Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mosquitoes love to bite me. I eat a fair amount of garlic and not a lot of sweets. I have tried making sure to eat plenty of garlic every day and it didn't help. Stirling is obese and doesn't eat a lot of sweets. He enjoys his garlic too and they bite him even more than they bite me.

Mosquitoes like me so much that friends like walking with me in mosquito areas because they get bitten less.
I'm the same! Garlic doesn't keep them off me either. What I do find useful is Oil of Citronella. I buy it at the pharmacy and dab it on behind my ears, on my hands and on my ankles and the smell keeps them away. It smells nice too. It even worked in Kenya and Menorca. (One evening in Menorca, before I discovered it the citronella, I was bitten 154 times on one lower leg and 40 times on the other!)

I can't remember the last time I had a mosquito bite. And I don't do anything to prevent them from biting. Maybe living in the city has its advantages. I do know that aloe gel is great for the bites when you do get them. Poo used to get eaten alive when we lived in Hawaii. We had a giant aloe plant right outside the door and I would break off the tip of a spike and squeeze the gel out. It would stop the itch instantly and also helped in clearing up the infected ones. :angel:

A couple of people I send text messages to think it's hilarious that I punctuate my texts, use capital letters where necessary and don't abbreviate. It's a matter of principle :)

Fortunately for a lot of members here, spelling is off the table. As long as the message gets across. My problem is the wrong keys keep jumping under the wrong fingers. We all have a special talent. Math is not one of my talents. Not even close. But I am the one that others will ask on how to spell a word. I am just above so-so on grammar.

I keep a blank word document on minimize. If I am not sure of the spelling, I will bring the blank page up, spell the word the way I think it is and then hit F7. If it is in the Microsoft dictionary, it will give me the right spelling. If not, then I find another word I am sure of. :angel:

A couple of people I send text messages to think it's hilarious that I punctuate my texts, use capital letters where necessary and don't abbreviate. It's a matter of principle :)
I do too.

It's easy with predictive typing. You just have to proof read before posting. Since I haven't taught my phone any of the internet slang, it's actually harder to use it than to type real words.

I do too.

It's easy with predictive typing. You just have to proof read before posting. Since I haven't taught my phone any of the internet slang, it's actually harder to use it than to type real words.

Boy, is that the truth! I can't believe some of the words predictive text wants to use. :ohmy::ermm::LOL: My daughters have gotten a good laugh over some of mine that I hadn't proofed. LOL

This afternoon we had serious internet connectivity problems. It seems that Time Warner had a problem in New York, so all the traffic was being re-routed and overloaded our paths to the internet. My mobile carrier didn't seem affected, or at any rate less. I thought I would USB tether my phone and laptop and connect the laptop that way.

Well, it worked for about two minutes and then my stupid laptop couldn't see the USB connection. I tried to get Windows help, but guess what? The help is online. What the heck are they thinking? I need help to get online, so I'm offered help that is only available to me if I can get online. :huh::glare:

LOL!!!!!!!

I have terrorist kittens here and I just pray DHS or FEMA doesn't show up. I am bleeding on a regular basis, and you don't want to know what's happening to our guestroom.

LOL!!!!!!!

I have terrorist kittens here and I just pray DHS or FEMA doesn't show up. I am bleeding on a regular basis, and you don't want to know what's happening to our guestroom.

Maybe it's time for the kittens to be re-united with their family.:mrgreen:

Boy, is that the truth! I can't believe some of the words predictive text wants to use. :ohmy::ermm::LOL: My daughters have gotten a good laugh over some of mine that I hadn't proofed. LOL
Mine has a very bad habit of trying to replace a simple word with something really obscure that you probably wouldn't ever need to use.

Mine has a very bad habit of trying to replace a simple word with something really obscure that you probably wouldn't ever need to use.

I have deleted some of those types of words from my phone's history. I also purchased an inexpensive app that learns my typing patterns so the prediction improves over time.

My girlfriend in California bought a Dyson when they first came out. It is so heavy she can't use it and poor hubby has to do all the vacuuming. I tried to lift it and I couldn't.

I have to move Rosie's port. It is in the closet, (there is a plug there for the port) as I have to leave the door open so she can go back home. I was heading for the bathroom and walked right into the door and almost knocked myself out. As long as there is no obstacle, Rosie goes from carpet to tile (kitchen and bathroom) without any problem. So my whole apartment gets done. You do receive a virtual wall with one. It will stop the robot from going where you don't want it to go. If you have area rugs down, she goes right over them also without a problem.

I call her Rosie after the Jetson's robot maid. I love my Rosie! :angel:

My Dyson is a fairly new model (the D50) and it's a lot lighter than the 'Orrible 'Oover upright which required Charles Atlas to push it round and regularly went into sulks and on strike of you asked it to pick up more than dust.

I have deleted some of those types of words from my phone's history. I also purchased an inexpensive app that learns my typing patterns so the prediction improves over time.

Spellcheck and Autocheck always trip over my last name, they suggest "Ambiguous" and it doesn't even start with an "A". I am a compulsive proofreader, so it's not often something gets by me.

Are you using an iPhone? I have an Android phone and it just learns my typing patterns without an extra app. I vaguely remember being able to delete words from the predictive typing when I had an iPhone. I imagine there is a way to do it with Android phones, but I haven't felt the need yet, so I haven't tried to find out.

No, I have an Android phone. I've been using the app for a few years; it works better than I remember the default app working, but maybe the default has improved. To delete a word, just press and hold on it when it's suggested, then confirm you want to delete it.

No, I have an Android phone. I've been using the app for a few years; it works better than I remember the default app working, but maybe the default has improved. To delete a word, just press and hold on it when it's suggested, then confirm you want to delete it.
Thanks. My phone is a bit over a year old. I think the default app works quite well and even seems context sensitive. I get notifications by SMS from Google Calendar. I don't know if it's Google or my cell provider, but I get an SMS that tells me to reply "read" to get the notification. When I am replying to an SMS, "Read" is the second choice in the auto-suggest list, even before I start typing. Simplifies it for me.

My Dyson is a fairly new model (the D50) and it's a lot lighter than the 'Orrible 'Oover upright which required Charles Atlas to push it round and regularly went into sulks and on strike of you asked it to pick up more than dust.

I mentioned to The Pirate about why I named mine Rosie. He informed me that I was fortunate I didn't get one from the Flintstone era. Where would I store a dinosaur? :wacko: Plus I am not fond of the name Dino! :angel:

Back
Top Bottom