Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Arrggh. I am scrupulous about checking pockets for kleenex before laundering. However, somehow I missed one. Shreds of kleenex all over everything. Thankfully, this was a load of lights, it usually happens when I do darks. I need a pre-laundry kleenex detector.

Last edited:
Good deal. I have arthritis in my right index finger. I have this cycle where the inflammation will flare and instead of treating it, I just compensate with the other fingers, which eventually throws things off and then they're inflamed too, until finally my whole hand hurts. Last spring I got to a point where I couldn't open a jar of peanut butter with that hand. Spent last summer in PT for it and now I'm back to just the one finger and it's manageable. I'm trying to keep my hand strength up and the inflammation down this time so I can keep it in just that finger for a while! I'm really not excited for what that hand will feel like in 30 years or so.

I didn't know you had problems with a finger. I knew you had other issues though. Just know that my prayers go out for you daily.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Good deal. I have arthritis in my right index finger. I have this cycle where the inflammation will flare and instead of treating it, I just compensate with the other fingers, which eventually throws things off and then they're inflamed too, until finally my whole hand hurts. Last spring I got to a point where I couldn't open a jar of peanut butter with that hand. Spent last summer in PT for it and now I'm back to just the one finger and it's manageable. I'm trying to keep my hand strength up and the inflammation down this time so I can keep it in just that finger for a while! I'm really not excited for what that hand will feel like in 30 years or so.

I'm going to see if the therapists have anyone getting paraffin treatment. If they do they will let me dip my hands while they have it going.

Amazing how much pain you can handle and then one day it's just too much.

Amazon is the next best thing to sliced bread. I use then a lot for mundane things as well as self indulgent things. I bought a large package of vacuum cleaner bags recently after having spent a half a day and way too much gas going across the island, fighting traffic, trying to find them at a local Sears store. They were all out. What a waste of time that was.
You can also find commonly replaced appliance parts on Amazon. And these are parts stocked at Amazon's warehouses and do not come from third party merchants. In the past few months I've replaced a defrost timer and defrost thermostat on my fridge, also parts for my clothes dryer. They are much cheaper than on-line appliance parts sites or your Sears/Kenmore/Whirlpool or whatever local parts centers.

If there was a Petty Vent ever, emphasis on "Petty", there is one. It's my daughters big birthday this Sunday and I have to cook, but i so do not feel like it. I have a stupid cold and it is just, well, petty that I have to have it right now. :)

Last edited:
Arrggh. I am scrupulous about checking pockets for kleenex before laundering. However, somehow I missed one. Shreds of kleenex all over everything. Thankfully, this was a load of lights, it usually happens when I do darks. I need a pre-laundry kleenex detector.

I think every pocket I have in all my clothing has a Kleenex in it just waiting to go in the washer. I just tell myself I am helping to keep the environment clean of my germs. Then I shake off all the little pieces of Kleenex. Then my house looks like a snow storm hit it. :angel:

If there was a Petty Vent ever, emphasis on "Petty", there is one. It's my daughters big birthday this Sunday and I have to cook, but i so do not feel like it. I have a stupid cold and it is just, well, petty that I have to have it right now. :)

Is she going to be 13 Charlie? That indeed is a big day for her. More questions Charlie. Can the 13th birthday be celebrated a week or so later or does it have to be right on the day? I know it is a BIG day for the boys, but do most Jewish families celebrate it as much for the girls? I feel sorry for the families that have only girls. :angel:

You can also find commonly replaced appliance parts on Amazon.

Yes! Also have a TV that is a dinosaur and the remote control gave out. Seriously, replacement remotes dot com or something similar. I had a new remote within a week. That dinosaur just keeps on going.

Is she going to be 13 Charlie? That indeed is a big day for her. More questions Charlie. Can the 13th birthday be celebrated a week or so later or does it have to be right on the day? I know it is a BIG day for the boys, but do most Jewish families celebrate it as much for the girls? I feel sorry for the families that have only girls. :angel:

I guess you haven't heard of the bat mitzvah: http://www.myjewishlearning.com/life/Life_Events/BarBat_Mitzvah/BarBat_Mitzvah_101.shtml

You can also find commonly replaced appliance parts on Amazon. And these are parts stocked at Amazon's warehouses and do not come from third party merchants. In the past few months I've replaced a defrost timer and defrost thermostat on my fridge, also parts for my clothes dryer. They are much cheaper than on-line appliance parts sites or your Sears/Kenmore/Whirlpool or whatever local parts centers.

You not only fix roads, but also appliances!

I think every pocket I have in all my clothing has a Kleenex in it just waiting to go in the washer. I just tell myself I am helping to keep the environment clean of my germs. Then I shake off all the little pieces of Kleenex. Then my house looks like a snow storm hit it. :angel:

Ah, but nothing can compare to the joy of finding that Kleenex in your pocket when you really, really need one. Yes, allergy season has begun down here.

I didn't know you had problems with a finger. I knew you had other issues though. Just know that my prayers go out for you daily.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

You've never seen my crazy crooked finger? It started with an injury during a wrestling match Junior year and by freshman year of college I was told it had turned into arthritis. It's usually tolerable, but gets pretty sore if it gets abused or if my hands get too cold. If it's already bugging me a little, it gets really sore with sudden weather changes.

Ah, but nothing can compare to the joy of finding that Kleenex in your pocket when you really, really need one. Yes, allergy season has begun down here.

Exactly, the Joy of Kleenex. Can't live without 'em. Panic sets in when I can't find one on me.

You've never seen my crazy crooked finger? It started with an injury during a wrestling match Junior year and by freshman year of college I was told it had turned into arthritis. It's usually tolerable, but gets pretty sore if it gets abused or if my hands get too cold. If it's already bugging me a little, it gets really sore with sudden weather changes.

Sprout, you wrestled in HS? Good for you! Or was it with a boyfriend?

Sprout, you wrestled in HS? Good for you! Or was it with a boyfriend?

I could tell you stories. But I'll be a good Dad for a change and keep my lips sealed.:angel:

And Sprout, nope, never knew about the finger. With as much attention as I paid to all of you during those years, I really don't understand how I could have missed that one.:ohmy:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Apparently I either need to wear a HazMat suit or bathe myself in Beagle's Frontline Plus. Was out in the yard cleaning out the flower beds, came in and found yet ANOTHER tick under my clothes! My second so far this spring, and we've only had 2 days of nice weather! DH, Beagle and I have all had ticks on us so far. And these are the little (probably) deer ticks. Beagle has been Frontlined, as has the couch and carpet as she hates it, but I still wish there was something that would work on people. I sure wouldn't wipe it off on the couch or carpet. End of rant.

Apparently I either need to wear a HazMat suit or bathe myself in Beagle's Frontline Plus. Was out in the yard cleaning out the flower beds, came in and found yet ANOTHER tick under my clothes! My second so far this spring, and we've only had 2 days of nice weather! DH, Beagle and I have all had ticks on us so far. And these are the little (probably) deer ticks. Beagle has been Frontlined, as has the couch and carpet as she hates it, but I still wish there was something that would work on people. I sure wouldn't wipe it off on the couch or carpet. End of rant.
Oh dear!

from Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases: Information for healthcare professionals - Lyme Disease - Public Health Agency of Canada

Prevention

There is no vaccine for Lyme disease. The best way to avoid Lyme disease is to protect against tick bites. Health professionals should advise their patients to take the following measures:

• If there are ticks in your area, cover up if you think you might be exposed to them. Wear closed-toe shoes, long-sleeved shirts and pants. Pulling your socks over your pant legs prevents ticks crawling up your legs. Light-coloured clothing makes spotting ticks easier.
  • Use insect repellents that contain DEET (concentration between 20-30%) or Icaridin. Repellents can be applied to clothing as well as exposed skin. Always read and follow label directions.
  • Shower or bathe within two hours of being outdoors. Daily “full body” checks for ticks should be performed: ticks attach themselves to the skin so they can be found and removed, which usually prevents infection if this is done early enough (within 24-48 hours). Be sure to check children and pets for ticks as well.

Even after bathing, they don't go away! Isn't it something that there's no vaccine or preventative? And who wants to spend their time outside on a beautiful 76°F or higher day in a HazMat suit. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom