Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That sandwich sounded delicious. I hope your appetite came back in time to enjoy it.

Hopefully the tenant of 211 will be gone for a while and you'll get a decent neighbour in that apartment.

Yeah, I did get to eat my sandwich. And it was delicious! I love a good Reuben sandwich. I am not fond of bread. But give me a fresh loaf of Pumpernickel, and I am one happy girl.

My neighbor had a problem with her son. He may have been high. It seems he punch her and lost his temper. It took seven cops in all to get him into cuffs.

He will be gone for a while. We have strict laws for elderly abuse. Stronger than family abuse. It covers even verbal abuse. Management got a restraining order against him. It was posted this morning. So when he gets out of jail, he will be arrested if just even seen on the property. Someone saw her last night with her three daughters. She was a little shaken, but otherwise seemed all right. :angel:

We have never had a garbage can. We have always just put our trash into a plastic trash bag and put that out at the curb. Other peoples trash cans are seen rolling around, some even in our yard, because they go to work and can't bring them back in until after work. People get a quarterly bill for trash collection. I know for a fact that some people don't pay. The trash collectors have no way of knowing who paid and who didn't. As seniors, we don't have to pay the bill, but instead buy stickers to put on the bags. $1 per sticker. We rarely have more than 1 bag, so it's cheaper than paying the quarterly bill. There have been times when we ran out of stickers and they took our trash anyway.

We are not allowed to put televisions or computers, or any electronics out for the trash. They will just leave it sit there. Used to be someone would take them to fix, but no one wants those old TVs anymore. We have to take those things to a recycling center. Right now, the only place that takes them is Staples. DH has some old computer monitors to get rid of and he better take them soon before they stop accepting them. Every once in a while, there will be a "recycling event" somewhere. They will have a day when you can take anything that's hard to dispose of...electronics, tires, old motor oil.

Here, garbage collection is paid for by property taxes. They won't take electronic garbage here either. However, the city does have a place to drop electronic garbage. That was a relief when they got that. We had been going to places that would accept electronic garbage and even 10 years ago, most places wouldn't take monitors or would only take them if you paid them a fee.

Here in L.A. garbage collection fee (sanitation) is part of the water and electricity bill. Every property owner is assigned 3 garbage bins with wheels, a bin each for general, yard clippings, and recyclables, for weekly pick up. And it's not cheap.

I remember when L.A. didn't have garbage collection. People had incinerators. I don't know what was done with cans. Maybe the city did collect those. When incinerators were banned, garbage collection was once a week and cans once a month. We kept our garbage cans in the alley.

We used to have mandatory recycling for glass and cans but it is no longer mandatory. We recycle our own cans and get money for them.

We are not allowed to put yard clippings in the trash. In the summer, they have special collections for yard waste at no extra charge, but you have to buy special bags from them for it, so there is, in effect, an extra charge.

According to Staples website, they give you points toward store credit for bringing in electronic recyclables, but don't charge you anything.

We are allowed to have a "burn barrel" but are only allowed to burn on certain days. Has to be so far any house or shed, etc. Luckily we have newspaper recycling in our local neighborhood free of charge. You have to take the newspapers to them and put them in a dumpster. That cuts down on a lot of trash and burning.

When I was a kid, the trash men would come around early and take you barrels out to the curb for you. An hour later the truck would come around and collect the trash. For food items, there was a small barrel in the ground with a lid on it. You stepped on the handle of the lid and it would open. You didn't have to bend to open it and get a whiff of the garbage. The city sold the food garbage to the piggeries outside the city.

Now, you put out your own barrels/trash bags. The city provides different colored barrels that are separate for your for recyclable items. Glass, paper/cardboard, and metal. You have to put a hefty deposit on the barrels. But you get it back if you return it, if and when you move from the city. Food items go into your trash. No more separate collections. Some yards still have the little garbage cans in the ground. Kids always ask about it. Each section has an appointed day for pickup. If there is a Monday holiday, your pickup will happen the next day after your regular day. Our day is Thursday. For weeks that have a Monday holiday, pickup will happen on Friday. :angel:

We have the Waste Management company here, they provide 2 bins - one for garbage and the other for recycling. All recycling goes in the one bin and they sort it at the facility. They have a program where they'll pay for unwanted electronics, I'm not exactly sure how that works, I've never used it. The consumer probably just takes them to the facility on the edge of town.

We get billed every 2 months, it's around $45. each billing cycle. 4 times a year they'll pick up things that are too large for the bins, anything after that we have to call and schedule a separate pick up, for a fee. Not sure how much the fee is, I've never had to do that.

The trucks have those big electronic arms that pick up the bins, and there are cameras that record what falls into the truck, and a monitor in the cab so the driver can watch what goes is. The camera records the bin number identifying the customer. I think all garbage trucks have those cameras nowadays - I think it's mainly to identify large things that shouldn't be thrown away - TV's, bodies :LOL:, and not to catch the occasional glass bottle or jar that gets thrown in the garbage instead of recycled.

Who knew there could be such an ongoing conversation about trash in petty vents...? :ROFLMAO:

I have a telephone for my printer/fax. I fax my "at home" medical information to Winthrop. I wanted to pay the bill on line like I do for two other bills I have. Verizon wants $3.25 for every time I pay on line. No thanks. A postal stamp is so much cheaper. I am sorry, but they are not going to get rich on me. :angel:

Last edited:
I have a telephone for my printer/fax. I fax my "at home" medical information to Winthrop. I wanted to pay the bill on line like I do for two other bills I have. Verizon wants $3.25 for every time I pay on line. No thanks. A postal stamp is so much cheaper. I am sorry, but they are not going to get rich on me. :angel:
I think they are idiots. It costs them less to process a bill that is paid online, than to process a cheque in an envelope.

Crazy thing is, I pay my Verizon wireless bill online without a fee (auto pay).

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I use my credit union's free online bill payer service to pay all my bills. Now when I write checks it's for gifts.

I still pay my bills by check, in the mail, the old fashioned way. Some I pay in person, like Kohls, since I'm going there anyway. The only time I make a payment online is if I forget to mail one soon enough for the due date, then I will go online and pay it. One time I was late with paying my Discover card and now they send me an email every month to remind me. LOL Verizon is another story. They send me a bill in the mail. I send them a payment in the mail. They also send me my bill by email, then they send me a text to let me know my bill is available online. Talk about overkill.

These companies WANT you to switch over to electronic billing and paying. So why don't they offer a discount for it? I remember when I tried to pay my dog license online and they wanted a $2.50 fee to pay for a $4 dog license. Instead the dog died and saved me the money.

Last edited:
I have the option of paying my tax/water/sewer bills via credit card but there's a $35. fee for each payment!

I have the option of paying my tax/water/sewer bills via credit card but there's a $35. fee for each payment!
:ohmy:

Thank goodness that stuff is all part of property taxes here. I don't have to do anything to pay my property and school taxes. The bank that has my mortgage does that. That's fairly common here. Estimated property and school taxes are added to my regular mortgage payments.

Back
Top Bottom