Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thursday is the next day for the AARP tax help, so we are going to be there an hour before they open. If that doesn't work, then I will just file a paper return again. I actually want to learn how to do it online. I am one of those old people who are not very computer savvy. Once I see it done, I will be OK for next time. They owe me money!

Carol, have you looked into Taxact Online? They are pretty straightforward, and have both online and telephone assistance.

I've used them for years.

One of the last times I filed taxes I was able to do it electronically by phone it was an easy return to do and I was even able to have my refund wired directly into my bank account.

I haven't had to file since then as I don't make the minimum amount to have to file.

I like filing online. The software walks you through step by step and you can spend as little time as you want each day or week if you choose to do so or as much time as you wish to complete the returns (Federal and State) in one evening and sent them electronically. You're the boss.

Thursday is the next day for the AARP tax help, so we are going to be there an hour before they open. If that doesn't work, then I will just file a paper return again. I actually want to learn how to do it online. I am one of those old people who are not very computer savvy. Once I see it done, I will be OK for next time. They owe me money!

Carol, what online filing product are you trying to use?

IE/Firefox? Computer Geek required.

I am having endless problems with Internet Explorer and a couple of months ago I suddenly lost Flash Player and it won't re-install. I wasn't advised that it was time for an update before the disappearance and I didn't do anything to chase it away - it just wasn't there anymore. When I go through the motions to re-install it says it has installed successfully but when I come to try and use it I get a message telling me I need to load it. I'm not sure whether the IE problems and the Flash Player installation problems are connected.

I'm wondering whether, if I uninstall Internet Explorer and load Firefox, it will solve my Flash Player problems? I had to install Firefox to order a magazine subscription recently because the subscription company required it but I de-installed it afterwards (this didn't cause the Flash problem. I had it before the Firefox installation/de-installation).

Any opinions on Firefox generally and my problem in particular? I'm on Windows 7, 64bit.

Last edited:
I use firefox for browsing all the time. Works great. Can't answer your Flash Player question. I have flash player also and have no problems.

The police are warning us of another scam in our area. The scammers pose as water department employees to gain access to homes. Once inside, one person will distract you while looking at the water meter and the other one quickly looks around for small things to steal, (cell phones, jewelry, money, ect.).

I am having endless problems with Internet Explorer and a couple of months ago I suddenly lost Flash Player and it won't re-install. I wasn't advised that it was time for an update before the disappearance and I didn't do anything to chase it away - it just wasn't there anymore. When I go through the motions to re-install it says it has installed successfully but when I come to try and use it I get a message telling me I need to load it. I'm not sure whether the IE problems and the Flash Player installation problems are connected.

I'm wondering whether, if I uninstall Internet Explorer and load Firefox, it will solve my Flash Player problems? I had to install Firefox to order a magazine subscription recently because the subscription company required it but I de-installed it afterwards (this didn't cause the Flash problem. I had it before the Firefox installation/de-installation).

Any opinions on Firefox generally and my problem in particular? I'm on Windows 7, 64bit.

I love Firefox! I won't use anything else.

As for Flash Player, completely uninstall from your control panel, re-download and reinstall, see if that works. Remember to restart your computer after uninstalling and after you reinstall.

I like both FireFox and Chrome browsers. Currently using Chrome on my PC's.
Do you still have to install Chrome in administrator mode for it to be available to other users? I had a real battle with Chrome about that on a previous computer. No one warned me that I had to do it that way and then it wouldn't let me install it for other users.

I do like Chrome.

I like Firefox and Chrome. If you use Firefox, you'll need to manually install the flash plugin, it's pretty easy. If you install Chrome, Flash will be built in and ready to use.

I love Firefox! I won't use anything else.

As for Flash Player, completely uninstall from your control panel, re-download and reinstall, see if that works. Remember to restart your computer after uninstalling and after you reinstall.
Thanks PF but I've done that - repeatedly! I've tried everything suggested on several help forums including the adobe one and it'd getting me nowhere. I know Windows 7 is getting close to out of date but it shouldn't be causing problems yet.

I like both FireFox and Chrome browsers. Currently using Chrome on my PC's.
Same here. I used FireFox for quite a while, then Himself added Chrome to the laptop. I switched, and have stayed with Chrome ever since.

What I especially like Chrome for is because Google keeps track of everything, like all my bookmarks. When our older laptop died on me about a month before vacation, I panicked. After all, links to ALL the places I was interesting in seeing were gone! :ohmy: Um, no, they weren't. Himself started up the smaller notebook, had me log in to my Chrome account...and *poof*, like magic, my entire, intact bookmark bar was showing at the top of the browser window just like it was supposed to. Happiness ensued, and I've been using Chrome exclusively ever since.

I don't like the way Chrome saves passwords. It saves them so anyone can see them. FireFox has a master password that you have to enter to see your passwords.

Speaking of Google keeping track of everything, lately I've been getting a lot of Google based ads. They are difficult to add to AdBlock Plus. They usually are random, unless I go looking for something.

Lately, i've needed to find a replacement personal shopping cart. The ads now are almost all about personal shopping carts. I hope AdBlock gets better at removing these unwanted ads. Sometimes I can get rid of the message, but it often leaves a frame, that nothing will remove. Grrrrr.

Is there a way to stop Google from using my history to flood me with ads?

Speaking of Google keeping track of everything, lately I've been getting a lot of Google based ads. They are difficult to add to AdBlock Plus. They usually are random, unless I go looking for something.

Lately, i've needed to find a replacement personal shopping cart. The ads now are almost all about personal shopping carts. I hope AdBlock gets better at removing these unwanted ads. Sometimes I can get rid of the message, but it often leaves a frame, that nothing will remove. Grrrrr.

Is there a way to stop Google from using my history to flood me with ads?

I know what you mean Z. If I mention the word bowls, ads about bowls will show up for days to come. Grrrr! :angel:

Until this latest barrage by Google, I had spent a couple of years without any ads at all.

I once had a similar problem with a TV guide site. I kept adding filters every time I saw an ad until finally I didn't see any at all. I'm hoping that will happen here.

Z, where are those ads showing up? What browser do you use? There may be a setting. Getting rid of the empty frames may be harder or impossible.

I use firefox with adblock plus, Taxy. The ads show up in the space between the line near the top starting with User CP and before the Post Reply button.

This started about a month or two ago and is very annoying. It seems to me that I remember that there was a place where I could tell Google they weren't allowed to use my information. I can't think where to look. Any help would be really great!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom