MG/L.

The levels detected do not pose an immediate risk to your health.

For more information contact: Superintendant of Utilities."

Now what gets me about this is that the samples were taken between April 2013 and January 2014 .. why did they wait so long to notify us?

Gets my goat that they have apparently known but did not bother to inform. Also what the heck does it mean there is no immediate risk to our health? And just try to contact the superintendant .. voice mail ... it is all just so danged wrong ! :(

Last edited:

It says:

"Our water system recently violated the maximum contaminant level (MCL) for TTHM. The average level of TTHM over the last four quarters was 0.089 MG/L. The standard for TTHM is 0.080 MG/L.

Now what gets me about this is that the samples were taken between April 2013 and January 2014 .. why did they wait so long to notify us?

Gets my goat that they have apparently known but did not bother to inform. Also what the heck does it mean there is no immediate risk to our health? And just try to contact the superintendant .. voice mail ... it is all just so danged wrong ! :(

Could that over-disinfection have been because of the West Virginia chemical spill?I don't know where you live in OH but the Ohio River and probably some tributaries were affected by it.

It says:

TTHM raises your risk for some diseases, but it's not like a microbe that would probably make you sick right away.

From West Virginia University

"What are the health effects of THMs?
According to a University of Florida report, exposure to THMs may pose an increased risk of cancer. According to Rebekah Grossman, two THMs, chloroform and dibromochloromethane, are carcinogens; and another THM, bromodichloromethane, has been identified as a mutagen, which alters DNA. Mutagens are considered to affect the genetics of future generations in addition to being carcinogenic. A California study indicates that THMs may be responsible for reproductive problems and miscarriage. The study found a miscarriage rate of 15.7 percent for women who drank five or more glasses of cold water containing more than 0.075 mg/l TTHM, compared to a miscarriage rate of 9.5 percent for women with low TTHM exposure. In addition to these risks, TTHMs are linked to bladder cancer, heart, lungs, kidney, liver, and central nervous system damage."

Great info Tax .. ty !

Would have been nice if they had included something intelligent in the letter they sent to everyone ... so many people are really upset right now thinking they are all going to die .. geez .. this is a town of mainly elderly people and many do not have internet access to get info.

They are saying that decaying leaves got into the water and caused this.

Whatever it was ... I still say they really should be keeping us informed in real time .. not 9 months after they first detected the problem.

Thanks again for that info .. printed and taking it to a couple of my neighbors.

Great info Tax .. ty !

Would have been nice if they had included something intelligent in the letter they sent to everyone ... so many people are really upset right now thinking they are all going to die .. geez .. this is a town of mainly elderly people and many do not have internet access to get info.

They are saying that decaying leaves got into the water and caused this.

Whatever it was ... I still say they really should be keeping us informed in real time .. not 9 months after they first detected the problem.

Thanks again for that info .. printed and taking it to a couple of my neighbors.
From what I read, decaying leaves wouldn't do that. If they added extra chlorine to the water because of the decaying leaves, that could have caused it.

Well, the elderly don't have to worry about themselves being affected by the mutagenic problems or the increased miscarriages. :rolleyes:

Recently our water authority had an issue with something found in one of the filters at the processing plant. I don't recall what it was. Some people were notified with a do not drink order, most were not. It got around by word of mouth and a few days had passed before some even heard about it. Me, for instance. Finally an article in the paper said that it did not effect the water supply because they caught it in time. But they were fined for not handling the notification properly. I usually drink bottled water, but I do cook with our tap water. Never had a problem.

Well, the elderly don't have to worry about themselves being affected by the mutagenic problems or the increased miscarriages. :rolleyes:

The couple of people I gave that too had a good laugh and appreciated the information.

I usually drink bottled water, but I do cook with our tap water. Never had a problem.

I have been drinking bottled water since the early 70's when I got really sick from tap water that was not properly treated where I lived in Sacramento.

We got a Pur water filter that I use but still can not bring myself to drink from the tap. And probably a good thing since our house was built in 1927 and most of it is still original.

I do cook with tap water if it gets boiled. If not I use filtered water. I even give my dogs drink filtered water.

After CT scan doctor told me that I have two stones, 4 and 6 mm, stock somewhere in urethra (I think that is what he said it's called) If I do not pass them in 3 weeks, I will have to have surgery. In the mean time I'm in pain, not terrible, but it hurts. I'm not sure though what is worse to pass 6 mm (almost a 1/4 inc) rock or have the surgery. :ohmy: :(

After CT scan doctor told me that I have two stones, 4 and 6 mm, stock somewhere in urethra (I think that is what he said it's called) If I do not pass them in 3 weeks, I will have to have surgery. In the mean time I'm in pain, not terrible, but it hurts. I'm not sure though what is worse to pass 6 mm (almost a 1/4 inc) rock or have the surgery. :ohmy: :(

Gah! That sounds terrible, Charlie. Drink plenty of cranberry juice and water, sure hope you can pass them on your own. Stones are horribly painful, DH had kidney stones years ago, and he doesn't handle "regular" pain well. It was torture for both of us.

On the subject of hairless cats, I am about to take a sticky lint brush to mine.

Monkey got up on the counter where I had a bowl of just made gluten free muffin flour mix. I make it up and divide it into 12 x 1 dozen packs so I have it on hand. Well I turned to get the bags and she jumped up and tipped over the whole bowl - all over the counter, sink, floor, me and her. She is covered in the stuff and tries to lick it but it only makes it worse and she hates the taste.

Worst of all, she doesn't want me to catch her so she runs and jumps all over, sending yet more flour flying.

I love my cat, I love my cat, I .... :ermm:

Gosh, Charlie - that's awful. Maybe the cranberry juice would chase them out. I hope so. Got any vodka?

Re the floury kitty -- I guess I know why this is not posted in 'the last thing that made you smile.'

Now if you had one of those hairless jobs...just hose it down.

Back
Top Bottom