Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks everyone. It is still scary to think what would have happened if we would have been just 5 seconds earlier. I can see my family waiting for us and wondering where we were.

DH and I just got home from our daughters house, where we spent Christmas day. We almost didn't make it up to their house. We were driving to a busy intersection, we had the green light, we were about '5 seconds' away when a car ran the red light (he must have doing at least 70 to 80 miles an hour)because he was being chased by the police. I told my husband that we have never been that close to death before. When we got to my daughters house and told them what happened there were thankful hugs all around.

Thank G-d you are ok. I don't know what wrong with people. Saw similar situation yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Do you know that in the last week I have seen 4 people run through red lights. It wasn't any certain age group either. Last week a lady was coming out of the WalMart parking lot onto a highway and the light just turned green and she started to go when a big semi couldn't stop in time and hit her broadside. She didn't get killed but she was hurt pretty bad.
I know after our experence I am going to be very aware at the traffic lights.

We have to be super careful driving in Mexico. Stop signs are taken as a suggestion, and stop lights are ignored.

We parked at a beach club, and heard a loud crash. A pallet fell off a stack of other pallets not 3 feet away from us. Would have crushed the hood of the rental had we parked there!

Do you know that in the last week I have seen 4 people run through red lights. It wasn't any certain age group either. Last week a lady was coming out of the WalMart parking lot onto a highway and the light just turned green and she started to go when a big semi couldn't stop in time and hit her broadside. She didn't get killed but she was hurt pretty bad.
I know after our experence I am going to be very aware at the traffic lights.

I'm so glad you're ok JoAnn...those cop chases are horrifying!!

Speaking of the lady who was hit by the truck, thanks to Mom, I was taught to never be the first to go through the light when it turns green if you can help it. That good advice has saved me twice.

Darn, just my luck. Got a speeding ticket the other day. Went to talk to a hearing officer. Asked for "continue to dismiss", I have a clean driving record. She tells me she would do it, however I got ticket in Edina, and it is the only city in the area that doesn't allow "continue to dismiss". The stupidest part of course is that the street I got the ticket on, is the border line of that city, 20 feet to the right and I would be in a different city. Go figure. Not sure what to do now. If tickets goes on my record it stays there for 5 years. Crazy. Any lawyers here? Any advice?

Last edited:
Charlie, I am not a lawyer, but my advice is to quit speeding. I know that's not what you wanted to hear.

Joann, I am glad to hear that you and your family escaped that horrible situation. Just recently there was an accident near here where a guy made a left turn in front of a police car who had his lights and siren on. I don't know why he wasn't aware of the police car. Both the policeman and the other driver were killed. I don't know what the answer is. I realize they have to catch the bad guys, but at what cost?

Re: central heating and cooling. Trying to convince my wife that simply turning up the thermostat is not going to pump "warmer" air. We have this same argument during the summer also.....the lower the thermostat setting does not equal "cooler" air coming out of the vents. We keep going in circles and argue about this every time outdoor temps hit way below or above average.

Re: central heating and cooling. Trying to convince my wife that simply turning up the thermostat is not going to pump "warmer" air. We have this same argument during the summer also.....the lower the thermostat setting does not equal "cooler" air coming out of the vents. We keep going in circles and argue about this every time outdoor temps hit way below or above average.

Mmmm, maybe.

The air coming out of the vents (warm air in the winter and cool air in the summer) is at fairly constant temperatures. However, it will actually be warmer/cooler than the air already in the rooms, resulting in warming or cooling the rooms.

Mmmm, maybe.

The air coming out of the vents (warm air in the winter and cool air in the summer) is at fairly constant temperatures. However, it will actually be warmer/cooler than the air already in the rooms, resulting in warming or cooling the rooms.

We have high ceilings and the house does not have efficient insulation.
Yes, the indoor temps will (might in our case) eventually hit or come close to whatever thermostat setting its set at.
But I'm trying to convince my wife that it doesn't matter whether she sets the thermostat at 80 degrees or 120 degrees, the indoor temp will never reach say, 75, when it is 35 outside due to our house not being able to hold/contain the heat. The heating system will stay on continuously, fighting to catch up, to the heat being lost through our windows, skylight, lack of good insulation thru walls, etc...

Last edited:
Here's my problem with heat. Our thermostat is right across the hall from the bathroom. It's a small bathroom and when you have the door shut, it gets really hot in there. I have a habit of closing the vent. Heat still come through, enough to keep the bathroom warm, but DH says that the furnace will keep running because the heat coming out of the bathroom tells the thermostat that the house is warm. I say that it's sending a false message, because the bathroom air is so much warmer than the rest of the house, the rest of the house stays cooler because of the thermostat shutting off the furnace prematurely. Who is right?

If the heat from the bathroom raises the temperature at the thermostat to the set level, the thermostat will shut off the heat before the rest of the house is warmed. So if the thermostat is in a warmer than average location, the rest of the house will be cooler.

I have a similar problem because we have a town house on three levels. I have to adjust the vents in different rooms to maximize the effect the A/C in the summer and the heat in the winter.

We came back home on a plane last night. There were at least 8 people on the flight hacking and coughing like crazy, several directly in front of, next to, and behind us.

Thinking I will bring a few surgical masks next time we fly.

We came back home on a plane last night. There were at least 8 people on the flight hacking and coughing like crazy, several directly in front of, next to, and behind us.

Thinking I will bring a few surgical masks next time we fly.

It wasn't me, honest!

We adjust the vents in some rooms, too. Since heat rises, is the third level of your townhouse warmer than the other 2 levels?

Dawgluver, when I fly, sometimes the people in front of me recline their seat back so far that they are almost in my lap. I start to cough a bit, and they give me a dirty look and raise their seat.

I hope you don't get sick!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom