Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
being bothered by the phrase "have a nice day" is a waste of things to be bothered by, imo.

and awfully cynical as you can never really know someone's intentions; good, bad, or indifferent. or cynical, lol.

With my kids, as they were growing up, occasionally, one of them would be sulking. I'd walk up to them and try to find out what was wrong. Often, even usually, it would be something inconsequential, and they were just in the mood to stew about it. I would say to them - Don't let me catch you smiling. Don't smile. Ah, I thought I caught you starting to smile. Don't you dare smile." By then they would burst out laughing, and the foul mood would be instantaneously gone. They would then complain that they hated that I could make them laugh so easily. But it would change their mood and allow them to have a good outlook for the remainder of the day.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

we really are alike, although my method is a bit more well intentioned teasing (in my mind, of course, in keeping with my earlier statement) than purely being a good guy.

when my boy is sulking, or angry, or just simply bothered by something, i order him to sulk, or be angry, or frustrated, then say "good boy. good boy. always doing what your father tells you to."

if that doesn't work, i start repeating everything he says including "stop it", or "dad, you're being a jerk."

if that still doesn't work, i start telling him jokes he's heard a thousand times.

and if that still doesn't work, i start to sing "oh, canada" in baritone falsetto at which time he's begging me to stop and has completely forgotten what bothered him in the first place.

fatherhood is great, ain't it?

Last edited:
We give shots to dogs in the event a person gets bitten and the dog may be rabid. Is there such a concern regarding horse bites? :angel:
No. not really. Only general rules about washing a the wound if the teeth break the skin as with any cut . I don't think I've ever been intentionally bitten in anger by a horse before. Tetley nibbles my hand with his lips when taking a treat and has occasionally mistaken the feel of my fingers for a carrot and chomped down but has never done much harm. Like us they can't see what is touching their lips so go by feel.

tetley probably feels very bad about biting you.

he walked into a bar and the bartender said, "why the long face?"

sorry, couldn't help it. :smartass:

I'm at home today, nursing a "war wound". Our horses (geldings and mares) live in an "American barn" set-up, with loose boxes, each with its own gate, on either side of an aisle. The doors don't have grills above them so the horses can look out to see what's going on and the loose boxes have windows to see outside onto the yard.

One of the loose boxes is occupied by a Welsh Section D cob, who shows at high levels. He's a stallion so can only go out to pasture once a week when there's an empty field. He gets no other exercise. He doesn't even go on the horsewalker. When the mares in the barn are in season or an "interesting" mare is passing outside across the yard he goes absolutely crazy and throws himself round his loose box kicking, rearing, screaming and snorting and recently got one of his legs stuck over the loosebox gate. He is also fed enormous amounts and is, not to put it too finely, seriously obese. He kicks his door incessantly to get attention but when anyone goes near he is in such a state that he tries to bite them.

He got me on Saturday. I was pushing the wheel barrow past his loose box
and thought I was well out of his range but he lunged over his door and bit my shoulder and wouldn't let go. He was off his front feet, leaning over the door and hanging on to my shoulder with a fair bit of his weight. Eventually my screams brought others running and he let go. I had a thick winter fleece and a woollen jumper on but he still left deep teeth marks on my shoulder which bled copiously. I reported the incident to the Yard Manageress who gave me the "Yeah, yeah" look until I showed her the damage at which she went quite pale and got out the accident book! She then telephoned the owners.

One of my rescuers is a Sister (senior nurse-in-charge) in the Accident and Emergency Unit at a big Manchester hospital and insisted on cleaning and dressing my wound after I'd spoken to the YM. No way was I going to sit in A&E at the hospital all afternoon!

A couple of inches over and he'd have got my neck and possibly I might not have been here today! And if he'd grabbed a child's shoulder or head I dread to think what the damage might have been.

Ohmygosh, I'm so sorry about your injury MC!! I've had a life long fear of horses since I was thrown off of one as a young child, and I've never gone near one again. I think they're beautiful and interesting and dangerous.
It never even occurred to me that they bite too!! :w00t:
Hope you heal quick!

Horses can be quirky animals. First there is their vision problems. Their eyes are on the side of their head so they don't see what is in front. That's why you see race horses with those fuzzy bands across their nose and blinders. It blocks what they can see on the ground and forces them to concentrate on their job of running. They have to place all their trust in the rider. Something they are not always wont to do. Yet they can be the sweetest, gentlest animal you could ever want. :angel:

I agree, I was told once by a customer, "Don't tell me what kind of day to have." It crushed me for the rest of the day.

Iv'e been told something similar by people who I wished a happy day to. When that happens, I tend to look at the a little sideways, and think - man, what a grouch. It may not be the most charitable reaction, but its kind of spontaneous. And I still say to them, "I hope your day gets better."

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the north

my response would be in song.
"the love you get is equal to the love you give."

my singing is punishment enough.

People who tell you to have a good day, or call you a term of endearment are really vicious evil folks who spread that nasty fairy dust all over. How dare they!! :devilish::boxing:

Have a good day honey! :LOL:

People who tell you to have a good day, or call you a term of endearment are really vicious evil folks who spread that nasty fairy dust all over. How dare they!! :devilish::boxing:

Have a good day honey! :LOL:

:LOL: +1, Sweetie!

I would never call an adult a name like honey, or sweetie, or for a guy, bro, chief, or boss.

you can never go wrong with ma'am or sir.

unless you mix them up because they are nj state troopers. :cool:

I would never call an adult a name like honey, or sweetie, or for a guy, bro, chief, or boss.

Hey! you call me Chief all the time. Does that mean I'm inconsequential, huh, does it. Well mister, I have five reasons that I'm not inconsequential - look at my right hand as I close each finger - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. My mentor was Lucy VanPelt. Ya got that mister!:boxing::furious:

Ah, I was only kidding. C'mon over and we'll crack a couple of root beers.:mrgreen:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I was witness to a shopper doing some massive shoplifting. When the cops came, they asked me if I was a witness. I gave a polite answer of "Yes." The cop asked my name and I told him Mrs. So and So. Well, in a very nasty voice he asked me my first name and I gave it to him. He then began to call me by my first name. I asked the cop what his first name was. He thought I was being a smartass. Since he didn't want to give it to me, I ask him what his title was. "Officer." "Well, officer I will call you by your title and you in return will properly call me by mine. "Mrs.!" He got the hint. Unless I know you for a long time and consider a friend, I expect you to call me Mrs. I in return will do the same for you. When I introduce myself as Mrs., I expect you to address me as such. It is called very simply, Respect! Specially for an elderly person. :angel:

sock it to me, sock it to me,
sock it to me, sock it to me,
mister, when i get home.

:)

And what medicine did you say you were taking bt dear? :wacko: It's okay bt. In a little while a pretty lady is going to come and visit you. She will have a present for you. A nice white jacket with very long sleeves. The sleeves will help you hug yourself. Just remember, we all love you and just want you to get better. :angel:

lol, addie.
i was channeling aretha franklin.

i like doing background vocals to soul music. the pips, the supremes, and 4 of the jackson 5 ain't got nothin' on me.

Hey! you call me Chief all the time. Does that mean I'm inconsequential, huh, does it. Well mister, I have five reasons that I'm not inconsequential - look at my right hand as I close each finger - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. My mentor was Lucy VanPelt. Ya got that mister!:boxing::furious:

Ah, I was only kidding. C'mon over and we'll crack a couple of root beers.:mrgreen:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

ooh, i love root beer. have you ever had homemade amish root beer?
their are little, hand painted, weathered wooden signs along the back roads in lancaster co., pennsylvania that invite people to visit amizh homes, usually only on saturdays, that advertise homemade root beer, farm fresh eggs, and homemade pies.

all are wonderful, and there's no worries about short cuts or artificial ingredients. but the root beer is outstanding.

i won't even mention root beer floats with homemade, hand churned that day ice cream.
it wouldn't be fair.

Last edited:
I was witness to a shopper doing some massive shoplifting. When the cops came, they asked me if I was a witness. I gave a polite answer of "Yes." The cop asked my name and I told him Mrs. So and So. Well, in a very nasty voice he asked me my first name and I gave it to him. He then began to call me by my first name. I asked the cop what his first name was. He thought I was being a smartass. Since he didn't want to give it to me, I ask him what his title was. "Officer." "Well, officer I will call you by your title and you in return will properly call me by mine. "Mrs.!" He got the hint. Unless I know you for a long time and consider a friend, I expect you to call me Mrs. I in return will do the same for you. When I introduce myself as Mrs., I expect you to address me as such. It is called very simply, Respect! Specially for an elderly person. :angel:
Way to go! Good for you, Addie.

It annoys the hell out of my when I ring the power company or the insurance company and they address me by my first name without asking first. I didn't complete a substantial on-line order with a supermarket because their website called me by my Christian name!

However, I was filling in my details on line for something last week and there was a question I'd never come across before - " How would you like us to address you when we contact you?". Someone seems to be getting the message.

What I really hate is when I say ma'am or sir, I get the response "Don't call me ma'am, it makes me feel old." or "Don't call me sir, I'm not my Dad or an officer."

I'm only trying to be as polite as possible, just the way I learned while growing up.

It's a slap in the face.

I wouldn't ever come back with a rude attitude to someone who's just being polite, no matter if it's a simple "Have a nice day." I just answer, "You too."

Back
Top Bottom