Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PF, I'm sorry to hear about your haircut! What was she thinking? I like the way my hairdresser cuts my hair, but I have to keep on her to go short enough to suit me. This recent haircut is a little too long on top, and I will be going back sooner than usual. Maybe that's why she does it? More haircuts, more $$$$$. My hair is very thick and if not cut short enough it gets too bushy.

Cell phones. One time I was walking around Target and my cart started ringing. LOL I looked down and there was a cell phone in it. I couldn't figure out how to answer it and it stopped. I took it up to Customer Service and she said the guy had been up there and called his phone trying to locate it. I don't know if he ever came back for it.

I always have kept my hair on the long side. I learned long ago not to let anyone else cut it because they always got scissors happy and cut it too short.

I figured out how to even it up and remove split ends myself; even after my stroke where the surgeon shaved part of my hair and had to chop off the rest because it was left so tangled and sticky that I couldn't undo the mess.

I just part my hair in the middle then comb it all toward my face and trim shorter in the middle tapering to long on either side. Job done!

The reason for the sharp point in the middle is because I have a habit of twisting my hair up and clamping it, When I take it down, the middle hangs short because of the deeper curl from twisting it up.

Hey, PF - are there pictures of your new place that I can see? If you already posted them, I must have missed it. Pretty please show me the link again. XOXOX

My hair goes to the middle of my back, sometimes longer. DH is my beautician, a few whacks straight across with my sewing scissors does the trick. He works for food.

I always have kept my hair on the long side. I learned long ago not to let anyone else cut it because they always got scissors happy and cut it too short.

I figured out how to even it up and remove split ends myself; even after my stroke where the surgeon shaved part of my hair and had to chop off the rest because it was left so tangled and sticky that I couldn't undo the mess.

I just part my hair in the middle then comb it all toward my face and trim shorter in the middle tapering to long on either side. Job done!

The reason for the sharp point in the middle is because I have a habit of twisting my hair up and clamping it, When I take it down, the middle hangs short because of the deeper curl from twisting it up.

Hey, PF - are there pictures of your new place that I can see? If you already posted them, I must have missed it. Pretty please show me the link again. XOXOX

When my youngest daughter was murdered, my oldest daughter went into shock. She developed alopecia. Every time she put her hand to her head, a hunk of hair would come out. She ended up wearing a wig for almost a year. Finally her hair started to come back after a serious of steroid shots. She looked great in short hair. But that experience left her so shook up that she still wears it as long as it will grow. Then when she developed the brain cancer, she thought for sure she was going to lose her hair again. But fortunately the chemo she was on, didn't cause that to happen.

Me? I tell my hairdresser the same thing every time. Off! Take it all off! I have a cowlick right at the left side of the back of my head. And all my kids have it. (The curse of my family) So when my hair starts to grow back in, it just sticks up there like the flag of the family name. I get an extremely pixie short cut to the scalp. Wash and wear.

I have thick bushy hair. A pain to take care of. Off! Take it all off! :angel:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/what-are-you-doing-73388-615.html Post 24574

Z, you will find them there. :angel:

Last edited:
We have a freight trains go thru our neighborhood. It used come at 7:30, now at comes at 4:30 and sounds horn. It is absolutely crazy. This is heavily populated area. It wakes me up and I cannot go back to sleep. Then my whole day is messed up. There are other parts of the city where they have sign at crossings that says "no horn sound" or something like that. I do not know where to complain.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Trains sound like home to me, it should take me a day to get used to them. Mom and Dad live right next to the tracks, with a train every 20 minutes during the day, you learn to pace your conversations and the TV is always loud. With us being 2 blocks away, it will be a bit muted. During the night they come back empty about every 40 minutes.

Trains sound like home to me, it should take me a day to get used to them. Mom and Dad live right next to the tracks, with a train every 20 minutes during the day, you learn to pace your conversations and the TV is always loud. With us being 2 blocks away, it will be a bit muted. During the night they come back empty about every 40 minutes.

Kinda like living with an international airport in your back yard. Fortunately, I live at the service end. Very rarely do I ever hear an airplane overhead. And then it is a small two engine one way up high. :angel:

I do not mind sound of train, but the "astronaut" behind the will, keeps sounding the horn like 20-30 times as he goes thru neighborhood, that is what I cannot stand.

I do not mind sound of train, but the "astronaut" behind the will, keeps sounding the horn like 20-30 times as he goes thru neighborhood, that is what I cannot stand.

Charlie, as crazy as it may sound, there are federal laws from the Dept. of Transportation covering the sounding of trains going through a crossing that has no gates. If I remember correctly, they have to keep blowing that horn for so many feet after the last car is past the crossing. And they are supposed to reduce their speed while going through that crossing. So it seems like it takes forever for the whole train to pass through. In the meantime, that dang horn is blowing and blowing and blowing. :angel:

Charlie, as crazy as it may sound, there are federal laws from the Dept. of Transportation covering the sounding of trains going through a crossing that has no gates. If I remember correctly, they have to keep blowing that horn for so many feet after the last car is past the crossing. And they are supposed to reduce their speed while going through that crossing. So it seems like it takes forever for the whole train to pass through. In the meantime, that dang horn is blowing and blowing and blowing. :angel:

Trains are required to sound their horn every time they cross a road on grade (at ground level). They are not required to sound it as much as they do. We have a train crossing not too far from our condo development and there is a wide variation in horn sounding. Some take a perverse pleasure of going crazy on the horn at 3:00AM. Not to mention what they do if you have the nerve to complain!

Last edited:
When I was 7 we lived in an apartment above a store while waiting for our house to be vacant for us to move in....a few months. A train went right through our back yard. The whole house shook when it went by. As a kid I thought it was fun!

We were at my friend's wedding, the subject of food and cooking came up with some people that I had just met. They were quite nice, but proclaimed that they were "foodies", what came next was some of the most pretentious drivel that I've heard in a long time. It was kind of obnoxious. Why can't people discuss their love for food without saying "I'd NEVER use tomato sauce from a jar" or "the only bread worth eating is from La Farm".

It's totally cool that they have these preferences, I'm OK with that. When you make loud proclamations in mixed company, you just sound snobbish. Good for you if you enjoy $8 a loaf bread, or you are a master of marinara! Just don't try to elevate yourself by your preferences, it's annoying.

rant over! ;)

We were at my friend's wedding, the subject of food and cooking came up with some people that I had just met. They were quite nice, but proclaimed that they were "foodies", what came next was some of the most pretentious drivel that I've heard in a long time. It was kind of obnoxious. Why can't people discuss their love for food without saying "I'd NEVER use tomato sauce from a jar" or "the only bread worth eating is from La Farm".

It's totally cool that they have these preferences, I'm OK with that. When you make loud proclamations in mixed company, you just sound snobbish. Good for you if you enjoy $8 a loaf bread, or you are a master of marinara! Just don't try to elevate yourself by your preferences, it's annoying.

rant over! ;)

I laugh too. We run into folks like that all the time. I keep my mouth shut, though it's hard.

That was the reason I gave up going to wine tastings.

Understand. I like wine, and can tell what it tastes like. I also like Velveeta and Rotel and Campbell's Cream of Something soups. Food snobs, I like not so much.

Last edited:
Understand. I like wine, and can tell what it tastes like. I also like Velveeta and Rotel and Campbell's Cream of Something soups. Food snobs, I like not so much.

Exactly!

A good friend of mine knows how much I like to cook most things from scratch and she was talking about a pot roast that she made, and said, "I cheat, but it tastes so good, you'd never make it though", then I told her that my recipe was a can of cream of mushroom soup, a packet of onion soup mix and some Worcestershire sauce over a browned roast in a crock pot. If it ain't broke! It really is my favorite pot roast, I couldn't care less if it comes from cans and packets!

I don't use cake mixes because I don't care for the taste or texture, but if one came out that tasted like scratch, I'd probably give it a try. I know exactly why some people use cake mixes, scratch cakes can be tricky to get right sometimes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom