Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know this is a small vent but it bugs me, I hate it when a checker or clerk in a store calls me dear, honey or sweetheart.
One of the check out assistants in a big DIY store in a nearby town has adopted the American (I think ) habit of commanding her customers to "Have a nice day". I have stopped shopping there as I fear that, should I be having a bad day when she says this to me, I might just tear her throat out!!!!

If she gave any hint that she actually gave a damn it might be slightly bearable but....:mad:

Last edited:
I think I am suffering from post menopausal PMS. (Is there even such a thing?) I really do not want to go to Winthrop today. Every morning when I wake up it is still dark out and we haven't even turned the clocks back. If God is playing games with me, then he is winning. Isn't there a disorder regarding not getting enough light? Maybe that is what is wrong with me today.

As much as I love the ocean, it is this time of year I begin to wonder why. Sunday, sitting there on my scooter with just a light sweater on, we were only a half block from the water. The breeze was coming in from the ocean. The air temp said it was reasonably warm, the breeze gave me a different message. Today it is going to be the same thing. The building in Winthrop is just a couple of buildings from the ocean. I like to go out and sit there every so often to get away from all the folks inside. I will have to dress for that and not the real weather.

Anybody have a PMS pill for a crazy old lady? :angel:
Addie, there is a condition called Seasonal Affective Disorder (S.A.D) - at least that's what it's called over here. The following link might be helpful. As it's a UK government National Health site it has no financial axes to grind

Seasonal affective disorder - NHS Choices

There's also this American site but I'm not sure how independent it is

http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor/en/diseases-conditions/seasonal-affective-disorder.html

I hope one of them helps.

Last edited:
What a brilliant idea. I must look for them over here. I used to have a pair of trainers with Velcro (hook and loop) fastenings and when they gave up the ghost I couldn't find anymore and I hate laces. If I can find Hickies I can have trainers again.

(Actually "Hickies" would be an unfortunate brand name in the UK. Over here a "hickie" is a slang term for one of those red and inflamed spots with a white "head" that you get on your face when you're a teenager :LOL: !)

*sigh* Once again, our internet went down. This has been a recurring problem late at night. We figured they were doing some sort of updates on the line - probably because they figure everyone is sleeping in the wee hours. Well we showed them! Tonight was the final straw. Himself called to see what was going on. So, of course, I went into the room to kibitz. When she asked it there was anything else as they were wrapping up the call, I queried about a credit. Didn't expect much because we aren't out for that long (I think the longest was 1 1/2 hours) but it doesn't hurt to ask. We have $10 coming off our next bill! Better than nothing! The good news is, they are almost done with all of their updates and this should be ending soon.
Good for you. It pays to register your displeasure when "they" let you down.

One of the check out assistants in a big DIY store in a nearby town has adopted the American (I think ) habit of commanding her customers to "Have a nice day". I have stopped shopping there as I fear that, should I be having a bad day when she says this to me, I might just tear her throat out!!!!

If she gave any hint that she actually gave a damn it might be slightly bearable but....:mad:

The standard answer to that is "Don't tell me what to do!" It tends to bring folks up short and think before they ever say it again. :angel:

I'm at home today, nursing a "war wound". Our horses (geldings and mares) live in an "American barn" set-up, with loose boxes, each with its own gate, on either side of an aisle. The doors don't have grills above them so the horses can look out to see what's going on and the loose boxes have windows to see outside onto the yard.

One of the loose boxes is occupied by a Welsh Section D cob, who shows at high levels. He's a stallion so can only go out to pasture once a week when there's an empty field. He gets no other exercise. He doesn't even go on the horsewalker. When the mares in the barn are in season or an "interesting" mare is passing outside across the yard he goes absolutely crazy and throws himself round his loose box kicking, rearing, screaming and snorting and recently got one of his legs stuck over the loosebox gate. He is also fed enormous amounts and is, not to put it too finely, seriously obese. He kicks his door incessantly to get attention but when anyone goes near he is in such a state that he tries to bite them.

He got me on Saturday. I was pushing the wheel barrow past his loose box
and thought I was well out of his range but he lunged over his door and bit my shoulder and wouldn't let go. He was off his front feet, leaning over the door and hanging on to my shoulder with a fair bit of his weight. Eventually my screams brought others running and he let go. I had a thick winter fleece and a woollen jumper on but he still left deep teeth marks on my shoulder which bled copiously. I reported the incident to the Yard Manageress who gave me the "Yeah, yeah" look until I showed her the damage at which she went quite pale and got out the accident book! She then telephoned the owners.

One of my rescuers is a Sister (senior nurse-in-charge) in the Accident and Emergency Unit at a big Manchester hospital and insisted on cleaning and dressing my wound after I'd spoken to the YM. No way was I going to sit in A&E at the hospital all afternoon!

A couple of inches over and he'd have got my neck and possibly I might not have been here today! And if he'd grabbed a child's shoulder or head I dread to think what the damage might have been.

Last edited:
The standard answer to that is "Don't tell me what to do!" It tends to bring folks up short and think before they ever say it again. :angel:

I frequently invite people, usually strangers to have a nice day. Though I add the qualifier - I hope.." you have a nice day. I sincerely hope they do have a great day, and if it's not going so well, I add - "I hope it gets better, and tell them a particular quick joke that always brings a smile. Getting them to smile is the start of the day getting better for them.

With my kids, as they were growing up, occasionally, one of them would be sulking. I'd walk up to them and try to find out what was wrong. Often, even usually, it would be something inconsequential, and they were just in the mood to stew about it. I would say to them - Don't let me catch you smiling. Don't smile. Ah, I thought I caught you starting to smile. Don't you dare smile." By then they would burst out laughing, and the foul mood would be instantaneously gone. They would then complain that they hated that I could make them laugh so easily. But it would change their mood and allow them to have a good outlook for the remainder of the day.

I agree, if it is an insincere phrase - have a good day, that could be annoying. But when it is given from the heart, you almost can't help but be thankful that there are good people around who really care about others, to the point that they don't want to see someone having a bad day.

Usually, when a person can be made to smile, and they get rid of the bad mood that's taken over their day, they are thankful to have turned around their mood. I've even had people come back and thank me for making their day a bit brighter.

If we all tried to make each other's lives a little better, this world could be such a great place to live in.

That's from the POV of an eternal optimist, me.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Standard? I don't most people take it as a commandment. Coming from an ostensibly sweet old lady such as yourself, I'm sure it's quite a shock, though.

As a rule, I am always in a good mood. I have a saying, "If you someone without a smile, give them yours." And I do. When I run up to CVS or Rite-Aid, there is always this old man sitting on his stoop with his walker beside him. I used to just pass him by. Now I stop and give him a big smile and a good morning to go with it. Sometimes I will even stop and talk to him. Once on the way back I stopped at Dunkin Donut and got him a large coffee with the cream and sugar on the side. I had to wait until his fixed his coffee. It had been years since anyone bought one for him. And he missed it. One day he informed me that he looks forward to my whizzing up the street on my scooter.

He used to have a dog, but his son thought it was too much for him to take care of. So his son took the dog away. My heart broke after hearing that. He misses his dog. I still don't know his name. Probably never will. But I enjoy his company. And when I see him, I know that if it wasn't for my scooter, that could be me. Sitting outside waiting for someone to talk to.

After my little chats with him, I am in an even better mood. But when I am not, which is very rarely, leave me alone. It is my bad mood and I want to keep it for the day. I will get over it in time. All you have to do is leave me alone. There are many times when I see someone in the same nasty mood, I just leave them alone. But I do try to discern if it is just a bad mood or depression. Depression is another story and requires a different response. :angel:

Last edited:
I'm guilty of commanding people to "Have a nice day!"

I have never thought of it as being anything other than polite.

What should a person say?

I'm at home today, nursing a "war wound". Our horses (geldings and mares) live in an "American barn" set-up, with loose boxes, each with its own gate, on either side of an aisle. The doors don't have grills above them so the horses can look out to see what's going on and the loose boxes have windows to see outside onto the yard.

