Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well the teachers are officially on strike and the school year is officially out for the year. The talks went through the weekend but the two sides and the facilitator were all on different pages.

Parents have had to make hasty daycare arrangements, high school students are still unsure of their provincial exams and placements for special needs students in September are in jeopardy because they are set up now.

We're really sad tonight. Our neighbors suffered a serious house fire. There are 8 of them, and we don't know what to do to help.

The news story spoke of just one kitten, but my sweet hubby caught all three and they are in a huge dog cage in our guestroom for now. They are just adorable!

We saw the adult cats in their yard, so I took them food and water. It looks like all the cats are safe, too.

I'm so sorry to say they lost their parakeet in the fire. Hubby hopes to see them tomorrow to let them know we're taking care of the cats and kittens. He will ask them how we can help them. There are 8 of them and we don't have room for all of them but we might just have to be crowded here and handle it.

We may just have to give up our bed and buy a lot of air mattresses. I just don't know yet. Somehow, someway, we MUST help them.

We'll figure it out. Here are the news items:

Henderson County House Fire - WLOS News13 - Top Stories

And here, too:

Morning fire destroys Hendersonville home | BlueRidgeNow.com

It shows the address as 202 Fairfield Drive, we are 210 Fairfield Drive.

I cried when I saw their poor little house so badly damaged. Cat told me many of you have kept her in your thoughts, and I appreciate this; sometimes she really did need our thoughts.

Would it be too much to ask to keep the Hernandez family in your thoughts? This is really awful; from looking at this, it's such an awful tragedy.

We're going to try to do everything we can to help them. I don't know what will happen, but we will take it one step at a time.

I am still in tears. They are such a sweet family, and this is just awful.

Thank you for listening. This is devastating to us.

What a terrible tragedy. Bless you for taking care of the pets, and for being such good friends and neighbors.

What a terrible tragedy. Bless you for taking care of the pets, and for being such good friends and neighbors.

Thank you! We don't know them very well, but we don't care about that. They've lost their home and we feel very badly..and now we need to figure out how we can help them.

We'll figure it out. Thanks for letting me be so angry and hurt here.

Thank you! We don't know them very well, but we don't care about that. They've lost their home and we feel very badly..and now we need to figure out how we can help them.

We'll figure it out. Thanks for letting me be so angry and hurt here.

I'm so sorry to hear about this. Call the Red Cross right away. Taking care of people in this kind of situation is what they're there for. Best wishes.

The Red Cross has given them hotel rooms, and things are moving quickly. I'm glad to say Allstate was there on Wednesday, and First Restoration, a company which cleans and rebuilds fire damage has been there yesterday and today working on the house.

Our neighbors and I have been leaving bags of groceries, non-perishible items on their front stoop, and they're very grateful. We're feeding their adult cats there, and we've taken in the three kittens.

My five adult cats are having hissy fits because they know there's kittens in the guest room, although the door is closed. The kittens are weaned, but we felt they're too young to be outside for now. Plus, one had an awful eye infection, so we had to get that treated. He's fine now, his eyes are clear.

Right now, our household is very interesting with 8 cats and my very confused dog.

Once again, bless you, CCL, and your poor confused dog! Hope all goes well.

Thanks! There are just bumps in the road to helping neighbors, is all. But it's all worth it, because neighbors are neighbors and we all live here and care for one another.

Lilly would love to be friends with the kittens, but one of the kittens, I believe, has insulted Lilly by hissing and spitting at her. Poor puppers! She'll get over it.

The same one likes to climb my legs....when I'm wearing shorts. Ouch!

The two Indian stores where I usually buy brown basmati rice were both out. I bought some overpriced organic brown basmati at the health food store. It hardly tastes basmati and it didn't cook quite like basmati. I just read the label, "Not suitable for consumption by persons with an allergy to milk, peanut, sesame, soy, sulphites, tree nuts and wheat." Come on guys. I shouldn't have to worry about that when I'm buying rice. I am not a happy camper. 25 years ago, I used to buy wonderful organic, brown basmati.

Got a tick on me on Friday. Happened to brush the right side of my belly, just under the rib cage and felt something. I looked down and thought I had a bloody skin tag where there had never been one. I thought it odd that it could grow there, and so quickly. I was concerned because of its color. I had DW take a closer look. She discovered that it was a tick. Fortunately, it wasn't a deer tick. There is no bulls-eye around it, and so I don't believe I've contracted any nasty microbes. The tick was far too large to be a deer tick. Even so, I had ticks even more than I hate mosquitoes.

In my part of the U.P. we have lots of wood ticks, but no cases of lyme disease as the deer ticks seem to stay on the western side of the peninsula. We never had ticks through the 1980's. But we do now.:mad:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

The two Indian stores where I usually buy brown basmati rice were both out. I bought some overpriced organic brown basmati at the health food store. It hardly tastes basmati and it didn't cook quite like basmati. I just read the label, "Not suitable for consumption by persons with an allergy to milk, peanut, sesame, soy, sulphites, tree nuts and wheat." Come on guys. I shouldn't have to worry about that when I'm buying rice. I am not a happy camper. 25 years ago, I used to buy wonderful organic, brown basmati.
Perhaps they are covering their backs (and fronts and sides!) against anyone suing them or perhaps it was packed in a factory where peanuts, wheat, etc are packed or used.

Addie?

I was browsing this thread and saw that you were awaiting your Roomba a few weeks back. How are you getting on with it? I keep looking at them in the catalogue and wondering. What happens in the corners? Is it good enough at what it does to be a "stand alone" vacuum cleaner or would it be necessary to retain a more powerful cleaner for the weekly blitz?

Got a tick on me on Friday. Happened to brush the right side of my belly, just under the rib cage and felt something. I looked down and thought I had a bloody skin tag where there had never been one. I thought it odd that it could grow there, and so quickly. I was concerned because of its color. I had DW take a closer look. She discovered that it was a tick. Fortunately, it wasn't a deer tick. There is no bulls-eye around it, and so I don't believe I've contracted any nasty microbes. The tick was far too large to be a deer tick. Even so, I had ticks even more than I hate mosquitoes.

In my part of the U.P. we have lots of wood ticks, but no cases of lyme disease as the deer ticks seem to stay on the western side of the peninsula. We never had ticks through the 1980's. But we do now.:mad:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

That's awful that you were bitten by a tick but the good news is that most of them don't carry any disease. I hope that's true for you.

The not so good news is there are other tick-borne diseases carried by ticks in Michigan (plus other states) and by ticks other than the tick that conveys Lyme, which is Ixodes scapularis (Black Legged tick or deer tick). Those are the American dog tick (Dermacentor variabilis), Rocky Mountain wood tick (Dermacentor andersoni), and brown dog tick (Rhipicephalus sanguineus) and they look different from the 'deer tick'.

I assume you tossed the tick after you thought it wasn't a tick that could make you sick. Too bad. But, as I said, most ticks don't carry any human pathogens so you are probably clear.

The problem is most people go to the CDC for their information on Lyme disease instead of the groups that are knowledgeable about Lyme and co-infections.

Such a group, in your area, is the Welcome To The Michigan Lyme Disease Association!. Linda Lobes is an e-friend of mine and has been active in Michigan for more than a decade with the real truth about tick-borne diseases in her State. You can do no better than to contact her. I hope you do---- plus I sincerely hope you won't get sick with any of the many co-infections that a tick might give a person. The chances are you won't but believe me Lyme and other co-infections are nothing to be sanguine about!

Dang. I grabbed a box of hair color from under the bathroom sink as the grays were taking over. My waist-length hair is now a beautiful, and very DARK shade of burgundy that is not normally found in nature. The box said "medium reddish brown." The picture on the box matched my original color perfectly. The box lied. Oh well, the grays are gone.

Last edited:
Dang. I grabbed a box of hair color from under the bathroom sink as the grays were taking over. My waist-length hair is now a beautiful, and very DARK shade of burgundy that is not normally found in nature. The box said "medium reddish brown." The picture on the box matched my original color perfectly. The box lied. Oh well, the grays are gone.
You are retired. It's about time you started getting eccentric. ;)

Back
Top Bottom