Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very good tip GG. Due to problems I've had in the past, I have a notebook that lists every account I have and the password.

I've been using this for years: World?s Best Password Manager l RoboForm

Especially when I was working, I had tons of passwords. Still do. I wouldn't have wanted to carry around a notebook listing them all - that would have been a terrible security risk. Keys to the school's server, you know ;)

I use Password Safe. Same idea as RoboForm, but free. I can sync it to Google Drive, Dropbox, or something whose name I can't remember. It works with Windows. It also works with Mac and Linux in the java version. It works with Android. I think it works with Apple devices, but I'm not sure. I can also put it on a USB stick and run it on computers that don't have the software.

I finally made a complete list of all of my login id's, passwords etc...

I put a copy in my things you need to know when I croak folder. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I put a copy in my things you need to know when I croak folder. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

:LOL: I also have a paper password list, figured I'd tell DH about it while I'm croaking.

I can't find my little red appointment book that has the airline frequent flier numbers, have torn the house apart a few times.

Last edited:
:LOL: I also have a paper password list, figured I'd tell DH about it while I'm croaking.

I can't find my little red appointment book that has the airline frequent flier numbers, have torn the house apart a few times.

The sad part is that it will take my family weeks to find the folder so all of the information is completely safe!

I love them but they ain't too bright! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Call me silly, but I use the same password or one variant for everything. No one has access to my computer, so I've had no problems. Occasionally I've had to ask them to email me my password, but it has never been a problem.

I use Lastpass, it generates passwords that I'd never be able to remember. Hopefully I never forget my Lastpass password...

Here in MN you have a better chance to pass somebody on the right. In left lane everybody is a volunteer highway patrol. Making sure nobody drives over 54.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I use Lastpass, it generates passwords that I'd never be able to remember. Hopefully I never forget my Lastpass password...

Roboform does that, too. It also stores personal information like addresses and credit card numbers so it can fill in Web forms for you automagically.

Here in MN you have a better chance to pass somebody on the right. In left lane everybody is a volunteer highway patrol. Making sure nobody drives over 54.

On many freeways in CA, the far left lane is the 'diamond lane', reserved for carpooling and busses. Carpooling is only defined by 2 or more people in a vehicle though, so not sure how well that cuts down on the congested freeways.

I have a hurricane suitcase, containing stuff I can't do without if/when a big blow comes. Yesterday I shredded a bunch of old outdated, no longer useful insurance papers, etc. That's where I keep proof of purchase for the big stuff like my cherished Jenn Air fridge as well as the TV & player, laptop, printer and such for submitting insurance claims. This is also where I have several hen-scratch handwritten pages of user names and passwords.

If I have any sense at all (arguable), I'll make a complete list like you did and use an off-site place such as the ones Taxy and others have listed.

Man, I would so much rather go out and weed the flower bed. :cool:

I have a hurricane suitcase, containing stuff I can't do without if/when a big blow comes. Yesterday I shredded a bunch of old outdated, no longer useful insurance papers, etc. That's where I keep proof of purchase for the big stuff like my cherished Jenn Air fridge as well as the TV & player, laptop, printer and such for submitting insurance claims. This is also where I have several hen-scratch handwritten pages of user names and passwords.

If I have any sense at all (arguable), I'll make a complete list like you did and use an off-site place such as the ones Taxy and others have listed.

Man, I would so much rather go out and weed the flower bed. :cool:

I like the idea of a hurricane suitcase, sort of like Dorothy in the wizard of Oz, grab the suitcase and run!.

I fuss about my little folder and try to keep it up to date for the folks that will have to come in and sift through my things someday. I think all they are really concerned about is how big a dumpster they will need and who will pay for it! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Call me silly, but I use the same password or one variant for everything. No one has access to my computer, so I've had no problems. Occasionally I've had to ask them to email me my password, but it has never been a problem.
I am intensely secretive about my passwords and have different ones for every site I access and change them regularly. When I buy anything on-line I NEVER decline the seller's offer to hold my account and card details on the site and I change my password to the seller's site every time I purchase anything.

Despite having a 14 random character password for my bank account and no-one supposedly having access to it my account was hacked a couple of years ago. Fortunately, my bank believed me when I told them I had no use for 5 tickets to a heavy metal concert in Australia and refunded my money and the overdraft fees they'd charged. They did say, however, that had my bank account had the same p/w as anything else on my PC they would not have done so.

When I make a major purchase, I tape the receipt on the back or bottom of the item. When I got rid of my last TV, the receipt was still there. But very yellow with age and the ink had faded. So now I wrap the receipt in plastic wrap first. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom