Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dawgluver, when I fly, sometimes the people in front of me recline their seat back so far that they are almost in my lap. I start to cough a bit, and they give me a dirty look and raise their seat.

I hope you don't get sick!

Carol, that's a very good idea! I had a few folks in my lap as well. Maybe I'll do a few hacks next time.

We adjust the vents in some rooms, too. Since heat rises, is the third level of your townhouse warmer than the other 2 levels?

The bedrooms are on the top level. When we switch from A/C to heat, I close the vents in the bedrooms so they'll be colder and more of the heat stays in the main living area.

When we switch to A/C, I open the BR vents and close the vents in the main living area so more cold air makes it upstairs B4 the thermostat gets cold and shuts off the A/C.

We like our BR colder. Also, we have heated mattress pads for the winter. How nice to crawl into a nice warm bed.

Charlie, I am not a lawyer, but my advice is to quit speeding. I know that's not what you wanted to hear?

Ah, going 45 cannot even be consider speeding. My car doesn't even go slower than that.. These silly speeding limits were implemented when cars could barely go over 30, new cars fly compare to the old ones. They are so much better. It's time to go to "use common sense" speed limits. You are on an empty road, on a clear sunny day, no traffic what so ever. Go 45-50, no problem. You are on a hwy during rush hour, driving in the ice and snow, jumping from lane to lane, trying to pass somebody. Arrest such driver and make him/her showed the roads by hand.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Here's my problem with heat. Our thermostat is right across the hall from the bathroom. It's a small bathroom and when you have the door shut, it gets really hot in there. I have a habit of closing the vent. Heat still come through, enough to keep the bathroom warm, but DH says that the furnace will keep running because the heat coming out of the bathroom tells the thermostat that the house is warm. I say that it's sending a false message, because the bathroom air is so much warmer than the rest of the house, the rest of the house stays cooler because of the thermostat shutting off the furnace prematurely. Who is right?

You both are right in the end. I do not know why builders put thermostats in this weird places. Our is near kitchen. Go figure.

Andy, the way your manage your vents for heat/cooling makes sense. Our house is one 1 floor, but we also have a basement. We keep the heat vent open in the basement so the pipes don't freeze, but it is still much cooler than the living quarters upstairs. That works great for me because my exercise equipment is in the basement and I like it to be a little cooler when I exercise.

I never knew they made heated mattress pads, but I googled, and saw them. I think I will get one but will only use it to warm up the bed, not keep it on while we're sleeping. No matter how warm it is in the house, the sheets are always so cold when you get in bed, until your body heat warms them up. It would be nice to get in bed and have it already warm. I remember that from years ago when we had a water bed.

Charlie, I understand completely what you are saying about the low speed limits, but until something is changed, it is best to follow the signs if you don't want to get a ticket. I am one of the people you don't ever want to get behind on a 2 lane road with "no passing" signs, but DH feels as you do. There is a stretch of Interstate 70 near our area that is 45 MPH. He gets so angry every time we go through there, but I tell him to just do it and shut up about it! LOL

...I never knew they made heated mattress pads, but I googled, and saw them. I think I will get one but will only use it to warm up the bed, not keep it on while we're sleeping...

That's mostly how we use them. We warm up the bed then turn them off. However, sometimes you feel really cold and can leave them on all night. They have a temperature controller with heat settings. Ours has 1-10. 10 gets it heated up and up can turn it down to 1 or 2 for the overnight.

Honestly I simply did not see the sign, was in an unfamiliar part of town..

I don't have problem with people driving with the posted speed limit, or me for that matter, as long as they remember that "slower traffic move to the right" and in some states and a lot of places around the world "left lane is for passing only". I remember taking my wife to the hospital, her water broke, and we have this hwy 35 with 45 miles speed, this guy in the left was driving exactly 45, as well as the guy in the right lane.. You can imagine I am in the hurry and they are just cursing along next to each other. I don't care about guy on the right but one the left, I'm honking and honking, and the jerk flashes 4 and 5 to me. Thank G-d I did not ran him of the roads. I hate ars holes like that.

Last edited:
Looking at a huge ugly unopened box sitting in my living room.
It's a brand new dishwasher.Yep, finally broke down and bought one.

We ordered it and all the recommended parts for it online.Gotta say I'm not too impressed with Home Depot right now.

The delivery date was set back.That was ok, things happen.
When it finally got here the delivery driver already has his mind set he and the other guy wasn't going to install it."Were here for a drop off" Hubby quickly corrected him it's installation and removal +parts have been paid for.Yes you will.

The driver said something to his friend in spanish which btw way is completely rude of one to do if the others don't speak it.
He came in took a look under the sink.Went to his truck brought back some paper work after rereading the original order form that yes he's right.

We didn't know that this states plumbing codes require that all domestic dishwashers now have to have an air gap installed before a new one is installed.It prevents backflow.New law from the last time we bought one

We called Home Depot about it.They refunded us for the parts and also gave us a $50.00 in store gift card. Oh joy, joy my cup is runneth over.:ermm: That should probably cover the additional parts.

The whole idea was to go easy pay to let someone else do the work.
Were still stuck doing it ourselves.

Can I kick that box?:stuart:

That's mostly how we use them. We warm up the bed then turn them off. However, sometimes you feel really cold and can leave them on all night. They have a temperature controller with heat settings. Ours has 1-10. 10 gets it heated up and up can turn it down to 1 or 2 for the overnight.
I have a small heating pad, and on cold nights,an hour or so before bed time, I put it in Kayelle's side on low to warm up the bed for her.

Last edited:
Darn, just my luck. Got a speeding ticket the other day. Went to talk to a hearing officer. Asked for "continue to dismiss", I have a clean driving record. She tells me she would do it, however I got ticket in Edina, and it is the only city in the area that doesn't allow "continue to dismiss". The stupidest part of course is that the street I got the ticket on, is the border line of that city, 20 feet to the right and I would be in a different city. Go figure. Not sure what to do now. If tickets goes on my record it stays there for 5 years. Crazy. Any lawyers here? Any advice?

Charlie, I imagine each state is different, but in our state you can take a "deferred" which is asking for a "mitigation hearing, admitting to the infraction and paying the fine in full. If you do not have a moving violation in the next year then the infraction does not go on your record. Many times you can get the mitigation by mail and do not have to appear at the court hearing. This is not done in every jurisdiction, but it's worth a try asking. Call the court clerk of the jurisdiction where you got the citation to inquire.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Charlie, I imagine each state is different, but in our state you can take a "deferred" which is asking for a "mitigation hearing, admitting to the infraction and paying the fine in full. If you do not have a moving violation in the next year then the infraction does not go on your record. Many times you can get the mitigation by mail and do not have to appear at the court hearing. This is not done in every jurisdiction, but it's worth a try asking. Call the court clerk of the jurisdiction where you got the citation to inquire.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Thank you.

I know, I know, he really is too good to be true. Just ask him how that heating pad to warm my rear on an Alaskan cruise almost got us busted by the TSA. lol

My Ogre used to do things like that, now it's payback time. And I don't have to worry about the TSA.

If the heat from the bathroom raises the temperature at the thermostat to the set level, the thermostat will shut off the heat before the rest of the house is warmed. So if the thermostat is in a warmer than average location, the rest of the house will be cooler.

I have a similar problem because we have a town house on three levels. I have to adjust the vents in different rooms to maximize the effect the A/C in the summer and the heat in the winter.

We have a similar situation, three levels. We can regulate the main and top levels with some trickery, but the basement is much less consistent. What's nice is that it's cool in the summer, but in the winter when mom visits, she uses a space heater in the basement guest room. Luckily our thermostat is in a sensible location.

We have a similar situation, three levels. We can regulate the main and top levels with some trickery, but the basement is much less consistent. What's nice is that it's cool in the summer, but in the winter when mom visits, she uses a space heater in the basement guest room. Luckily our thermostat is in a sensible location.

Our basement level family room is the coolest in the summer and the warmest in the winter. The vents for this room are the first ones off the furnace/air conditioner so the hottest/coolest air hits there first, even with the two vents shut tight.

Back
Top Bottom