One of the loose boxes is occupied by a Welsh Section D cob, who shows at high levels. He's a stallion so can only go out to pasture once a week when there's an empty field. He gets no other exercise. He doesn't even go on the horsewalker. When the mares in the barn are in season or an "interesting" mare is passing outside across the yard he goes absolutely crazy and throws himself round his loose box kicking, rearing, screaming and snorting and recently got one of his legs stuck over the loosebox gate. He is also fed enormous amounts and is, not to put it too finely, seriously obese. He kicks his door incessantly to get attention but when anyone goes near he is in such a state that he tries to bite them.

He got me on Saturday. I was pushing the wheel barrow past his loose box
and thought I was well out of his range but he lunged over his door and bit my shoulder and wouldn't let go. He was off his front feet, leaning over the door and hanging on to my shoulder with a fair bit of his weight. Eventually my screams brought others running and he let go. I had a thick winter fleece and a woollen jumper on but he still left deep teeth marks on my shoulder which bled copiously. I reported the incident to the Yard Manageress who gave me the "Yeah, yeah" look until I showed her the damage at which she went quite pale and got out the accident book! She then telephoned the owners.

One of my rescuers is a Sister (senior nurse-in-charge) in the Accident and Emergency Unit at a big Manchester hospital and insisted on cleaning and dressing my wound after I'd spoken to the YM. No way was I going to sit in A&E at the hospital all afternoon!

A couple of inches over and he'd have got my neck and possibly I might not have been here today! And if he'd grabbed a child's shoulder or head I dread to think what the damage might have been.

We give shots to dogs in the event a person gets bitten and the dog may be rabid. Is there such a concern regarding horse bites? :angel:

I frequently invite people, usually strangers to have a nice day. Though I add the qualifier - I hope.." you have a nice day. I sincerely hope they do have a great day, and if it's not going so well, I add - "I hope it gets better, and tell them a particular quick joke that always brings a smile. Getting them to smile is the start of the day getting better for them.

With my kids, as they were growing up, occasionally, one of them would be sulking. I'd walk up to them and try to find out what was wrong. Often, even usually, it would be something inconsequential, and they were just in the mood to stew about it. I would say to them - Don't let me catch you smiling. Don't smile. Ah, I thought I caught you starting to smile. Don't you dare smile." By then they would burst out laughing, and the foul mood would be instantaneously gone. They would then complain that they hated that I could make them laugh so easily. But it would change their mood and allow them to have a good outlook for the remainder of the day.

I agree, if it is an insincere phrase - have a good day, that could be annoying. But when it is given from the heart, you almost can't help but be thankful that there are good people around who really care about others, to the point that they don't want to see someone having a bad day.

Usually, when a person can be made to smile, and they get rid of the bad mood that's taken over their day, they are thankful to have turned around their mood. I've even had people come back and thank me for making their day a bit brighter.

If we all tried to make each other's lives a little better, this world could be such a great place to live in.

That's from the POV of an eternal optimist, me.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Talking about smiles, there was someone speaking on the radio yesterday about a British Army Officer, Jack Churchill aka "Mad Jack - Last man to kill an enemy in battle with a bow and arrow (in 1940!) - you must read his Wikipaedia entry, it's an absolute hoot.

Apparently he said he smiled in battle because "people are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them"

Read these, you will be convinced (if you weren't already) that the English are quite, quite mad!

Jack Churchill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and
Warfare History Network » “Mad Jack” Churchill—A Rare Breed of Warrior

Last edited:
We give shots to dogs in the event a person gets bitten and the dog may be rabid. Is there such a concern regarding horse bites? :angel:

lol, i first thought you meant giving the shot to the dog or horse, as in euthanasia. :ohmy:

then i read it again, lol.

I'm guilty of commanding people to "Have a nice day!"

I have never thought of it as being anything other than polite.

What should a person say?

I agree, I was told once by a customer, "Don't tell me what kind of day to have." It crushed me for the rest of the day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom